What's new

Honda PCX

We get the Pearl Jupiter Gray, Matte Suit Blue Metallic, Mat Galactic Black Metallic, and Pearl Jasmine White.
Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 19.15.19.png

We get the Pearl Jupiter Gray, Matte Suit Blue Metallic, Mat Galactic Black Metallic, and Pearl Jasmine White.
Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 19.15.19.png
We only get one color. It's been white 2 years in a row so I hope we'll get to see a new color for 2023.

I washed the wife's PCX. It's my commuter bike when it rains. Let's just say Gwen A doesn't approve much... :lol3

It was so dirty I think it came out a different color. I rode it to a dealership. I just wanted to check out a few bikes. So the PCX tops out at 68 mph. I can't squeeze any more mph out of it. It's fine. What I do enjoy is how quickly it gets to 60 mph. It works really well in Houston traffic. Highways, loops, avenues, streets. It's at home in and around the city. It's the most used 2 wheeled vehicle we have.

FoJe9j8X0AUoMXt?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

We decided to venture out for breakfast this morning. We took the PCX and because it's Sunday, you can pretty much park wherever you want. Kidding! You can park wherever you want on a PCX anyway.

Cool little place. Because we are early birds, we had the patio all to ourselves. They had a (new to me) brioche cube. The custard in it was incredible! I'd definitely want to go back.

FqeVbUGWAAAE8mD?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

FqeVbUDXoAEgE1e?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

FqeVbUGWAAIaANx?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

The Asian market has been reporting a new 160 (157cc, 11,8 kW, 131 kg) version about to land. With the (relatively) large fuel tank and low price it would make a bargain. Also a "New Design Full Digital Meter Panel". Makes me remember the Honda Helix fondly.

Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 15.48.42.png

2023 PCX!

$250 more than last year. Yeech.

2023 PCX!

$250 more than last year. Yeech.

So, about the same percentage that most things have increased in the last year. Increases on delivery and "fuel surcharge", as well. Now, if Honda could just get their dealers to stop with the bullshit fees.

We have had a PCX in our home for the past 10 years. We've bought each version of it since 2013. We now have a 2021 PCX we bought in March 2022. It's got about 2,000 miles on it. I average 150 miles a month for about $5 of gas. You can't beat that. 150 miles in the city is actually a lot. It's become our (my?) go-to vehicle especially since we live in the inner part of the city. You can park anywhere. You can carry pretty much anything and definitely more than most bikes I've owned. It's comfortable two-up and it's fast enough two-up as well. The PCX does it all including highways. Yes I take the highway (with my wife on the back) here in Houston. We just did this morning to go have breakfast. The weather has been amazing here and we taking full advantage of it.

Fxsz2mkWAAIjV6k?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Fxsz2mjWYAIKuDV?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Fxsz2mjX0AEqH_K?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Fxs1_vcWcAEArHF?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I took the PCX to a morning appointment. I took an overpass with a long way down so I decided to see what max speed I could get out of the PCX. I still only got 68 mph which I have reached on the flat as well. It simply won't go any faster. Doesn't matter if I'm going downhill or not. The rev limiter kicks in and prevents you from going faster. 68 mph it is for our little 2021 PCX.

That is still a pretty good speed for such a small bike, with nearly 100 mpg. There is always a possibility of getting higher gearing, or taller rear tire. But that would affect acceleration.

The PCX is a very nice balance of performance, economy, and price. We sold ours because we each moved to a bigger bike and only have room for one bike each. Wish I still had one. Not sure why we think a 150cc scooter should be able to go faster than 68 mph? There is a limit to what any small bike can do... well, what any bike can do... whether that is top speed, mpg, comfort, etc. For us, it was 5 (me) and 6 (her) years of ownership with the PCXes, and zero complaints.

When I can squeeze an indicated 73 mph out of a 5 speed GROM with a 125 cc air cooled engine, I'd like to think a 157 cc liquid cooled engine would do a little better than 68 mph. Honda traded performance for mpg. That's fine. I'm not complaining.

The Smax with 155 cc is good for around 73 MPH and it has a claimed 14.8 HP, less than the PCX. My ADV 150 also tops out around 66-68 MPH due to the rev limiter and doesn't get much better gas mileage than my Smax did. Honda could make the PCX go faster. I don't know why they limited it. Possible reasons are Mileage, longevity, emissions, noise or even liability concerns. 68 MPH isn't bad for a 150 class scooter but a few more MPH would be nice for American traffic.

I did read in the ADV150 thread that someone got 73 MPH out of an ADV150 with DR Pulley sliders. Possibly that would work with a PCX as well.

When I can squeeze an indicated 73 mph out of a 5 speed GROM with a 125 cc air cooled engine, I'd like to think a 157 cc liquid cooled engine would do a little better than 68 mph. Honda traded performance for mpg. That's fine. I'm not complaining.
Having a motorcycle with some scooter-like attributes (love that DCT), I'd put money on the 5 speed transmission on the Grom is what gives it more top end than the CVT on the PCX, rather than the small difference in CCs. And in the grand scheme of things, either of those bikes at their top end are a ride I wouldn't care to be on. I can't speak about the Grom, 'cause I have no hands-on experience. But the few times we ran the PCXes on the highway at their top speed before the limiter kicked in wasn't pleasant.

Having a motorcycle with some scooter-like attributes (love that DCT), I'd put money on the 5 speed transmission on the Grom is what gives it more top end than the CVT on the PCX, rather than the small difference in CCs. And in the grand scheme of things, either of those bikes at their top end are a ride I wouldn't care to be on. I can't speak about the Grom, 'cause I have no hands-on experience. But the few times we ran the PCXes on the highway at their top speed before the limiter kicked in wasn't pleasant.
I rode with a guy recently who has a 22 Grom. He says mid 50s is all it will do on level ground. Most reviews I have read have said around 59-60 mph but 70s downhill. I think the Grom's rev limiter doesn't kick in until a much higher speed.

I rode with a guy recently who has a 22 Grom. He says mid 50s is all it will do on level ground. Most reviews I have read have said around 59-60 mph but 70s downhill. I think the Grom's rev limiter doesn't kick in until a much higher speed.
The GROM doesn't have a rev limiter (to my knowledge). I've been in the red zone a few times. It just runs out of juice.

The 2024 is exactly the same as the 2023 model except for a higher price. At least the ADV160 will be coming with a choice of 2 whole colors.

As for OTD prices that will depend a lot on supply and demand. If units start sitting on showroom floors then there may be some room for negotiations. If not, OTD prices will stay high.

Honda Thailand has unveiled a slightly restyled PCX which now features a keyless start. Should be new to us for 2025.

L1-KV-ADV-W1920xH768-PX.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh