What's new

Honda Super Cub

cabanza

Member Number
Honda didn't see fit to add a seat to the 2022 Super Cub and that's a real shame. The matte dark grey is nice but you can tell it will collect dust. I still want one. I have a Trail 125 and I think the semi automatic gearbox is fantastic! C'mon Honda! Bring the light grey/ blue one!

-review-specs-scooter-motorcycle-automatic-moped-3.jpg

I think Honda has a real hit with the 125cc motor and all the bikes they put it in. Now if they would just make it a 150 and 65MPH+ top speed it would be a home run.

I think Honda has a real hit with the 125cc motor and all the bikes they put it in. Now if they would just make it a 150 and 65MPH+ top speed it would be a home run.
I agree that a 150 cc would be great. There was a rumor last summer that Honda would make the Trail 125 a Trail 150. It didn't happen and I can see why. There are too many countries that have a 125 cc license type. A 150 cc would obviously change that.I also think Honda is pumping as many 125 cc as possible to try and curb electric engines.

I agree that a 150 cc would be great. There was a rumor last summer that Honda would make the Trail 125 a Trail 150. It didn't happen and I can see why. There are too many countries that have a 125 cc license type. A 150 cc would obviously change that.I also think Honda is pumping as many 125 cc as possible to try and curb electric engines.
I can see where Honda has little incentive to make a 150 when they can't keep up with the demand for 125s. But, they made the PCX a 150 and sell a 125 version in countries with license restrictions. Maybe they will do that once they catch up with the demand for the 125. Or maybe some other manufacturers will see the success Honda is having with the 125 and try to one up them with a 150.

Are you listening Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha?

I can see where Honda has little incentive to make a 150 when they can't keep up with the demand for 125s. But, they made the PCX a 150 and sell a 125 version in countries with license restrictions. Maybe they will do that once they catch up with the demand for the 125. Or maybe some other manufacturers will see the success Honda is having with the 125 and try to one up them with a 150.

Are you listening Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha?
Because you are citing the PCX, I am going to use Italy as an example. They have both the PCX 125 and PCX 160. Licensing isn't the same (European law - not Italian). While Italy has a market for both, it's a special case. There is no PCX 160 in other European countries (to my knowledge). Vespa does the same thing. They sell the 125 cc in most countries and the 150 cc in a few ones. We are lucky we get the 150 cc. At least someone at Vespa USA had some sort of sense.

Honda and Suzuki (may be Yamaha too?) sell a 150 cc air cooled underbone in Asia (primarily Thailand and Malaysia). Why we get what we get in the US is beyond me. It's not like anything is manufactured or assembled here. It's also not a case of getting bike from a single country either because we get bikes manufactured in Thailand, Japan, and now Mexico with the NAVI.

The problem with 125 and 150cc bikes in this country is they are just a bit too slow for traffic in many places. I'm not talking about riding on the interstate highways. I had a 155cc Yamaha Smax which had 14.8 HP. It was fast enough to ride most places and even some interstates. It topped out around 73 MPH. The problem is that most of the 125/150cc bikes we get fall well short of 15 HP and top out around 60 with a few good for around 65. Throw in a hill and they are even slower. I'd be happy to get some of the 15HP 125's you get in Europe. We get Groms with less than 10 HP.

The problem with 125 and 150cc bikes in this country is they are just a bit too slow for traffic in many places. I'm not talking about riding on the interstate highways. I had a 155cc Yamaha Smax which had 14.8 HP. It was fast enough to ride most places and even some interstates. It topped out around 73 MPH. The problem is that most of the 125/150cc bikes we get fall well short of 15 HP and top out around 60 with a few good for around 65. Throw in a hill and they are even slower. I'd be happy to get some of the 15HP 125's you get in Europe. We get Groms with less than 10 HP.
Ive seen two strokes make 15hp from 125cc. :confused

Ive seen two strokes make 15hp from 125cc. :confused
Considering that some 600cc four stroke fours make 120+ HP, a 125 tuned the same way would make 25 HP. The 125's we get here on the US are generally tuned for 9-10 HP. If you go back to the 60s and 70s we did get some small bikes that made pretty good hp. At one time Europe got some 125cc 2 stroke street bikes tuned up to around 25 HP or more. Because of tiered licensing they are restricted to 15 HP or you couldn't ride it on a 125cc license.

25th Annual Cub Cafe meeting in Japan:

ym2301-75-01.jpg

ym2301-75-03.jpg

When I lived in Japan in the late 80’s the tofu delivery guy rode a super cub. Even when it snowed. He showed up with chains in his tires.

Just went for a short ride this morning. Uppers 50s but we should warm up to low 70s. That's a lot better that my commute last week in the upper 30s. It's still cold though. I did another fill up and got 114 mpg. I've also tried to see how fast I can go in each gear. It's hard to give an exact number because it's an old style speedometer. That's funny as well because everything else is digital. So a little less than 25 mph in 1st gear, 40ish in second, 50-2 in third gear and just about 60 in 4th. It's very close to what I got on the 2022 GROM I used to have. The GROM had a better top speed but my Super Cub isn't fully broken in yet. The motor feels stronger than the Trail I had. I've also started in 2nd gear at a red light. I wondered why it was so sluggish. D'oh!

I love the bike but I'm just not a fan of the fob. It's annoying as hell.

FoNmx17X0AAguxU?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Back
Top Bottom