What's new

Honda XR150L

For the US it has a 19 -17 inch wheel set in steel from what I read.
Some other markets get a 21-17 I think.
I wonder if that is final, or will they upscale it for the US?

Fuel injection gives great throttle response over a CV carb, and typicly a bit better mpg, but a carb allows the use of every drop of gas without fuel pump worries.
The US version may get a 3.something gallon gas tank which is very nice stock.
A used DR200 is going to be much better and maybe cheaper, a KLX230s or the XT250 is in another class.

You could get two China 250's for less then the XR150 I bet. One spare...
my guesstimate is we will probably get a cheap version come in here from mexico with the navi. probably the wheels you say, no fork gaters, plain cheap transportation, build wise, price, who knows, we'll see. you can get 2 or 3 china Built bikes for the price of jap Designed bikes, mostly the small bikes and scooters.

my guesstimate is we will probably get a cheap version come in here from mexico with the navi. probably the wheels you say, no fork gaters, plain cheap transportation, build wise, price, who knows, we'll see. you can get 2 or 3 china Built bikes for the price of jap Designed bikes, mostly the small bikes and scooters.
I'm fine with the bike sold in Mexico as long as we get it for cheap as well. They are very solid bikes.

Dork released a video on his 2nd Brozz. I see this bike as the main competitor to the 150. I could get a brozz and pay tax and title for around $2500. I haven't owned a cg engine clone but I do like the pushrod gx and clone engines.

The 2022 has a 21" front wheel.

Dork released a video on his 2nd Brozz. I see this bike as the main competitor to the 150. I could get a brozz and pay tax and title for around $2500. I haven't owned a cg engine clone but I do like the pushrod gx and clone engines.

The 2022 has a 21" front wheel.

A friend of mine bought a Brozz. I think he got it OTD for around 1600 or 1800 bucks. He wanted to see if a small bore dual sport would work for him. He ran the shit out of it for around 2500 miles then sold it and bought a KLX250. I had the chance to ride it. Unlike the all of the Japanese dual sport bikes the seat was more than an Upholstered brick and was pretty comfortable. I thought the bike worked pretty good except for the brakes which really sucked. A different set of brake pads would probably improve the brakes.

The engine was down on power compared to my KLX250 so my friend spend most of his time with the throttle pinned riding behind me. Although the bike has a much bigger tank than my KLX, it got much worse fuel mileage compared to my KLX so the range was about the same.

Everything considered it was a good bike for the money IMO.

PA240159-XL.jpg

A friend of mine bought a Brozz. I think he got it OTD for around 1600 or 1800 bucks. He wanted to see if a small bore dual sport would work for him. He ran the shit out of it for around 2500 miles then sold it and bought a KLX250. I had the chance to ride it. Unlike the all of the Japanese dual sport bikes the seat was more than an Upholstered brick and was pretty comfortable. I thought the bike worked pretty good except for the brakes which really sucked. A different set of brake pads would probably improve the brakes.

The engine was down on power compared to my KLX250 so my friend spend most of his time with the throttle pinned riding behind me. Although the bike has a much bigger tank than my KLX, it got much worse fuel mileage compared to my KLX so the range was about the same.

Everything considered it was a good bike for the money IMO.

PA240159-XL.jpg
The clones have always been inconsistent on the tune and valve lash. Definitely some fiddling goes a long way. I would probably go with the conventional fork model like the raven, tbr7 or x-pect. The x-pect is efi. The new 250 are also newer chassis, overhead cam and 6 speed. Alot of choices. I still like the honda. I would really like the honda drop shipped to my house or depot in a crate.

The clones have always been inconsistent on the tune and valve lash. Definitely some fiddling goes a long way. I would probably go with the conventional fork model like the raven, tbr7 or x-pect. The x-pect is efi. The new 250 are also newer chassis, overhead cam and 6 speed. Alot of choices. I still like the honda. I would really like the honda drop shipped to my house or depot in a crate.
I was on a dual sport ride a couple of years ago where we had 4 Chinese dual sport bikes of various brands all using the 230cc engine. They all did fine on the ride.

I was on a dual sport ride a couple of years ago where we had 4 Chinese dual sport bikes of various brands all using the 230cc engine. They all did fine on the ride.
Clones work great for the price and are fun to tinker with. But the cool part about the 150 is the parts. The racks are already available. It is a proven farm bike. Around here that might convince some atv enthusiasts to switch over. The honda name is widely accepted in the farm community. I mostly ride big 4 bikes but have owned clones. So I find all of this interesting. If I organized a guided back country tour the honda might be a hoot for a rental fleet. The ride, experience and sights would be the priority. I would rather rent the honda over any clone or more performance oriented bikes. I kinda predict the 150 might be a fleet bike.

Clones work great for the price and are fun to tinker with. But the cool part about the 150 is the parts. The racks are already available. It is a proven farm bike. Around here that might convince some atv enthusiasts to switch over. The honda name is widely accepted in the farm community. I mostly ride big 4 bikes but have owned clones. So I find all of this interesting. If I organized a guided back country tour the honda might be a hoot for a rental fleet. The ride, experience and sights would be the priority. I would rather rent the honda over any clone or more performance oriented bikes. I kinda predict the 150 might be a fleet bike.
No doubt the Honda will be higher quality than the clone bikes. My problem with the Honda is that it's not that much lighter than my KLX250. It's 20 pounds heavier wet but that includes and extra gallon of gas. The seat is a bit lower and the bigger gas tank is nice but if wonder how well it will run if it comes with a carb. I think that price will be a big factor in how well it sells.

No doubt the Honda will be higher quality than the clone bikes. My problem with the Honda is that it's not that much lighter than my KLX250. It's 20 pounds heavier wet but that includes and extra gallon of gas. The seat is a bit lower and the bigger gas tank is nice but if wonder how well it will run if it comes with a carb. I think that price will be a big factor in how well it sells.
Easy access slide carb and roller cam followers will help big time. I think the 150 will be way more practical than a grom. But I agree..when comparing to xt, dr, klx and crf. It is a lame bike on paper with a proven track record. The whole mess is the price. I kinda would like to see a seperate dealer network for 250cc and less motorcycles only backed by mom and pop shops. Kinda crazy for the US market. The Philippines the 150 is $1800.....

Easy access slide carb and roller cam followers will help big time. I think the 150 will be way more practical than a grom. But I agree..when comparing to xt, dr, klx and crf. It is a lame bike on paper with a proven track record. The whole mess is the price. I kinda would like to see a seperate dealer network for 250cc and less motorcycles only backed by mom and pop shops. Kinda crazy for the US market. The Philippines the 150 is $1800.....
These days all the Japanese 250-300cc dual sports are over 6K OTD. The CT125's are at least 5K OTD. I think as supply catches up to demand the price of the CT125s will come down. If they can sell the 150 for under $4,500 OTD or better yet under 4K, then it might sell pretty well. I don't see that happening. Honda dealers will charge all kinds of fees and jack up the price too high. I hope I'm wrong.

Personally I'm a fan of small bikes but I don't see buying one of these. I already have a KLX250. I could see buying a CT125, Grom or some other mini moto.

These days all the Japanese 250-300cc dual sports are over 6K OTD. The CT125's are at least 5K OTD. I think as supply catches up to demand the price of the CT125s will come down. If they can sell the 150 for under $4,500 OTD or better yet under 4K, then it might sell pretty well. I don't see that happening. Honda dealers will charge all kinds of fees and jack up the price too high. I hope I'm wrong.

Personally I'm a fan of small bikes but I don't see buying one of these. I already have a KLX250. I could see buying a CT125, Grom or some other mini moto.
Maybe that is why fleet makes sense. 3 days and hanging with friends wherever and fly back home. The new adventure might be fly and ride 150s. Hey we all like ringing out under powered bikes.
But a city kid might ride a 5 mile wheely with a nibbi carb and a gold kmc chain. .....What if the modern UJM is the xr150l?

2023 and we get a vm carb honda...priceless

Maybe that is why fleet makes sense. 3 days and hanging with friends wherever and fly back home. The new adventure might be fly and ride 150s. Hey we all like ringing out under powered bikes.
But a city kid might ride a 5 mile wheely with a nibbi carb and a gold kmc chain. .....What if the modern UJM is the xr150l?

2023 and we get a vm carb honda...priceless
I get the fun of a small underpowered bike. Back in the early 2000s I bought a TTR125 for my wife but ended up riding it more than she did. It was way too small for me but I still had a blast on it.

wknudsen_OLD_20PICS_20AND_20SCANS_db_202_zpsxluchnit.jpg

But the TTR was probably close to a hundred pounds less than the Honda 150. The Honda isn't much smaller or lighter than a full sized dual sport bike. It just has less power and suspension. At least it is street legal unlike the TTR.

True. It's the same weight as a CRF450RL, which is a shame.
It is a lot lower which would make it much easier to ride for a beginner or someone with a short inseam. It will also be much less expensive. However, I get your point. It seems that the manufacturers don't make any effort to keep the weight down on their less expensive bikes. The KLX230 for example is only about 10 pounds lighter than the KLX250. Looking at the specs it should be a lot lighter. I see no reason the 150 shouldn't be closer to 250 pounds.

I think the xr150l was intended for 2up riding and moderate offroad. It is a top rental from tigit. I wonder if the tmx155 was more popular for many reasons such as the sidecar mount and extra shock mounts from the factory. I would prefer the tmx155 over the xr150l. I have waited years for a tmx clone. We have plenty of great bikes. But my only cargo bikes have been scooters or a hack. My 50cc scoot hauled two 80lb bags of concrete on the floorboard like a champ.

TMX155

Honda had to compete with itself. The xr150l is heavy for a reason!

If it runs ok at higher elevations, it might work well as a rental in Colorado, too. I'd guess it'd need a re-jet, though.
Slide carb that hangs off to the side should be easy enough to tune. My recent thought is a good sidecar setup with easy access. Then offer everyone in town a ride.. smiles and motorcycles can go a long way. Atv and golf carts are the choice around here.

How many small bike rentals are there in the USA? There are plenty of Harley rentals and some places have a lot of 50cc scooter rentals but I don't see a lot of places renting smaller motorcycles. Sure there are some but if Honda is depending on rental companies they won't be selling enough to justify the expense of making it EPA legal. They need to sell this to consumers. Honda has proved that small bikes can sell here with the Grom, monkey, Super Cub and trail cub. If Honda wants this bike to sell they need to keep the price down.

Honda Canada already features the XR150L on their website.

MSRP is $4,589 but a CRF300L is $7,462. The US CRF300L retails at $5,349 which means that the XR150L could retail at $3,300.

Top Bottom Back Refresh