What's new

Honda XR150L

I still think pricing is an issue for the US market. The other markets usually have a fixed ride away price. And the clone pricing is fixed in the US. There might be a $100 difference between online distributers on the same model. Or $50 for a different shipping zone.

But maybe the you tubers will get the first batch with the big thumbnail..,$3719!! And that would be navi tactics all over again. Then reddit posters list $7200 quotes.

A Canadian CRF300L is CAN $7,462 or US $5,545. The XR150L is $4,589 or US $3,410. I'm pretty sure US MSRP will be less than $3,410. $3,300? Or for the psychological effect, $3,299.

I wonder why Honda holds on to that drum brake? There's nothing wrong with it at all, but it's not like they don't already have hubs and calipers they could throw at this thing cheaply.

Just seems odd to style up the body work to look all modern then hand out those box tubing swingarms with drum hubs in em.

The spoke geometry is decent on the drum hub. And in wet muddy environments will cause less problems than the front. I prefer drum in snow, ice and salt. Calipers will corrode and require alot of maintenance. I constantly kicked my front caliper to get it to release. Every part siezed. I fiddled with it constantly from the salt. Pads siezing in the bracket..piston siezing in the bore. Not bad if yearly rebuilds are done or after exposure to corrosives.

A Canadian CRF300L is CAN $7,462 or US $5,545. The XR150L is $4,589 or US $3,410. I'm pretty sure US MSRP will be less than $3,410. $3,300? Or for the psychological effect, $3,299.
There is psychological affect of 3x the clone price for a honda. The brozz is now $2400 shipped= $7200 otd. Or 4x a raven at $1700 = $6800 otd. But this is a china made honda and Japan labor retirements dont quite factor in. I went searching for otd and quotes...crf300l was quoted at $9000 otd to one consumer. But the word is out on ridiculous fees but financing will possibly have a minimum of $5k plus. Its a honda!

There is psychological affect of 3x the clone price for a honda. The brozz is now $2400 shipped= $7200 otd. Or 4x a raven at $1700 = $6800 otd. But this is a china made honda and Japan labor retirements dont quite factor in. I went searching for otd and quotes...crf300l was quoted at $9000 otd to one consumer. But the word is out on ridiculous fees but financing will possibly have a minimum of $5k plus. Its a honda!
Hopefully dealers (and Honda) learned from the Navi experience.

The spoke geometry is decent on the drum hub. And in wet muddy environments will cause less problems than the front. I prefer drum in snow, ice and salt. Calipers will corrode and require alot of maintenance. I constantly kicked my front caliper to get it to release. Every part siezed. I fiddled with it constantly from the salt. Pads siezing in the bracket..piston siezing in the bore. Not bad if yearly rebuilds are done or after exposure to corrosives.
You have solid points.

Hopefully dealers (and Honda) learned from the Navi experience.
I think that is the 2023 hold up. Kinda of interesting. Cheaper bikes mean more riders. One thing is maybe riding schools will get a decent price with a do not sell for a year agreement. Which goes back to fleet use.

$3400.00 list in the US and around here add at least $1000.00 out the door so figure $4500.00.
They will sell to the MSF as there is not much else, and a few people who think its a regular Honda and not
a 284 pound 150 with limited suspension?
A used bike price might be very attractive, say a year old with 500 or 1000 miles on it for $2500.00?
By the time it hits the used market there might be aftermarket for it.

Where is all the weight? The exhaust? The steel wheels will add some, but not that much...

I wonder why Honda holds on to that drum brake? There's nothing wrong with it at all, but it's not like they don't already have hubs and calipers they could throw at this thing cheaply.

Just seems odd to style up the body work to look all modern then hand out those box tubing swingarms with drum hubs in em.
A drum is still cheaper. On a small low performance bike a rear drum is adequate.

How many people would care about that?
I think a disk setup would make the bike even heavier for no advantage.

How many people would care about that?
I think a disk setup would make the bike even heavier for no advantage.
I have owned some small bikes with a rear drum and others with discs front and rear. The dual disc bikes had much better brakes than a disc/drum setup, at least on the street. Off road there might even be some advantage to the drum on a small bike.

$3400.00 list in the US and around here add at least $1000.00 out the door so figure $4500.00.
They will sell to the MSF as there is not much else, and a few people who think its a regular Honda and not
a 284 pound 150 with limited suspension?
A used bike price might be very attractive, say a year old with 500 or 1000 miles on it for $2500.00?
By the time it hits the used market there might be aftermarket for it.

Where is all the weight? The exhaust? The steel wheels will add some, but not that much...
$4500 isn’t worth ditching my CT for it.

I remember when I converted the rear drum on my XL500 to XR250L disc hub with cush drive I lots several pounds in the swap, that included the caliper and master cylinder as well.

Honda already has rear disc hubs from other bikes it can use without incurring any R&D or tooling costs. Discs hubs are a simple, small aluminum hub and that's all. Drum hubs are much larger and require extra machining because of the steel brake drum liner in it. Then there's the brake plate that holds the shoes, and it's splined activation arm, which is even more machine work and an additional large part to produce. Just the shoes out of a drum brake weigh as much or more than an entire caliper. That said, the drum on this bike is exceptionally small in size.

If an Average Joe like me can convert a drum bike to disc and see several pounds and lots of complexity lost, I'm sure Honda knows of the advantages. Whatever Honda's reason is, they are choosing to ignore weight and complexity. Honda is good at selling bikes based on a well earned reputation of building superb motorcycle. If I had I guess, they keep that brake because they know the market for that bike wants that brake. Because discs are cheaper, lighter and streamline assembly lines.

Reactions: MVI
I remember when I converted the rear drum on my XL500 to XR250L disc hub with cush drive I lots several pounds in the swap, that included the caliper and master cylinder as well.

Honda already has rear disc hubs from other bikes it can use without incurring any R&D or tooling costs. Discs hubs are a simple, small aluminum hub and that's all. Drum hubs are much larger and require extra machining because of the steel brake drum liner in it. Then there's the brake plate that holds the shoes, and it's splined activation arm, which is even more machine work and an additional large part to produce. Just the shoes out of a drum brake weigh as much or more than an entire caliper. That said, the drum on this bike is exceptionally small in size.

If an Average Joe like me can convert a drum bike to disc and see several pounds and lots of complexity lost, I'm sure Honda knows of the advantages. Whatever Honda's reason is, they are choosing to ignore weight and complexity. Honda is good at selling bikes based on a well earned reputation of building superb motorcycle. If I had I guess, they keep that brake because they know the market for that bike wants that brake. Because discs are cheaper, lighter and streamline assembly lines.
i also wondered why they keep those drums. they still use them on larger bikes like some cruisers. and some of the same bikes sold elsewhere will have the disk but not here, strange.

i also wondered why they keep those drums. they still use them on larger bikes like some cruisers. and some of the same bikes sold elsewhere will have the disk but not here, strange.
Ok, that's really weird to be producing two different braking systems for the same model. That makes me even more curious!

Ok, that's really weird to be producing two different braking systems for the same model. That makes me even more curious!
I have a Honda ADV150. In most of the world it comes with discs front and rear. The US model gets a rear drum. The general opinion is that Honda wanted to keep the price down on the US model. Besides the different rear brake it only has ABS on the front. For off road I prefer not having ABS on the rear and the drum is just fine. On the pavement a disc and 2 wheel ABS would be nice

My Monkey has a disk at both ends and ABS on the front only which I like.
You can not have abs on a drum setup, and the XR will never get abs in the US I bet.
Non Vacuum carb I think and a rear drum, if they do bring it in with a round slide (not CV) carb I wonder how they get it through emissions...
No air injection, no cat, round slide carb, just like the old days!
It does not have a points ignition, does it?

My Monkey has a disk at both ends and ABS on the front only which I like.
You can not have abs on a drum setup, and the XR will never get abs in the US I bet.
Non Vacuum carb I think and a rear drum, if they do bring it in with a round slide (not CV) carb I wonder how they get it through emissions...
No air injection, no cat, round slide carb, just like the old days!
It does not have a points ignition, does it?
Emission are based on rated hp.

Back
Top Bottom