What's new

How and when did you stoop so low as to start riding scooters?

I had quit motorcycles the year before I met David...My Honda ST1100 was becoming a nightmare for me. The weight and extremely top heaviness was the demise of motocycles for me..age arthritis and other health factors had me quit riding altogether...It wasn't until I met David did I rekindle my love..and interest in riding again. I knew a litle scooter was not for me... BTW I never once thought or cared about what others thought..I have had very favorable responses from all my mototcyle friends...So they were impressed with the Silver Wing on the ffirst ride i took with them on it..They all ride FJR1300s and they thought they would have to wait for me to catch up..I quickly dispelled that notion. And my buddies were positively impressed...I can do all my grocery shopping and still have a LD scooter if I want it ..But age and health are still limiting my mileages..But ..whats not to love? I am soon to be 71 yrs of age. Being able to continue riding is the main goal..and this Silver Wing meets that goal head on...

Last edited:
The only sucker is the fat guy gloating while soft pedalling an ebike. :baby

#1 munchkin ordered a 300 Vespa. Two years already? Must be... :dunno I didn't think it was that long. No car licence (we don't live in a car culture), but she has her glider licence and last week she turned 18 and started her pilots licence. Oh, and she is sub 50kg with 260W+ FTP so is a useful climber on a bicycle. :imaposer

Quoting myself... :dunno

Further to this #1 had the bike delivered here last week for a few goodies..

Last edited:
We had scooter parking lot races back in high school. They would go on till the cops showed and everyone scattered. There was a line of them out front of the school, all of them had varying levels of road rash.

Then the YSR50 came out and parking lot racing was never the same.

We had scooter parking lot races back in high school. They would go on till the cops showed and everyone scattered. There was a line of them out front of the school, all of them had varying levels of road rash.

Then the YSR50 came out and parking lot racing was never the same.
It is a small miracle that I didnt get my license suspended riding a 2 stroke tuned 50cc. We raced everywhere. And I shut down more stoplight races than any bike. But across town in rush hr or 2am it was on with no rules across town. I owned a fzr600 tuned with a yosh pipe at the time but the scooter rides were nuts.

I started riding a scooter about a week and a half ago. I was one who never thougth I'd be on a scooter. Never looked down on scooters, just never thought they would meet my needs. As for motorcycles, my main thing was riding twisties in the NC mountains, which I could do day trips and some weekends (and a week every June in Maggie Valley with a group from all over, including Canada). A few bikes back, I was riding a Honda ST1300 which I loved, except for the 700+ lbs. Last couple of bikes have been just under 500 lbs (Vstrom 650 and my current Tracer 900 GT), and although the weight was much better, they are tall for my 30.5" inseem. Therefore I don't really use my motorcycle for around town stuff. I moved farther from the mountains so I'm not able to do day rides up there, but still go for a few days occassionally. Since I was riding much less, I thought I'd look for something small to ride around. I considered a Grom, and when looking at that, I discovered the Honda ADV 150/160. The ADV seemed to suit my mission much better so I ended up with my first scoot, a gently used 2022 ADV 150. Having a blast with it so far. It won't be my last scooter.

Interestingly when I worked at a Yamaha dealer around the time they started selling scooters we had a couple scooter adventurers. These were in the 200cc range but had no problem going highway speeds. One guy had a trailer and had been to the 4 corners of the US on his Riva. Another just loaded it up with bags ( a ridiculous amount) and drove all over the west. It made me look at scooters in a whole new light. Interestingly while doing the service on them all they they needed was tires, oil and filters and that's about it, they ran and rode great despite having racked up more miles in a single trip then many motorcycles and cars ever see on one.

I started riding a scooter about a week and a half ago. I was one who never thougth I'd be on a scooter. Never looked down on scooters, just never thought they would meet my needs. As for motorcycles, my main thing was riding twisties in the NC mountains, which I could do day trips and some weekends (and a week every June in Maggie Valley with a group from all over, including Canada). A few bikes back, I was riding a Honda ST1300 which I loved, except for the 700+ lbs. Last couple of bikes have been just under 500 lbs (Vstrom 650 and my current Tracer 900 GT), and although the weight was much better, they are tall for my 30.5" inseem. Therefore I don't really use my motorcycle for around town stuff. I moved farther from the mountains so I'm not able to do day rides up there, but still go for a few days occassionally. Since I was riding much less, I thought I'd look for something small to ride around. I considered a Grom, and when looking at that, I discovered the Honda ADV 150/160. The ADV seemed to suit my mission much better so I ended up with my first scoot, a gently used 2022 ADV 150. Having a blast with it so far. It won't be my last scooter.
😎 WELCOME 😎

I think.the Zuma series highlighted scooters. It was sad when yamaha killed off the 50f and left the US with only the ruckus. Funny.. tomos died that same year..sorta kinda. This left the US to the ev boom and 10kw of power with zero paperwork. An A3 with helical gears was about as great as a burg650. Both machines were superb and affordable for excelling at their intended duties..Any true enthusiast would hopefully appreciate the 80s till now scooter/moped movement. The best part was the snail VS stepthrough pedal arguments....all long ago..if sny ever visited the "army" in the late 90s to early millenia.

I wanted a scooter so bad when I was maybe 12. After relentlessly pestering my mom she finally caved and agreed but with one caveat, I had to pay for it. She probably figured that would throw enough of a wrench in the works that I’d never get one. WRONG. :lol2

Back then we were one of the first houses in a subdivision that was about 1 square mile. In Michigan we have bottle deposits (10¢) and with all the construction sites there was plenty of opportunity to scavenge for bottles. It was really a lot of fun. I collected cans and bottles almost every day as soon as the workers would leave and it was starting to add up.

I asked my grandpa if he had any work for me at his house in Wyandotte. I went and stayed with my grandparents for a week. My grandpa worked me dawn till dusk everyday. I’m guessing the paint was on sale because he had a bunch of gallons of silver paint. He kept me painting until it was gone; I painted all the block around the base of the house, the chain link fence around the yard, the porches. I painted until there wasn’t any paint left. That place was sparkling silver by the end of the week! Being the old school guy that he was he’d pour gasoline on my hands to wash up at the end of each day and then my grandma would have a big dinner ready for me. I’d go to sleep tallying up my hours, calculating how much more money I needed and reading the Yamaha brochure for the ten thousandth time.

Soon enough I had the money and my mom kept her word and I bought a Yamaha Razz. I loved that thing! I racked up a few thousand miles on it until I got rear ended by a car on a dirt road not far from home. The bars were bent back and touching the seat and that was the end of that. As much as I loved riding that thing looking back on it now I think my best memories are from working at my grandparent’s house for the week that summer. I miss those days.

Top Bottom Back Refresh