What's new

How do you keep your Goretex waterproof.

Amos Malone

Member Number
Any tricks from the MC veterans?

I've tried few methods and think the results could be improved:
Silicone spray in a can.
Rub with wax, then heat with a hair dryer.
Dissolve clear Silicone in White Spirit and use paintbrush to apply.
Gore Tex Textile Wash.

What do you do?

I've always heard silicone and Gore-Tex are not compatible. I use the Nikwax wash and then the Nikwax spray on repellant/conditioner.

I've used Nikwax with some success. My 'stich stuff had issues with seams ... I didn't realize that till after using Nikwax, so my evaluation is flawed. I haven't been in a good storm since retaping and Nikwaxing so I can't report. But many have achieved success.

Anything we might smush in to the pores of Goretex will ruin it's breathability, so I'm not sure painting it with silicone or waxes is a great idea. If your Goretex gets dirty with embedded sweat, body oils,etc that can cause it to stop working, but it just needs a washing.

I tried the Nikwax and other expensive washes on some gear that never was intended to be waterproof. Huge waste of time and money IMO. All that circus for something that rubs off after a few rides. I had one pair of leather boots I used to wax. That was effective.

I wash my gear pretty often and haven't ever had Goretex fail me yet. I just chuck my jacket/pants in the washing machine with the armor pulled out, and toss in the helmet liners. [UWSL]I've been told I shouldn't do that, but if I can't trust my gear to survive a spin cycle then I'm damn sure not trusting it out on the highway. It's fine. [/UWSL]

My Klim Adventure suit finally wet through last summer, I was not impressed for a garment of that price. I did a bunch of research and the number 1 thing was that it has to be kept clean. I hadn't washed it once in the 6 or 7 years of using it. They say when it gets dirty and the pores fill up etc then it causes Gore-Tex to "wet out".

When you think of what the product is and how it works and how it needs to be taken care of then how do you think it works in footwear? One of the biggest marketing scams out there.

I did do the Nikwash and then the wash in Nikwax product and then topped it off with a spray on product but can't remember what. Of course I haven't been out in heavy rain since to see if it's working. I like this suit and it's comfortable plus I really don't want to spend those kinds of $$ any time soon so hear's hoping.

I do plan to do the whole routine on it again before my Trans Taiga trip.

My Klim Adventure suit finally wet through last summer, I was not impressed for a garment of that price. I did a bunch of research and the number 1 thing was that it has to be kept clean. I hadn't washed it once in the 6 or 7 years of using it. They say when it gets dirty and the pores fill up etc then it causes Gore-Tex to "wet out".

When you think of what the product is and how it works and how it needs to be taken care of then how do you think it works in footwear? One of the biggest marketing scams out there.

I did do the Nikwash and then the wash in Nikwax product and then topped it off with a spray on product but can't remember what. Of course I haven't been out in heavy rain since to see if it's working. I like this suit and it's comfortable plus I really don't want to spend those kinds of $$ any time soon so hear's hoping.

After a year, my Klim suit was not waterproof anymore. I had to start wearing Frogg Toggs. After the second year, it was so bad that the first big rain drop that hit me would soak through. I washed it regularly and retreated with a water repellent. I read many stories of Klim not standing behind their products, so I did not contact them. I eventually just contacted GoreTex, they said to send the suit to them with the receipt. They sent me back the full purchase price to my PayPal account. I would buy GoreTex again because of how they handled the issue.

If you read Gore-Tex's recommendations, after you clean and spray it, iron it on a low setting apparently the heat reactivates it. Which has worked on my my Gore-tex shelled stuff thus far.

My Darien not so much but its ancient and the seams are not in great shape....aside from some "custom ventilation' in the legs.

Back
Top Bottom