What's new

How often do you change your helmet?

I don't want to argue against people's freedom but I don't want my insurance premium or my taxes to go higher because some guys decided not to wear a helmet. Why would I become financially responsible for someone else's decision?

More people, more people on the road mean more laws. That's common sense.

It's all very fine to have freedom not to wear a helmet. Who will take care of the brain damaged people who didn't wear a helmet, who didn't die in the accident but sustained avoidable life changing injuries? Sometimes you have to, for the common good, make people be sensible.

I've been saying the same thing about taking showers. All the people that are injured by falling and hitting their heads on the faucet. We should wear helmets in the shower.
I don't think it's right that my life insurance is higher because the elderly fall in the shower. It's not right that I should pay more because others don't use protective gear.
I also feel it should be mandated by law.

I change my helmet every five years or so . As to riding without one I tried it but it felt so un natural and down right scary

Here in Florida if you want to ride without a lid you must have an insurance policy of at least $10K that will cover at least the deductible. But for vegetable care I have the feeling that the taxpayer is covering that… :bluduh

I've been saying the same thing about taking showers. All the people that are injured by falling and hitting their heads on the faucet. We should wear helmets in the shower.
I don't think it's right that my life insurance is higher because the elderly fall in the shower. It's not right that I should pay more because others don't use protective gear.
I also feel it should be mandated by law.
That's a false equivalence.

Here in Florida if you want to ride without a lid you must have an insurance policy of at least $10K that will cover at least the deductible. But for vegetable care I have the feeling that the taxpayer is covering that… :bluduh
So, law-makers think the person that won't wear a helmet will buy the additional insurance?? Hell, in Texas insurance is required when you register your vehicle (each year)... there are insurance companies there who will sell you 30-day insurance policies, so you can show the state you have insurance just to get your tags... the other 11 months, no insurance. Helmet laws... we don't need no stinkin' helmet laws.

Back on topic, I tend to wear a helmet for a few years, then start looking around. Comfort and quiet are what I look for.

Florida doesn't require insurance on MCs. Helmets are required if under 21. As for medical insurance, IDK.

I have 20 currently. I buy a new one every 4-6 months just because I see a new style/design I like. All stored in basement, cool/dry. I don't use one after it is more than 7 years old, but I tend to hold on to them for a bit longer. Though I can't use them safely after that long, I still like to look over them and remember the journey's/adventures in some of them. 3 months ago since I purchased the Sedici Sistema II. Very quit for a modular. I'm researching my next purchase now and looking at everything from skid lids to full face. I purchase medium oval for best fit.

Q: I just purchased the Vespa GTS 300 and it has rather warm underseat storage. Do you think the heat will affect integrity of the helmet significantly ?
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Sistema II Bluetooth helmet so thanks for the abbreviated review, quieter is good.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Sistema II Bluetooth helmet so thanks for the abbreviated review, quieter is good.
Be ware!!! There are no replacement face shields for Sistema II available for the past 3 years. If any dealer has them, they are hording them.
I love my Sistema II, but ........

I got me a little some-some for Christmas. I just couldn't resist. I got it on Webike. There are only 2 sizes available. Medium and Large. I am a 59. The large fits me just right. I might get a red one too.

GB0rc1hWAAAlXBW?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GB0rdIFW4AA2gHL?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GB0rdfKXUAAK7fP?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

GB0rdwIWUAALlaJ?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Two helmets are better than one…….i currently have six after recently purchasing two new HJC i90 modular helmets. If something fits in todays ever changing world, I normally buy another.

Two helmets are better than one…….i currently have six after recently purchasing two new HJC i90 modular helmets. If something fits in todays ever changing world, I normally buy another.
I know what you mean. I often buy 2 pairs of the same shoes if I find something I really like. I just store one pair away. I've done the same with some (Honda) t-shirts.

In still can't understand the connection between a few dozen guys not wearing a helmet that happened to be in crashes being responsible for insurance premiums.

Writing tickets is revenue. And easy. Fighting crime is scary. Like seat belt laws. You really think they give you a fine for not wearing a seat belt because they've been losing sleep at night worried about you? If you can make wearing a seat belt a law then you can write tickets and make money.

Years ago the windshield in my truck cracked. It wouldn't pass inspection so I just put farm use tags on it. Kept s liability policy on it, of course. State started cracking down on farm use tags ( lost revenue) so I put a new windshield in the truck to be a good boy and be able to pass inspection needed to run regular tags. On the way to get my truck inspected in got pulled over and written a ticket for not having an inspection sticker. I explained that I was on the way to get one and cop told me to take my receipt from the inspection and they'll waive the ticket. I did that. They did, in fact, waive the $25 ticket for not having an inspection sticker. But I still had to pay $100 in court costs?

I asked why I owe court costs. I'm not going to court. I'm showing you my receipt and you're throwing the ticket away.

"Paperwork fees, etc"

You're making paperwork and keeping a file for a ticket you're throwing away?

To get a receipt for paying my court costs...I had to request one. Wait...I'm being charged $100 for paperwork fees and a receipt is not part of that? I had to mail in a self addressed, pre-stamped envelope that they would return my receipt in. When I got my court costs payment receipt there was no mention of the court costs I had paid. "Thank you for your donation to the court house reconstruction project!" WTF. There's no construction going on and that's not why you forced me to give you $100.

I called the court house to discuss the situation and got hung up on. Repeatedly.

No way in hell I'm riding without a helmet. I've crashed and broken a couple and I plan on riding bikes way up in to old age. I'm gonna wear the best safety gear I can to prolong my ability to ride and just be healthy in general. But laws like this are just sources of easy revenue. There's no money in actually chasing down criminals and punishing them. That costs money. Pulling over the safe, non- threatening pleb on his way to work and shaking him down for money is an easy hustle.

Top Bottom Back Refresh