What's new

How often do you change your helmet?

I've got 2 Nolan S series. An older on (6yrs) that has had the lining replaced and a hi-viz I got a couple of years ago.
Then there's this cheap LS2 that rides in the trunk most of the summer but gets to come out on occasions. It's cooler than the Nolans and helmets are "the law of the land".

Hmmm... I generally keep them longer than I should, 6 years or so. The liner gets removed and hand washed in the kitchen sink with mild soap. When the liner material crushes down and the helmet starts to float on my head, that's usually when I think about a new one. Considering the cost of the liner replacement at this point it's money better spent towards a new helmet, IMHO. I don't buy high end helmets. My recipe is usually HJC because they fit my head shape and I can order online without having to test wear them. So far so good. Disclaimer; I have dirt, dual sport and street helmets.

Hmmm... I generally keep them longer than I should, 6 years or so. The liner gets removed and hand washed in the kitchen sink with mild soap. When the liner material crushes down and the helmet starts to float on my head, that's usually when I think about a new one. Considering the cost of the liner replacement at this point it's money better spent towards a new helmet, IMHO. I don't buy high end helmets. My recipe is usually HJC because they fit my head shape and I can order online without having to test wear them. So far so good. Disclaimer; I have dirt, dual sport and street helmets.

Same here on the not going high end... my current helmet is a Bell MX-9 Adventure, and my previous was the Scorpion AT950, both were under $300. If I was paying $600 or more, I would be a lot more interested in keeping them longer.

I run the best helmets I can find, yeah I kill a lot of brain cells so I figure I should give the best protection I can for what's left.

I try to go about every 5 years for my main lids properly stored but I do occasionally run an old one if my current one is in town or something. I do believe in what is said about materials breaking down over time.

My MX helmet is long due for replacement but I haven't been doing much of any real pure offroad riding either.

Many many days like this...:lol3
P9110038-XL.jpg

About 2-3 years and I’ll sell the lid for a reasonable price and get a new one… I get bored with them but the latest acquisition has been fantastic for me and it’s a keeper. Neotec II .

Not a chance in hell I'd ever go with a used helmet.
Some people don't mind and if the helmet is scratch free and sanitized, it shouldn't be an issue but I do see your point.. I have sold mine to people who know me to be anal about taking care of my stuff.... :deal YMMV

I’m another one who likes to hang on to my helmet - changing at 5-6 years. The innards are replaced as needed.

Back
Top Bottom