What's new

How often do you change your helmet?

cabanza

Member Number
No matter the recommendation, I try and not use a helmet that's more than 3 years old. I have been buying cheaper helmets that I change more often. Kinda what I do with my toothbrush. Lol!

How about you guys?

5 years on Average, or a hard hit.

Then again I have 5 helmets in rotation at any given time. Some are gifts from the wife, makes me easy to shop for

• LS2
  • Bell ADV
  • Bell MX
  • FX-39 DS in Yellow
  • FX-39 DS in Matte Black

About 5 - 7 years.

I've worn Shoei for decades, alternating between a 3/4 and Modular - now have a Neotec II and an HJC i30. The Shoei when it's colder or rotten weather and the HJC when it's sunny and bright. I've never replaced a liner, but I learned the hard way to keep them inside and out of the unheated/uncooled garage.

Last edited:
No set time, but i do have a good few around ikind of use quite randomly really.
I have a 1971 bell star some place with a split leather liner i was going to repair 25 years ago. I have a late 1970s bell star in near new condition , and a well used AGV Ago model from the early 80s so no shortage of old technicaly well past their use before date.
Most recent helmet aquisition was a mid 90s Lazer a mate gave me bought new in 1996 and it sat in its box in the wardrobe for decades unused, i had one back in the day as a cheap comute helmet , i liked it and mentioned it and wola my mate said he had just such a thing.
I have a few trials helmets and my newest helmet i bought two years ago is an AGV X300 , but i use any that take my fancy and i think if the helmet i use the most at the cmoment its the Old AGV Ago or the Lazer,

I seem to like a new helmet when I get a different bike. Over the last few years, I have been on a non-urgent search to find a comfortable, quiet helmet. Still wearing the last two: a Nolan N70-2gt and a Schuberth C3 Pro. In any case, usually 3 to 4 years at most on a helmet.

I go about 5 years and i replace the comfort liner about halfway thru the life of the helmet to get the fit back to normal. I tend to buy top of the line like Shoei, Schuberth or Arai and i have never regretted the purchase. I replace them because the manufacturers recommend it, they know the helmets a lot better than i do and when it comes to safety i am not one to pinch pennies.

Last edited:
I seem to like a new helmet when I get a different bike. Over the last few years, I have been on a non-urgent search to find a comfortable, quiet helmet. Still wearing the last two: a Nolan N70-2gt and a Schuberth C3 Pro. In any case, usually 3 to 4 years at most on a helmet.
Find a cycle gear and try on a Shoei Neotech 2 if you are looking for a modular. Its a fantastic helmet, supremely comfortable and very quiet. I ran a Schuberth C3 before i got my Neotech 2 and the Neotech is quieter, has better cooling and oto me feels much better balanced on my head. I liked my Schuberth when i had it but i feel like the Shoei is just a little bit better.

About 4 years as I ride a lot and it is hot and humid down here, so things tend to break down faster. Currently I have a Neotec II

I don't have a time limit for helmet replacement. Currently my oldest helmet is 7 years old. I rotate between 3 helmets and they are all stored indoors out of the heat and humidity. If I just had just one helmet at a time I would replace it more often but I have owned more than one helmet at a time for the last 25+ years.

I have 20 currently. I buy a new one every 4-6 months just because I see a new style/design I like. All stored in basement, cool/dry. I don't use one after it is more than 7 years old, but I tend to hold on to them for a bit longer. Though I can't use them safely after that long, I still like to look over them and remember the journey's/adventures in some of them. 3 months ago since I purchased the Sedici Sistema II. Very quit for a modular. I'm researching my next purchase now and looking at everything from skid lids to full face. I purchase medium oval for best fit.

Q: I just purchased the Vespa GTS 300 and it has rather warm underseat storage. Do you think the heat will affect integrity of the helmet significantly ?

My next helmet will have replaceable cheek pads, for sure, or maybe even a replaceable liner. I want it to stay snug, so I'd like to swap one in/out after a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom