What's new

Husaberg - anyone..?

John Macdonald

We can't stop here, this is bat country!
Member Number
I recently adopted a 550, just kinda happened

Bike is an animal, hopefully I’ll manage to keep it healthy

Anyone here doing Husaberg things?

4134.jpeg

I have a street titled 98 fe400. Husaberg owned the world enduro in the 90s. What a great story of a bunch of people making bikes in a shed, only to be consumed by KTM.

Husaberg was where KTM got it's 4stroke smarts. The berg engineers designed the LC4 and the RFS motors for KTM. Every 4T KTM has its roots tied to Husaberg. THey also had some things Husaberg lacked, a better recognized name (then Husaberg), good marketing and advanced production facilities husaberg couldn't match. Without KTM Husaberg would be another Beta or GasGas, a niche brand if it was still around.

Husaberg was where KTM got it's 4stroke smarts. The berg engineers designed the LC4 and the RFS motors for KTM. Every 4T KTM has its roots tied to Husaberg. THey also had some things Husaberg lacked, a better recognized name (then Husaberg), good marketing and advanced production facilities husaberg couldn't match. Without KTM Husaberg would be another Beta or GasGas, a niche brand if it was still around.
KTM gets a lot of hate for "consuming" other brands. I think there's another way of looking at it. These brands would've slipped away in to obscurity. KTM could just be KTM and dominate, but they spend money they don't need to spend to keep the names they grew up with alive. A nod of respect perhaps.

I've got no problem with what occurred regarding KTM, it's business and no different then Fiat owning Chrysler and the other insidious vehicle manufacturer relationships.
Regarding the Husa/Husky era I remember when someone loaned me a '83 510 Husky 4 stroke for a weekend, probably had 20hrs on it. This was long before estart, back then the 4T huskys were 2T bottom ends they added a cam chain tunnel to, long before big thumpers got thumper friendly carbs also. Full on Ohlins suspension, at the time I owned a Yamaha TT500, the Husky was one of the hardest starting beasts I ever had occasion to cuss at but once it fired up it was a very sweet MC and light years ahead of the Yamaha. Much as I hated trying to get it started I regretted giving it back. The motor looked very similar to the big Berg 550s that came out a decade later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh