What's new

I need a new GPS

Whats the win of openmapchest.org maps vs the Garmin supplied ones? ie are there more streets, gravel roads and so on...

I have some older units without the lifetime option. Not worth spending for an update.

copy that. Not interested in giving Garmin $ but I don't mind the open guy :)
He's called Ben Konrath, knows his stuff. Try them for free (I did) then donate if you like what you got. Being paid up opens a few more doors but the maps are 100% usable without.

He's called Ben Konrath, knows his stuff. Try them for free (I did) then donate if you like what you got. Being paid up opens a few more doors but the maps are 100% usable without.
routable? I have not found free routable maps, but I have not honestly searched real hard. The $$Garmin$$ maps are routable so I can build a track at home.

Can the maps be combined ie would like to have both the US Northeast and South maps on the 600 if possible.

I looked at the XT. My buddy and garage mate has one.

I was hopeful. BUT, after looking at it, it looks like they took everything which sucked about the new Zumo user interface, and ADDED more shit to it. :devildog

It really doesn't matter if your screen is big, if 50% of it is buttons and crap.
Your buddies have set it up wrong it half the screen is plastered with other stuff... It took a bit of playing around but I have a full view of the map on mine..

After using the XT for a year, it's finally starting to grow on me. My buddy bought the 700i and boy what a mess it is in my opinion. His too. So for his new Sherco he bought a Trail Tech voyager pro. Let's see how that works out for him.

Who's got routeable maps for free? Ben somebody, how or where can I check these out for my xt? I'm about ready to give garmin another $100 for their 24k topo of the northwest USA

Gave him a few $ and downloaded the US Northeast and South. Northeast loaded and stuff is there in the Montana which is good. OTOH South not recognized by basecamp no matter which install method I used. Doesn't matter much though, the default garmin maps for Maryland are fine all the roads I'm going to be visiting this year are north of here :)

Reach out to him, he had a code compilation issue with one of the downloads I had & after I alerted him to it he fixed it within 24 hours & emailed me a new version. Sounds like a similar problem I had too.

routable? I have not found free routable maps, but I have not honestly searched real hard. The $$Garmin$$ maps are routable so I can build a track at home.

Who's got routeable maps for free? Ben somebody, how or where can I check these out for my xt? I'm about ready to give garmin another $100 for their 24k topo of the northwest USA

Did Garmin break OSM on everything?
I’ve been routing on OSM for years.

The only limit I’ve encountered, is the men limits in my 680 prevent loading a complete USA map set. I have to chunk it in 3.

So, I can’t route from NY to CA. My routes must be all on the active map or garmin won’t route.

There’s free us topo and OSM. I didn’t need any maps from Garmin. Both my fee topo and OSM will route.

What doesn’t work well is address search. I’ve only seen that work well on Garmin maps.

Drop a waypoint and tell it to route. Been working fine for me.

I tried using my iphone then moved on to a Duraforce XD 5.7 inch screen. I still wasn't happy with either one and decided to try a Zumo XT.

I love it! It's been great having a big bright and clear screen!

Back
Top Bottom