What's new

I need a new GPS

Dave.0

recidivist daydreamer
Member Number
I'm looking for some advice on getting a new GPS. I have an old Garmin Nuvi that the touchscreen stopped working. I used this for the street and it worked fine enough. I had a GPSmaps76 that I used off road. It was a bit cumbersome and could only handle tracks of 500 points but was serviceable. I would like to get a new one to replace both. I really liked the touch screen that worked with gloves. My main goal would be to have something that I would be able to download tracks easily and store them - something like being able to download the colorado and utah BDRs without changing out memory cards if possible. I really don't need something to take pictures or stuff like that but if its included on better devices that's fine. I would use this on my road and dual sport bikes and possibly in my van at times. I know a lot of people use phones with good results but I sort of want to stick to a GPS unit, maybe just because of past familiarity. Looking around the options seem to be a Garmin zumo XT or a montana or alternatively possibly a trail tech unit, but that seems more like a dedicated dirt bike deal that I couldn't switch between bikes. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Put me in the same boat as Dave.0. My Zumo died a decade ago and I never did anything about it (mostly because my bikes were buried in the garage not being ridden). But I'd like a "do it all" solution that, ideally, could be mounted on multiple motorcycles.

Garmin Montana is still the one to have off-road & a perfectly useable on road GPS too. Mounting system is cheap & easy enough to buy one for each bike. GPSCity typically has good deals on them including refurbs.

I'd get the Garmin XT and not look back
Even for off-road use?

ou're about to be bombarded by the phone squad
Yep, and some of the software is really good (I subscribe to Rever myself). For casual on-road use they're OK but for off-road, by the time you put the phone in a ruggedized case they start overheating fast and in direct sunlight the screens are just too dim.

Kurviger to plot.
Upload to OSMand.

Tens of thousands of miles all over New England and Canada.

And that's all I'll say unless asked for more.

Even for off-road use?

Yep, and some of the software is really good (I subscribe to Rever myself). For casual on-road use they're OK but for off-road, by the time you put the phone in a ruggedized case they start overheating fast and in direct sunlight the screens are just too dim.
Yes, even for my type off-road. I don't crash and burn like I use to. :D

I'd get the Montana for dedicated off-road, possible hike out for help, situations.

Thanks for all the replies.

For my uses I think I will go for the Montana 700i. I don't need the camera of the 750i, but the in reach option would be nice. I'm sure either the XT or the Montana would work for me but if I had to bias what I need it for it would be more off road use and managing tracks. My eyes haven't totally given up yet so I think I'll be OK with the screen on the montana.

The phone thing seems like an entirely other world which works great for some folks (judging by the other thread) but for me the learning curve to jump to that set up seems steep. When I retire in a few years and need something to mess around with I'll try the phone thing once I give up trying to learn spanish.

You'll not regret the Montana - I've 6 years on mine & been very happy. Even replaced a BMW Nav with it in Portugal!

IMG_20190714_165451.jpg

Garmin XT's are wonderful new machines. Best screen of any GPS I have ever seen.

I looked at the XT. My buddy and garage mate has one.

I was hopeful. BUT, after looking at it, it looks like they took everything which sucked about the new Zumo user interface, and ADDED more shit to it. :devildog

It really doesn't matter if your screen is big, if 50% of it is buttons and crap.

You'll not regret the Montana - I've 6 years on mine & been very happy. Even replaced a BMW Nav with it in Portugal!

+1 for the Montana.. i sprung for the fancy charging cradle powered by the bike so no runtime issues, with a backup tether to the bike in case the latch gives way.. i dont like to use the locking screw, makes it easier to take the unit off at night.

I dont bother with waypoints on it, just todays destination for approximate stats. They say the basecamp software is terrible and I dont doubt it, the last time i connected the unit to my laptop was to do a flash update.

Only downside is if you let the battery go dead you lose settings which is annoying. OTOH i love the simplicity and lack of integration.

If I were buying a new GPS today, I would get a Garmin 700 series Montana without the built-in In-Reach. And add the new In-Reach mini to strap to myself.

Right now I am using a Garmin 680T and an In-Reach Explorer+.

FWIW, I had one of the first-gen Montanas that I put through hell. It held up to days of downpours, brutally hot deserts, snow, ice, etc... What finally killed it was looping my bike, all of the bike's weight fell right on the GPS physically crushing it.

Back
Top Bottom