What's new

Indian Demo rides

klaviator

Scooter Trash
Member Number
The Indian Demo truck was at a local dealer so I went and rode a bunch of them. The demo loop wasn't very long and only had a few curves so there was only so much I could get from the demo rides but they were still interesting.

First up, FTR.

IMG_20231110_122907211_HDR.jpg

This was the bike I came to ride. The engine made serious power. Twist the throttle and get launched forward RIGHT NOW! The brakes and handling seemed fine but hard to really check them on the route we rode. The seating position was not comfortable for around town and low speed riding. The bars were too low for me. At 70 or 80 MPH it would be much more comfortable. This bike wouldn't work that well for most of the type of riding I normally do. All that power and torque would be a liability on the tight and twisty roads I prefer. It was a fun ride but I wouldn't buy one.

Next up was this bike.

PB100003.JPG

I hadn't planned on riding any of the ginormous half ton big twins but someone talked me into it. Taking off this thing didn't want to go straight at low speed. Did I really want to ride this thing?

Once underway at more than a few MPH the handling settled down. Lots of power. Decent handling for such a big bike. Reasonably comfortable. It was OK but I had no desire to own one.

Since i survived that ride I decided on another monster bike.

PB100006.JPG

This was the Pursuit. I like the styling of this bike as it reminds me of the racing baggers. This bike handled better than the last one and was more comfortable. It had some serious power. It was a fun ride.

Next was the Challenger.

PB100009.JPG

PB100010.JPG

This bike was my favorite of the day. Awesome power. Brembo brakes. It handled well. Being nearly 80 pounds lighter than the last two bikes probably helped.

I like the dash.

PB100011.JPG

Like the last 2 bikes, the windshield was adjustable. I had it in the low position.

PB100014.JPG

Next I rode the Roadmaster.

PB100016.JPG

PB100015.JPG

After riding the Challenger this bike just didn't excite me. I had no real complaints but it was a big heavy cruiser. It had a lot of torque but not the top end of the Pursuit or Challenger.

Attachments

• PB100016.JPG
    PB100016.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I rode a few scouts a few years ago. I thought I'd try one again.

PB100018.JPG

The power which really impressed me last time I rode one didn't impress me as much this time. It's a nice basic cruiser but not something I have any interest in.

I finished up by riding the Challenger again. If I won the lottery this is the Indian that I would consider buying. As it is, 30 grand is a bit out of my price range. Also, none of these Indians fit the type of riding I normally do.
Where the challenger would shine would be on the highway or wide open roads like the Cherohala Skyway or the Blue Ridge Parkway. It would be great for two up riding but I don't do that anymore.

$30k?!

I'm really going to have to take care of my bike, because new bikes are becoming completely unaffordable. Those FTR's sure do look good though!

$30k?!

I'm really going to have to take care of my bike, because new bikes are becoming completely unaffordable. Those FTR's sure do look good though!
And that's just the MSRP. Don't forget freight, dealer fees and taxes! Keep in mind that not all new bikes are that expensive. Last month I rode a bike that I would take over any of the Indians I rode. The dealer had a couple of those on the showroom floor.

PB100001.JPG

When my '16 FZ09 was new you could get one OTD for $7500 or less. They're $12k+ MSRP now. Basically just saddled with tons of electronics which are proving to be troublesome. Things are crazy

Next up was this bike.

PB100003.JPG

I hadn't planned on riding any of the ginormous half ton big twins but someone talked me into it. Taking off this thing didn't want to go straight at low speed. Did I really want to ride this thing?

Once underway at more than a few MPH the handling settled down. Lots of power. Decent handling for such a big bike. Reasonably comfortable. It was OK but I had no desire to own one.
I absolutely enjoyed riding one of those at a demo event in September. For the type of riding I typically do, the Chieftain Dark Horse is my jam. It's not the type of bike I'd ride all year-round due to winter weather stuff like road salt.

Klaviator..you ever get a chance to ride a twin beam firebolt or thunderbolt? With the 52" wheelbase!!!! These bikes were vtwin awesome. 80mph in second gear with 7k rpm of long stroke pushrod madness! Early Evo sporties would Rev out with no limiter too.

Last edited:
Klaviator..you ever get a chance to ride a twin beam firebolt or thunderbolt? With the 52" wheelbase!!!! These bikes were vtwin awesome. 80mph in second gear with 7k rpm of long stroke pushrod madness! Early Evo sporties would Rev out with no limiter too.
I did have the chance to ride a bunch of Buells. Buell had Demo rides at Two Wheels Only back in the day. They also brought some V rods. I thought the Buells were interesting but not something I would buy. The V rods had a great motor but funky ergonomics and handling.

These demo rides were great because the route was 6 miles of fantastic curvy road and then turn around and go back.

Thanks klaviator! Nice pics of those touring rigs. I like the looks but not so crazy about a 31 degree lean angle.
That 31 degrees is supposed to be better than their other touring models but it isn't very impressive. That might be when the floorboards start to scrape. You might get a few more degrees as the floorboards fold up?

I did have the chance to ride a bunch of Buells. Buell had Demo rides at Two Wheels Only back in the day. They also brought some V rods. I thought the Buells were interesting but not something I would buy. The V rods had a great motor but funky ergonomics and handling.

These demo rides were great because the route was 6 miles of fantastic curvy road and then turn around and go back.
I pulled a few vrods out of the box for pdi. The vrod was the worst handling bike Harley ever made. The bike would stand up and go wide with throttle in a turn. That is a very bad quality in a bike!

Top Bottom Back Refresh