What's new

InReach Mini

Thirsty 1

Member Number
I’ve had my InReach Mini going on 3 years now and I gotta say it’s a fantastic little device! It always connects, works!,and is small enough not to be a burden to carry. The mapping and tracking functions are great and the on/off subscription is the bee’s knee’s. I don’t use the map feature much as I use Guru Pro for navigation so it’s primarily used for 2 way texting with the Mrs. and it’s nice that I can use my contact list in my phone if necessary.

5 stars as far as I’m concerned!

I have the much older Delorme InReach SE that still works flawlessly. It functions the same as the newer Garmin InReach units, uses the same plans and uses the same Earthmate app on your phone.

I keep the $34.95/mo plan active all year. That way the device is ready to roll on a moments notice, either on the bike or in the vehicle. The text feature works well, especially when out of cell phone communication.

10/10 would recommend.

Last edited:
How much per month does the service cost ya?
I use the Recreation Plan and it's 34.99 per month. It's on for 30 days from the day of purchase.

Copy and pasted

Recreation Plan Details

• Unlimited SOS
  • 40 text messages/month
  • Unlimited Preset messages (predefined messages set up on the website)
  • Unlimited tracking at 10-minute or longer intervals
  • $0.50 USD overage charge for each text message that exceeds the monthly plan allowance of 40 text messages.
  • Text messages include free-form sent messages and received messages.

Freedom Plan Commitment

One month commitment on any plan upgrade before a downgrade can occur. Current monthly plan selection will automatically renew for the next month unless you schedule a change before the plan renewal date. No fees to upgrade or downgrade plans. Suspended devices are charged $0/month. A $34.95 USD annual fee is charged on the anniversary of initial activation into Freedom plans.

I generally use the preset messages like, "I'm stopping here" or "I'm starting here". I can also handle 50 cents a texted after that. The price for my girl knowing I'm ok when I'm in the sticks is priceless.

----------------------------------------

The cheaper plan at 14.95 would work to but I like to pay for shit I dont use!! LOL!!

Safety Plan Details

• Unlimited SOS
  • 10 text messages/month
  • Unlimited Preset messages (predefined messages set up on the website)
  • Tracking points: $0.10 USD for each point
  • Overages are $0.50 USD for each text message over the 10 messages allowed in the monthly plan period.
  • Text messages include free-form sent messages and received messages.
  • Tracking points refer to the individual "breadcrumbs" sent by the inReach at user-selected intervals ranging from 10 minutes to 4 hours.

Freedom Plan Commitment

One month commitment on any plan upgrade before a downgrade can occur. Current monthly plan selection will automatically renew for the next month unless the customer schedules a change before the plan renewal date. No fees to upgrade or downgrade plans. Suspended devices are charged $0/month. A $34.95 USD annual fee is charged on the anniversary of initial activation into Freedom plans.

I've go the mini as well and have generally been happy with it. It replaced a Spot 3. Currently on the cheaper "safety plan." The one thing I miss compared to the Spot is the ability to see tracking points on a map. As I understand it, I'd have to upgrade my plan to "recreation" to get that, at double the monthly cost. Not worth it to me.

Originally, I thought I'd be able to download the tracking points after a ride somehow, but don't seem to be able to do that.

Am I missing something?

I've go the mini as well and have generally been happy with it. It replaced a Spot 3. Currently on the cheaper "safety plan." The one thing I miss compared to the Spot is the ability to see tracking points on a map. As I understand it, I'd have to upgrade my plan to "recreation" to get that, at double the monthly cost. Not worth it to me.

Originally, I thought I'd be able to download the tracking points after a ride somehow, but don't seem to be able to do that.

Am I missing something?

From the sounds of it you probably can, but at a cost that doesn't make sense. It's a dime for every point. If you turn tracking on with the IR, then based on the tracking settings it would probably start hitting you for dimes frequently.

This is the Garmin biz model for IR. Safety, is the given. Tracking and messaging are the "upsells".
FWIW,
Garmin will let you month-2-month make changes to the plan. So if you have a big trip or something going on, you can just up the plan for a month and have the tracking.
The earthmate app should let you view your tracking points.

For me/our group the tracking matters. The wife's all get the mapshare link and can feel like they are still "spying" on the men. When we all go to TN or H&M all the ladies can just pull up where we are on the phone at any time. This has cut the man time drama to a minimum, fewer calls to wife's, fewer push backs when we go. It's been the real benefit of the device.

But there are issues....
My MIL proved to be far more digital savvy than I expected and started pulling "data" from the track points for my H2 rides...

From the sounds of it you probably can, but at a cost that doesn't make sense. It's a dime for every point. If you turn tracking on with the IR, then based on the tracking settings it would probably start hitting you for dimes frequently.

This is the Garmin biz model for IR. Safety, is the given. Tracking and messaging are the "upsells".
FWIW,
Garmin will let you month-2-month make changes to the plan. So if you have a big trip or something going on, you can just up the plan for a month and have the tracking.
The earthmate app should let you view your tracking points.

For me/our group the tracking matters. The wife's all get the mapshare link and can feel like they are still "spying" on the men. When we all go to TN or H&M all the ladies can just pull up where we are on the phone at any time. This has cut the man time drama to a minimum, fewer calls to wife's, fewer push backs when we go. It's been the real benefit of the device.

But there are issues....
My MIL proved to be far more digital savvy than I expected and started pulling "data" from the track points for my H2 rides...

Thanks, that kinda confirms what I thought. If I understand you correctly, the earth mate app will allow viewing of the tracking points, BUT ONLY if you go for the more expensive plan (or the dime every time approach), correct?

I'm not sure that's worth it to me; push back isn't a problem. ;)

Thanks, that kinda confirms what I thought. If I understand you correctly, the earth mate app will allow viewing of the tracking points, BUT ONLY if you go for the more expensive plan (or the dime every time approach), correct?

I'm not sure that's worth it to me; push back isn't a problem. ;)
Yeah, I think your only getting the comms and not the tracking breadcrumbs at the base level. Do you have the earth mate app? If so go to the map screen and in the upper right are the layers portion. You'll need to download the maps for your particular region.

It should look like this when it works
7F9AA518-D374-4355-9A36-E47DB8D9552F.png 2825EE97-C044-44F3-8001-698C5F18A7EF.png

Last edited:
Another satisfied inreach mini owner here. The unit has been solid and it's been a year since i started using it. Once I had to use it for a legit reason since i frequently ride alone.

Writing descriptive texts has a bit of a learning curve but otherwise the device does what's advertised.

The portability and phone connectivity make it easy to put almost anywhere.

With the less frequent tracking, the results are like these pics.
It still provides the track point data. Just hits points every 10min instead of 2min.

I really DGAF, about the tracking beyond the piece of mind and the ability to share. Will always depend on my Montana to record everything.
Compared to the data I get from the MT, IR stuff is, meh.

The tracking has been good for meeting folks long distance. I turn on the IR when I leave, send the mapshare link and they know almost exactly when I will show up.

Mom gets into following along and looking up the points on GE. Then sending banjo and deliverance memes...

[UWSL]Me, I’m just happy she’s a part of it and I can share in a way she engages with. [/UWSL]

Sometimes, we find value unexpectedly.

0F45AFD3-2D8F-499B-B942-1215CC2AD45C.png B7453793-06E1-42CA-87F0-6345029121B0.png

The tracking actually works pretty well, but not certainly as detailed as pressing "record" on a dedicated GPS unit. This was a little back and forth trying to pick a good camp site on the CDT as seen on the MapShare site along with a message that was sent.

1646063444135.png

Hmm I'm solo more than not and should probably get something like this. But isn't the fear factor part of the adventure?

A slightly new development...the past couple of times I've used this, the text messages no longer have a clickable link for a location. The email messages do.

Anybody notice this?

Using the inReach mini, it drops they yellow dots, at 10 min intervals IIRC, if I rememeber to turn it on.

Then I drop a waypoint for sites to mark them

Silverton Area

1649011929764.png

Back
Top Bottom