What's new

IOM TT 2022.

Thanks for updating us. Condolences to the Lavorel family, best of luck to Chanel.

the 1st Supersport today won by Michel dunlop on a yamaha new lap record 129.47 MPh.
1654545148190.png

Peter hickman Won the superstock tonight with Connor cumins Getting second slot from davey todd third. Cumins did a blistering 133.1 MPH.

More sad news RIP Davy Morgan.
Three deaths so far this year. Too often this race that doesn't sit on the edge well

More sad news.

This is the first time I've followed the TT (thanks to the streaming coverage). I'm sitting here in the US watching the TT when I can - I don't get a sense of how much time/effort is spent to acknowledge these riders and their deaths. I hope the whole event takes a moment to pause and reflect.

When you think about it, watching the bikes skip across the bumps, sometimes being aloft just before a challenging turn, deaths seem inevitable. These risks must be so much more apparent when spectating in person.

Anywhere hear how Boothy is doing? I know he rode the TT before joining 44 Teeth - I wonder if 'journos' like him (the guy at Cycle World is the other one I've seen) feel pressure to prove their grit as 'real riders' due to being in the public eye?

It's conflicting being a fan of Road Racing (as it's known at the TT and Ireland). McGuinness has said many times that it's not like someone's holding a gun to your head to force you to ride this or the others but on the other hand, as fans are we comfortable condoning something this deadly?

I don't get a sense of how much time/effort is spent to acknowledge these riders and their deaths. I hope the whole event takes a moment to pause and reflect.
It can get a little macabre I'm afraid. Almost as if fans are welcoming the opportunity to grieve. It's hard to put a finger on it exactly but it's a similar ethos to the one surrounding Lady Di's death. Methinks the lady doth protest too much perhaps?

The TT and all who chose to compete in it or any of the other road races know the risks from the get go, yet they still race because its what they want to do , what they are and what they aspire to be.
I am no TT rider and despite years of motorcycling i simply know full well i dont have the capability to race at the Tt. But i race in sprints and hillclimbs, which are ok less dangerous, but people have been killed. I dont imagine any of the riders dwell on the fact they might die that day, any more than i think i am going to die in any sprints etc.
They are thete because they want to be, and if stopped from competing by nanny state rules, i can guess would be very much against any such preventative nanny protection.
Sad they die, of course it is, but they wanted to be there regardless of the known risks involved.

It's conflicting being a fan of Road Racing (as it's known at the TT and Ireland). McGuinness has said many times that it's not like someone's holding a gun to your head to force you to ride this or the others but on the other hand, as fans are we comfortable condoning something this deadly?
I am OK with it. People do a lot dumber things for less, and these are professionals who know the risks.

Awesome ride in the winds from michael dunlop 1st with a a 128.5 , he was flying on that Yamaha.
The senior next, ill be honest im glued to the trucks radio.

The Sidcar race was red flaged at or near Agos and roads were shut, lattest news is four were admited to Nobel hospital but no further details. Weather worsened and racing was abandoned for the day. The senior will probably be run tomorrow, and at moment the morning looks best weather. Its only happened once before a senior on a saturday.
Heres hopeing it goes ahead ok. Apparently the side car crash the other night, it was anounced the passenger had died but it seems it was a mistake and in fact the driver died. Sad news all round i am affraid.

Sorry to hear of the tragic deaths today of Father and son sidecar outfit team Roger and bradley Stockton.
Roger " driver" 56 today and bradley "Passenger"21 Were a first time pairing in the TT this year, and Although it was Rogers 11th TT it was Bradleys first as a competitor .
It was the pairings second race, having put in an impressive 106. mph lap that got them 8th place in the first side car race.
Bradley had been visiting the Tt since he was 1 year old, and at 16 decided to follow his father into sidecars.
Tragic loss.

I Decided to put this out there for the ADV bikes think tank for others opinions and thoughts for purely accademic reasons.
The supersport Class at the TT etc.
The 600cc fours and YET Garry johnson Peter hickman and others are running the Triumph 765 triple.
As much as i like the Triumph its sound etc its not a 600 in fact its 765 its in stock form in any case a bit lighter and its got more torque than the yamaha r6 or the kawasaki and its only 2hp down.
My thoughts are despite the lack of four cylinders the 765 is if anything a bar room spec winer over the 600 fours, and that over 750cc ccs is going to help with power throughout the rev range i would have thought.
What are others thoughts on this,

I Decided to put this out there for the ADV bikes think tank for others opinions and thoughts for purely accademic reasons.
The supersport Class at the TT etc.
The 600cc fours and YET Garry johnson Peter hickman and others are running the Triumph 765 triple.
As much as i like the Triumph its sound etc its not a 600 in fact its 765 its in stock form in any case a bit lighter and its got more torque than the yamaha r6 or the kawasaki and its only 2hp down.
My thoughts are despite the lack of four cylinders the 765 is if anything a bar room spec winer over the 600 fours, and that over 750cc ccs is going to help with power throughout the rev range i would have thought.
What are others thoughts on this,
Over all I completely agree. While I dont have any practical experience with the larger 765 daytona yet my 675 street triple in practice was always slower once the revs got up versus a proper sport bike (it definitly felt like from the lack of fairings predominantly), but it was significantly more forgiving if you were in the wrong gear mid corner or ran wide and had to power out of a corner versus carrying speed
I can show you the size/packaging differences in the morning as well its eye opening seeing the two styles side by side out of their bikes

The Supersport class as based on the 600 platform needs expansion to include othe configurations, same with allowing motors other than 600/4s in sidecar. MV F3, 890s, the Ducati 955 Vtwin, they are all about the same horsepower.
Has the Kawasaki 636 been previously allowed? Performance of the 600/4 has been developed about as far as it can go, ask a sidecar guy

Regarding the risks of the TT.
As previously mentioned every rider there knows the risks and I am grateful I get to watch and enjoy the competition and I am grateful the TT continues. Surveys show 100% of us are going to die.
9a8fef5cad9d52d0f28a7ab048455014.jpg
Just don't leave your clippings in the road. That is dangerous for us real riders! :rofl

Top Bottom Back Refresh