What's new

Is it just me?

TravelinLite

ADV+
Member Number
Does it bother anyone else that an aftermarket supplier will provide SAE sized fasteners for a metric bike? Or, will provide Allen screws when the intended application primarily uses Torx fasteners?

This has always pissed me off but others don't seem to be bothered by it. My now deceased father-in-law once told me he had to use three different tool standards to work on one airplane. I am not sure I would want to fly on that airplane.

Oh well, just venting.

Better not live in your house either- many different fastener types used there too. And no cars also I suppose.

To work on a ford you only need every tool in your box. Just as annoying when 5 different size fasteners hold on a bumper skin. Push pins is another example of stupidity.

I dont mind the pushpin so much as the ones which need prying and messing around to release.. or have to be ripped out and only last a couple cycles before needing replaced.

Different sizes and different releases mixed with plastic rot. And debrise makes the release rough.

It is frustrating as hell!

Additionally, I am really bothered when fasteners with the same thread and pitch have a different sized hex head. On Japanese bikes, it is always a 12mm hex and 13mm hex for the same size fastener.

Sometimes different size screws use the same head to simpify assembly lines, IIRC its been done with inch size bolts also.

I think my Harley is all SAE. Every nut and bolt. That was kind of weird to see. So used to metric and SAE on most of the stuff I work on.

Yep its annoying. But in their defence i am old and a grumpy old twat so that might have some bearing on all this too. :lol2

It is frustrating as hell!

Additionally, I am really bothered when fasteners with the same thread and pitch have a different sized hex head. On Japanese bikes, it is always a 12mm hex and 13mm hex for the same size fastener.
I was gonna mention that. 12mm on M8 fasteners unless you get em from the hardware store, then they're 13mm.

They're using extra material to do bad job of it 😁

Agreed - totally annoying to have allen/torx/hex......

The first thing I do an any dirt/adv bike I buy is to change the bolts to one type (usually torx)
so that I only have to carry a small tool kit.

I used to particupate in long distance off-road endurance races, so maintenance on the side
of the road/trail was par for the course - having only 1 type of fastener made it a lot
easier, instead of searching for tools in the dead of night.

One thing I really like with my old husquevarna was the 10mm(I think, its been a while) hex head bolts had a torx imprint as well. was really nice when one was a little stuck, you could get two tools on it at once and snap the bolt clean off with half the effort!

Top Bottom Back Refresh