What's new

Is Mexico Safe?

Long shot here...anyone familiar with KTM shops around Mexico City and have a recommendation for service?

Can’t help with shop info, but what bike and what needs to be done?
Other then a deep dive into an engine, there isn’t much that can’t be done in a motel parking lot.
Yeah, need to get the valves inspected and maybe adjusted. Having weird fluctuations/stalling at idle, so it might be a sensor issue also. Ruled out fuel and air, so I'm at the end of my experience.

I can’t really tell the age of your KTM from your pictures, but if it is newish as it appears, you will need a real KTM twin dealer that has the official KTM tablet to diagnose a sensor.
On the older bikes, there was a downloadable program called “Tunecu” that with the right cable allowed any shop with a pc to diagnose, check for codes and even remap the ecu.
If you were able to “ Rule out fuel and air problems“ you have the skills needed to check the valve clearance.

I can’t really tell the age of your KTM from your pictures, but if it is newish as it appears, you will need a real KTM twin dealer that has the official KTM tablet to diagnose a sensor.
On the older bikes, there was a downloadable program called “Tunecu” that with the right cable allowed any shop with a pc to diagnose, check for codes and even remap the ecu.
If you were able to “ Rule out fuel and air problems“ you have the skills needed to check the valve clearance.
It's a little bit beyond me at the moment. Don't really want the first time popping the engine open to be street-side, plus I don't have tools, supplies, etc. It's essentially my home, so avoiding downtime is paramount. And yeah, it needs to go in to have some stuff down via their diagnostics tool anyway. 2020 with just shy of 30k miles on it! It's seen some stuff.

Stordog ,

Sounds like we have the same idea towards the same goal.

I got a DAN policy for myself and Dad when we rafted the Grand Canyon, it was recommended by others who purchased policies and a few that had to use them.

Eager to compare cost vs potential benefit, especially in a trip planning thread. Who do you use for your travels?

Cheers, Chris

I had DAN INS for decades, as a PADI Divemaster it pays for itself.
I'd had to see doctors in Australia, Mexico and Honduras and DAN always paid out, no problems.

DAN.org

it covers all domestic diving, and all medical for international

Travel Insurance

1646102649406.png

DAN overview

Good stuff to know, I will have to compare that to Roam Right before I head to Baja in a few weeks.
Off topic somewhat, but I gave up scuba diving about 9 yeasr ago after I punctured a lung in a moto accident. I had a trip booked to dive in Baleze, I ended up snorkeling the Blue hole, which is a long boat ride for not much snorkeling.

Found some slick asphalt outside of Mazatlán! Was coasting up to a red light and the next thing I know I'm sliding on my hands and ass watching my bike spark away in front of me. The bike slide 10-15 feet and I personally got 5-10.

I guess the bright side of slick asphalt is that it's slick! My pants and gloves were completely unphased and my soft bags picked up more road grime than scuffs. The crash bar did it's job!

PXL_20220307_011912290.jpg

Found some slick asphalt outside of Mazatlán! Was coasting up to a red light and the next thing I know I'm sliding on my hands and ass watching my bike spark away in front of me. The bike slide 10-15 feet and I personally got 5-10.

I guess the bright side of slick asphalt is that it's slick! My pants and gloves were completely unphased and my soft bags picked up more road grime than scuffs. The crash bar did it's job!

PXL_20220307_011912290.jpg
Mexico has a lot of spilled diesel in places, especially bad are the Pemex stations. I pulled into one a little fast and hit the brakes and the front just washed out and I slid to a stop at the curb by the pump! Jumped up quickly at said lleno con magna por favor!!! They all had a good laugh.

After years of riding and tens of thousands of miles in Mexico, I had my first bad experience with the police.
The shortest version of the story…
Three of us crossed at Tijuana with me driving a truck hauling three dirt bikes.
When we missed the right turn for the couta, the local cops pulled us over.
They gave us a quick pat down, asking about guns and knives, where were we going etc.
They did a quick search of the truck and sent us on our way.
Only after we were back on the couta and comparing notes did we figure out that my one buddy was short about 2,000 pesos. We had stopped at a money exchange just before the border and he had a wad of cash in his front pocket. The cop was able to slip 4 notes off without being noticed.

Reactions: EGR
Top Bottom Back Refresh