What's new

Is Mexico Safe?

Knives are not legal to carry In Mexico. But it’s just one of those things that would only come up if someone in a position of authority were looking for leverage over say three gringos driving a nice truck.

I worked 2-3 months per year for over 20 years in Maquiladoras in Matamoros and Reynosa and it wasn't until 5 or 6 years ago that I learned about the knife rules. A Mexican technician gave me the lowdown and after that I'd leave my knife at home. I didn't really need to worry about it in Reynosa since there are no police there, but a federale could make an issue of it. What's funny is that shops in any of the tourist areas will have showcases full of knives. It's one of those rules that only gets enforced by a greedy cop looking for a payoff.

I've carried a knife in MX since 1999. on land, and on the boats.
As a PADI Divemaster we use knives to cut lines, clean fish, detach chem lights, et. al.

Who knew I was a rebel all these years. good to know !

When I took my dive classes back in the day, my instructor told us that if we bought a dive knife, to buy one with a blunt end on the blade. They were better for getting the peanut butter out of a jar, which was probably all we would ever use them for.

When I took my dive classes back in the day, my instructor told us that if we bought a dive knife, to buy one with a blunt end on the blade. They were better for getting the peanut butter out of a jar, which was probably all we would ever use them for.
I have migrated to these shears for Lionfish cleaning

1650470742382.png Lionfish, Mark, Orlando, Troy.jpeg

Baja Bound for insurance. I buy an annual policy to make it easy to pop down there on a whimsey.
And there customer service is beyond good!

Yes, it is safe. Please post up to date developments in the country for travelers who are passing through.

Who is your preferred Mexican insurance company?
which company you have opted for? my brother will be traveling to Mexico in a few weeks, Let me know which company you're using and how much you're paying currently?

Last edited:
which company you have opted for? my brother will be traveling in Mexico in a few weeks, Let me know which company you're using and how much you're paying?

I would have to look back at my records. I think I went through my insurance company (geico). The cost was $2-300 for 2 weeks of full coverage.

Baja Bound has always been great and pretty competitive on price. Been using them for 30 years.

which company you have opted for? my brother will be traveling in Mexico in a few weeks, Let me know which company you're using and how much you're paying?
Good suggestions above, but Mexico insurance is not a one size fits all deal.
How long is the trip? is it a one and done, or does he plan on multiple trips in a year?
what is the value of the bike? Might just want liability or need full coverage.
Is there a note on the bike?
How far below the border, and in what states is he traveling?
A lot of variables to consider before picking a plan.

Much depends on insurance. If one's health insurance is only US-based, a medivac would be necessary to take that person to the US for treatment to cover costs. If one has international catastrophic insurance, then Mexican hospitals would be fine. We do have excellent hospital care here.
Agree with this, the second type you have mentioned can easily cover abroad medical costs

Last edited:
I wanted to share that I just got back from a two week trip down to the Cape and back with a few friends we were all on big heavy adventure bikes so very little off road.

In all my 40 years I have never seen Baja so green and beautiful.
The road was almost perfect except for a few areas where the storms caused damaged all were in the process of being repaired.

Fuel was no issues all stations open and happy to see us.
The guys with small tanks needed a top off in Catavina.

All the police were friendly and helpful ( we got some restaurant tips from a couple)

All the check points were friendly and engaging never felt a hit of a threat

if Baja is drawing you my advise is go ASAP.... and enjoy !

Headed to Nuevo Vallarta soon

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh