What's new

Is Mexico Safe?

Yinzer Moto

Member Number
Yes, it is safe. Please post up to date developments in the country for travelers who are passing through.

Who is your preferred Mexican insurance company?

Reactions: MVI
Heck no its not safe, we're talking about motorcycles here :-)

I did a trip down there just last fall along with a Ride Report on the old forum = MEXICO - The good stuff on the bike you have

Happy to contribute content for my fellow inmates, not so much the new Corporate Overlords. The trip coming this fall will be here in Ride Report's :super

Yinzer Moto , in reply to your question. I have used Adventure Mexican Insurance for this past trip and I think Baja Bound on some other ones. While it would suck to have an accident down there, I would like to hear first hand reports of how people were treated after an event by the carrier. That is the better judge of who I would like to use in the future.

Along with that I bought a Medjet Assist policy and included the optional Motorcycle transportation coverage (it was cheap, $50'ish or so)

Cheers, Chris

Common Links

Adventure Mexican Insurance

Documentation Entering Mexico for Americans

Documents Required for Entering Mexico For Canadians

Banjercito - Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit

Last edited:
41qHzPuG+9L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Heck no its not safe, we're talking about motorcycles here :-)

I did a trip down there just last fall along with a Ride Report on the old forum = MEXICO - The good stuff on the bike you have

Happy to contribute content for my fellow inmates, not so much the new Corporate Overlords. The trip coming this fall will be here in Ride Report's :super

Yinzer Moto , in reply to your question. I have used Adventure Mexican Insurance for this past trip and I think Baja Bound on some other ones. While it would suck to have an accident down there, I would like to hear first hand reports of how people were treated after an event by the carrier. That is the better judge of who I would like to use in the future.

Along with that I bought a Medjet Assist policy and included the optional Motorcycle transportation coverage (it was cheap, $50'ish or so)

Cheers, Chris

I haven’t figured out what medjet provides that I need.
Maybe If I was in Mongolia with a blown spleen, but not sure what good it does in Mexico.

Maybe If I was in Mongolia with a blown spleen, but not sure what good it does in Mexico.

Much depends on insurance. If one's health insurance is only US-based, a medivac would be necessary to take that person to the US for treatment to cover costs. If one has international catastrophic insurance, then Mexican hospitals would be fine. We do have excellent hospital care here.

Reactions: cal
We're south of Ensenada and heading all the way down before ferrying over to the mainland. Fantastic experiences so far.

Someone rifled through the little pouches I didn't take in with me but decided my zip ties, fuses, and emergency matches weren't worth taking! Be smart, make an effort to communicate, and don't be a dick. You know, the things you should be doing wherever you are.

What's not safe about Mexico is having unfettered access to $1 tacos.

I try to be pretty self sufficient on the road and in life, this is kind of one of the things that I don't really need either until I must have it.

I would not need this at all hopefully, a crash with run of the mill injuries or even broken arm or leg I might not even need it. A major injury? Yeah, I am going to want to come back stateside and go direct to the hospital of my choice. As a paramedic, I KNOW any transport gets expensive very quickly. Toss in a fixed wing aircraft and two ICU nurse crew? Warp speed Expen$ive.

In summary, its for that outlier event you hope never occurs.

Cheers, Chris

I sometimes have a difficult time expressing myself in print, I do buy trip insurance just not med jet.
my understanding is they will take you from one medical facility in a foreign country, but with exclusions, to a state side hospital of your choosing.
The insurance I buy covers from the accident scene to a local hospital , will fly someone down to my location and will fly me to a state side hospital.
Of course this is untested by me. And I hope to keep it that way.

Stordog ,

Sounds like we have the same idea towards the same goal.

I got a DAN policy for myself and Dad when we rafted the Grand Canyon, it was recommended by others who purchased policies and a few that had to use them.

Eager to compare cost vs potential benefit, especially in a trip planning thread. Who do you use for your travels?

Cheers, Chris

Proly should not…

Learned to swim in Rio Pecos. Fish camped with family both sides of Rio Bravo Norte ‘50s. One of best days of life was 2 up on 50cc rental on Isla Mujeres. Return to mainland was epic. Open outboard tiller steer, downwind wave jumping, captain passing plastic bag full of today’s squid and a bottle of tequilla…

Dangerous? LOFnL

Back
Top Bottom