What's new

Just wanna ride...

Captain Jim

Shiftless
Member Number
If you've spent any time in Battle Scooters on the ADV forum, you may have seen my "All About Scooters" thread. As an introduction: Captain Jim here; the "captain" comes from my former job (retired) as a commercial boat captain. My wife and I have been riding since high school (which was a long time ago) and this latest bike I bought is #32. Currently, we have 2 scooters (my Vespa GTS 300 HPE and her Yamaha Xmax) and a motorcycle, that aforementioned #32, a Honda CTX700 DCT. Space is a concern for us, so it has been one bike each for the last decade or so; that means I am looking for a new home for the Vespa GTS. Eventually, we will be back to 2 bikes. As an introduction, here is the lastest video I shot with the CTX and the Xmax...

Sell the Vespa?? I think you will regret that. Once you get the scooter virus it's hard to get rid of it.

Sell the Vespa?? I think you will regret that. Once you get the scooter virus it's hard to get rid of it.
I already have separation anxiety just listing the Vespa for sale. Space isn't just the final frontier - it's a limiting factor on how many bikes one can have.

I already have separation anxiety just listing the Vespa for sale. Space isn't just the final frontier - it's a limiting factor on how many bikes one can have.
I understand the space limitation. I have 4 bikes and 5 would be a real tight fit:D

Mark my words, you will end up back on a scooter!

One last thing to do to the CTX to get it set up the way I want: install a center stand. T-Rex Racing makes one that is designed for the bike. Even so, with the tight clearance, low height (working on it in our daughter's garage, on the floor), and two really strong springs, I expected it to be a pain in the butt... it exceeded my expectations.

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2022/04/i-thought-that-install-would-be-pain-in.html

[IMG]

With Joan's help on the last part, we got it done. She also contributed the solution to lining up the springs on the post... she is as smart as she is pretty. (Can't say the same for me.)

It's in the 90s for high temps for the next week here in the Valley of the Sun - best to ride early for a while.

I took Joan's Xmax out late yesterday. She has Grip Puppies on that bike, and I was giving some consideration to that on the CTX. After spending the last 3 weeks on the CTX, I felt like a "hooligan" on her Xmax - light, peppy, and so maneuverable.

It's in the 90s for high temps for the next week here in the Valley of the Sun

I need to figure out how to be more mobile. Winter has been hanging on for far too long up here. Then anytime it gets warm, it has been raining. Next week looks like we might get a few days in the mid 70’s. :super

The Vespa is sold. A gentleman from Mesa bought it; he owned a Vespa in the past, so he knew what he was getting. And, yes, I miss it already. But, there will be plenty of riding ahead, and I am still a co-owner of an Xmax, with a pretty Blonde. So... still a scooter guy. Really.

Congratulations! You seem to have less difficulty shedding possessions than many of us have, and you're a lucky person because of it. Too much stuff is still too much stuff.

Congratulations! You seem to have less difficulty shedding possessions than many of us have, and you're a lucky person because of it. Too much stuff is still too much stuff.
There are a few possessions I have that I can't part with, but they aren't of the motorcycle, scooter, car, truck variety. Two wheels has been a passion of mine since I was a kid, but I know there is always another bike to be had. We've done well in picking bikes that will handle the kind of riding we want to do... but that desire changes from time to time. When we were doing long distance riding, full-dress bikes were the answer. When the hip got to the point that I couldn't toss a leg over a motorcycle, those Honda PCXes were everything I needed. And then... changes. The Vespas were just right when I wanted a bit more highway comfort AND a flatter floor. And then, the new hip... in the past year, I have been looking at motorcycles again, but not at all dissatisfied with the Vespa. Right now, I am enjoying a bit more bike once again. I have no delusions that there won't come a time when I am looking for something lighter and easier once again. But, it is easy enough to swap bikes. For our situation, though, it really has to be one bike each.

Some have joked (maybe they weren't joking??) that I just wanted a bike that was faster than Joan's Xmax. Truth be told, she is the one who enjoys the competition more... when I got the Vespa and it was faster than her PCX, I knew she'd be looking for a bigger bike. And when I got the second Vespa (at her urging) and it still wasn't quite as fast as her Xmax, it was all good. We'll see how long before she gets interested in a bigger bike. ;-)

I am enjoying the heck out of the CTX, mostly because of the DCT. She has been eyeing my bike, but hasn't shown any interest in riding it. She did "test sit" a Honda Rebel 1100 DCT at the same time I checked it out... she said, "Oh, this feels really comfortable." We'll see.

Congrats on selling the Vespa!

I too have looked at the Rebel 1100. It's even more appealing with the DCT. That bike may even be in my garage already if Honda offered test rides.

Happy riding!

Congrats on selling the Vespa!

I too have looked at the Rebel 1100. It's even more appealing with the DCT. That bike may even be in my garage already if Honda offered test rides.

Happy riding!

Yeah, I got on Honda's website last year to see if they are doing demo rides at any of the big events, like Sturgis. Nope. Based on what a couple dealers have told me, that bike is hard to come by.

Photographic proof that the Xmax gets its place in the cargo trailer...

BikesInTrailerRamp.jpg

I took Joan's Xmax for a ride today - gusty winds (and blowing dirt); I wanted to see if the raised windshield position makes a difference... yep. She asked me to raise the windshield, but didn't want to deal with the wind. I am her scooter valet and test pilot. I think it will be quieter for her. That Xmax is such a competent bike! It just does everything without fuss.

Photographic proof that the Xmax gets its place in the cargo trailer...

BikesInTrailerRamp.jpg

I took Joan's Xmax for a ride today - gusty winds (and blowing dirt); I wanted to see if the raised windshield position makes a difference... yep. She asked me to raise the windshield, but didn't want to deal with the wind. I am her scooter valet and test pilot. I think it will be quieter for her. That Xmax is such a competent bike! It just does everything without fuss.
The X Max looks bigger than the CTX from the back.

Back
Top Bottom