What's new

Just wanna ride...

What a great day, ran some errands on the scooter. Picked up a new kitchen faucet, toilet seat and screen frame for the rental units. Then ran to Dairy Queen for a couple blizzards.

8F3986ED-D002-4C3A-BBD3-C51373DA26AA.jpeg

The X Max looks bigger than the CTX from the back.

It is taller than the CTX, especially noticeable from the back, with the top case off the Honda. The CTX is longer; heavier, lower seat height.

What size is your trailer?

The "box" portion of it is 6.5' x 8', with the V-nose extending another 45" - about 15' overall length with the tongue. It is a Featherlite trailer that I bought to haul the V-Strom I had at the time. Room to spare when we switched to the PCXes. With the Vespa and the Xmax, I set up the chock and frame on the right side for the Vespa, giving us access with the side door. It's getting a bit snug now with the Xmax on the right side... the Xmax with the rear rack is significantly longer than the Vespa.

One more accessory for the CTX: a Motoparty Windshield Extension...

I had a Laminar Lip on the Faco mid-height windshield on the Vespa and it made a significant difference in noise and buffeting. I considered going with another of those on the CTX - in checking around, I came across this Motoparty (yes, odd name). It seems to be a Chinese knock off of the Puig clip-on. At $32.99, I didn't think I could go too wrong. It was delivered yesterday (I sure do like Amazon's next day delivery in the big city - we don't get that at home), I installed it last night. The instructions were a bit skimpy, as was the video from the manufacturer. Mine came more assembled than the instructions, so it only took a few minutes of fiddling with it to determine how it attaches and adjusts. It came with a metal screw and wingnut to replace some of the plastic bits that seemed like they'd be problematic.

I got out this morning on the highway where I could run the bike up to 80 mph - this windshield extension works as advertised: significantly less noise, no buffeting. I made runs in both directions to account for any wind, then did it all a second time with a different helmet (the Schuberth C3 Pro helmet seems more aerodynamic than the Nolan N70-2GT). Same results. After running it at speed, I snugged up the wingnuts (hardly moved). There was no vibration on this extension and everything held up fine. You can adjust the angle by hand (you need two hands to do it, so not something you can do while running down the road); changing the height of the extension is a matter of loosening the wingnuts. You can remove the whole thing with 4 set screws with the provided tiny allen wrench.

It is advertised as "universal," and with 6 "joints," I can see how it should fit most windshields. I bought the clear version (also available in a tint); here's how it looks...

Extension.jpg

I can see over it while looking ahead, have to look through it for closer; it seems optically decent. It is about the same thickness as my Givi windshield. At about 1/3 the price of the Puig extension, I'm thinking this is a good addition.

Getting short. Not my height. We are still in the desert, looking to head out one day next week. The original plan was to leave on the 15th, but that put it at the start of the Easter weekend; hoping to avoid traffic and packed RV parks, we moved things back to "sometime this next week." Mother Nature has some hot and windy days in store for us. Normally, we would have been home by this time, but we got a late start getting out this winter. We've enjoyed our time here - made some ride changes with the CTX coming in and the Vespa GTS going out.

I got out on the CTX for a while today - hot and windy seems to be the theme. On my way back to the motorhome, I swung by our daughter's house. Joan was there baking a cake, and I was in need of rehydrating. It felt good to get out of the sun for a while.

We did the last of the work on the cargo trailer this morning and the final "test fit" of the bikes strapped down. The positioning looks good.

We'll be looking at weather along our route and pick a day to get rolling.

Have you decided where you will be spending the summer?

After a lot of discussion, I convinced Joan that we should go to the Black Hills again. No, I haven't forgotten what Mother Nature did to us last year. But, the riding is SO good. And the good riding starts as soon as we get out of the RV resort. And plenty of options for non-ethanol gas. And Iron Mountain Road, Vanocker Canyon, Custer State Park, and...

We have a few days before we can make that first reservation. I also negotiated for getting out a week earlier. We'll see how it plays out.

;-)

After a lot of discussion, I convinced Joan that we should go to the Black Hills again. No, I haven't forgotten what Mother Nature did to us last year. But, the riding is SO good. And the good riding starts as soon as we get out of the RV resort. And plenty of options for non-ethanol gas. And Iron Mountain Road, Vanocker Canyon, Custer State Park, and...

We have a few days before we can make that first reservation. I also negotiated for getting out a week earlier. We'll see how it plays out.

;-)
I'll be heading through that area in June. I have a wedding to go to in North Dakota. Since I am going that way anyway I figure I might as well put a scooter in the back of my truck and ride a few states that I have never ridden before. I will be able to check off Nebraska, SD, ND, Iowa and Minnesota. Most of those states are just a check off on my list but I have wanted to ride the Black Hills so I will probably spend a couple of days there. Maybe we can at least say Hi. I'll let you know when I have more definite plans.

I'll be heading through that area in June. I have a wedding to go to in North Dakota. Since I am going that way anyway I figure I might as well put a scooter in the back of my truck and ride a few states that I have never ridden before. I will be able to check off Nebraska, SD, ND, Iowa and Minnesota. Most of those states are just a check off on my list but I have wanted to ride the Black Hills so I will probably spend a couple of days there. Maybe we can at least say Hi. I'll let you know when I have more definite plans.

It would be a treat to get some face-to-face if the timing works. Keep me posted.

This photo popped up on my Facebook Memories today...

PCXes.jpg

That is us on the PCXes that kept me riding when the left hip crapped out on me. I have a place in my heart and memories for those very capable small scoots. If not for those, I likely would have been done riding back then. And, that would be a darn shame. Might be selective memory, but I think I have enjoyed riding more in the past 9 years than the 9 years before that (on a Harley, a BMW and a V-Strom... gradual downsizing).

Why can your wife flat foot the PCX, but not you?

(Just teasing ya!!)
That's a legit question. The obvious answer is: I am taller, she is longer legged*. The less obvious answer: we switched to those scoots because of my hip, and it hurt like hell to extend that leg... you can see my knee is bent, so there is more reach; I just couldn't use it. But, I could flat-foot the PCX - there would just be some grunting at that time. Now: that hip allows me to move around like a youngster of 59 or so. Just kidding - the hip is new, the rest of me is old.

* I would say, "Compare our torsos," but hers looks a lot better than mine. I can handle the teasing. ;-)

Done. The CTX is licensed, registered, got the gate transponder to get through the security gate on our island, and home. NOW it feels like we are home.

CTX1.jpg

Nice ride from our storage unit (where we left it for a couple days) to home. The Dual Clutch Transmission is a real delight on this bike.

I put a set of Grip Puppies on the CTX and went out for a ride this morning, stopping in the parking lot of the SPI Convention Center - it's a great place to practice low speed maneuvering, using the lines from the parking spaces. Got it down to 2 parking spaces for a full U-turn.

CTXCC.jpg

CTXlogo.jpg

Got out for a ride today - really needed the two-wheel therapy. Joan and I got our second Covid boosters and pneumonia shots on Friday... the body aches for both of us kicked in that afternoon. Saturday, every muscle and joint ached. But this morning - mostly pain-free. I got out before the heat of the day and the weekend traffic rolled in. No photos, but the riding was good. And, necessary.

Yesterday, it was blowing like stink; tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same (gusts above 40 mph). Springtime in the Tropical Tip. Today, it was warm and humid and the wind was only blowing around 20... I got out on the bike before 8:00 am. Just what I needed. I put the 360 camera on the bike - no plan for a video, but we'll see. It gave me the opportunity to get a photo riding by my favorite mural: a Wyland Whaling Wall...

[IMG]

[IMG]

The wind is pretty typical this time of year. I used to like it when we had sailboats, although you can have too much of a good thing. The wind surfers and kite surfers should be enjoying themselves. 40 mph gusts as you are riding over the causeway aren't much fun on a bike. So, I pick my times/days.

As I went out the door, Joan said, "Is it acceptable to wear a Vespa shirt (I'm wearing one of the shirts our daughter made for me) when you're riding a Honda?"

"Maybe tomorrow I'll toss on one of my Harley t-shirts," I joked back.
:-)
The Vespa t-shirt is under the mesh/armor shirt I'm wearing. Really. I'm not making a statement with my fashion choices.
icon10.gif

You folks up north have to deal with snow drifts. Here in the Tropical Tip...

2CTXdrifts.jpg

Yeah, sand drifts.

I was going through some old photo files this afternoon and came across these "blasts from the past"...

From 1983 or 84, this family photo...

FamBikesHDWing.jpg

On the right, that's Joan's Honda Goldwing Aspencade; on the left is my Harley FXRT, HD's first shot a a sport touring bike.

From 1979...

JimSportster.jpg

Me on my first Sportster. It shook like a paint-mixer, but had great torque. I was tougher back then - I rode that bike on multi-state outings.

And this family image from 1981...

FamilyBikePhotoE 2.jpg

Joan's Yamaha Midnight Maxim, my HD Sturgis (their first model with belt drive), and our daughter (9 years old at the time) on her Yamaha DT80 (IIRC).

Ah, the memories.

After doing some touch-up on the Herculiner floor in the cargo trailer, I took Joan's Xmax out for a ride...

If you don't want to click the link, it was "National Drive Slow In Front Of Jim Day" again today. Still, a good ride. That Xmax is a fine scoot.

After a couple days of stormy weather, it was great to get out on the bike today. I shot some 360 still images and put up a discussion of that on the blog...

A few images from the same 360 still file...

13aJim.jpg

13bForward.jpg

13dJim.jpg

13TinyCC.jpg

Best thing about 360, besides the incredible video you can get from it, is the option of deciding what you want the view to be after you shoot it. There's more on that blog post, but feel free to ask any questions here if you have them.

Top Bottom Back Refresh