What's new

Kawasaki KLX250 / KLX300 Thread

Here are the pictures of my two tie down points.

The brake guard has the sharp edges smoothed and rounded. Then, there are two 1/8 inch nylon spacers under it to ease the threading of the strap.

The left side is a bracket I had in a box. Added a key ring and bolted it to the stress relief hole in the frame gusset. Also easy to thread the strap.

IMG_20221012_065821869.jpg

IMG_20221012_070031080.jpg

Here are the pictures of my two tie down points.

The brake guard has the sharp edges smoothed and rounded. Then, there are two 1/8 inch nylon spacers under it to ease the threading of the strap.

The left side is a bracket I had in a box. Added a key ring and bolted it to the stress relief hole in the frame gusset. Also easy to thread the strap.

IMG_20221012_065821869.jpg

IMG_20221012_070031080.jpg
That’s a nice solution!

I took the rear foot pegs off and used the bolts as the anchor points. I used zip ties around the frame tube as insurance to make sure the straps didn’t slip off the bolts. It’s pretty easy to get on and off.

Here's a closer picture of the anchor point:
IMG_1087.JPG

Before this trip I did strip the bike down to clean and inspect everything. I discovered that I was pinching the wire harness pretty bad under the rear cowl. I fixed the wires then used a small block of polyurethane to keep the cowl from crushing the wires. I also put two of the bolts from the OE pouch back in to help carry the weight of my tent roll since I had to cinch that down very tight to keep it in place.

You can see the bolts under the bag here:
2022-09-29 23.16.55.jpg

I have to say, I'm so continuously impressed by these bikes! My bike took an absolute beating on this trip and held up extremely well.

It ran long hours; from dawn till sometimes after dusk:
2022-10-01 19.40.57.jpg

It took some hits:
2022-10-02 17.53.21.jpg

It got bashed. Those bolts are supposed to be parallel:
2022-10-11 22.44.06.jpg

It got overheated when a hose got knocked off by debris:
IMG_0799.JPG

It got frozen when the temps dropped:
2022-10-03 07.22.13.jpg
2022-10-03 07.37.28.jpg

It got dunked in mud:
2022-10-04 16.33.45.jpg

And rained on:
2022-10-06 16.33.53.jpg

By the end the KLX was ready to keep right on going... the same definitely could not be said about me.
2022-10-03 11.37.42.jpg

Yeah, that's sweat that was dripping off of me and blowing back onto the luggage. That's how tough many parts of this ride were on me. For the KLX though it was just another ride in the woods. I actually hugged my bike when we got home.

If I had to guess I'd estimate that I've burned about 200 gallons of fuel in those 11k miles.

Here's what 200 gallons looks like. Kinda hard to believe...

200g-VertTank.jpg

Man, I wish I had the luck with my KLX that you’ve had with yours. I don’t regret getting rid of mine and my CRF250RX is better off road, but I think about getting another KLX as a commuter/buddy bike. I’ve got an XT250 fulfilling that role right now but it’s not got the guts that the KLX300 has. If I were to get another KLX300, it would have to be green. I could get the R version and get it street legal as I’ve done with the CRF250RX but it wouldn’t have the solid subframe like the dual sport version I don’t believe. I’d like the option of making a light ADV bike out of it too.

Here's a couple of pics of the Giant Loop Mojave luggage on my bike after my trip last week. The zip ties over the seat aren't part of the luggage but were an improvised tie down point for my hydration pack when I strapped it on top of the roll I had on the back of the bike. I did a lot of improvising on this trip!

IMG_1081.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG
I have those on my bike

Man, I wish I had the luck with my KLX that you’ve had with yours. I don’t regret getting rid of mine and my CRF250RX is better off road, but I think about getting another KLX as a commuter/buddy bike. I’ve got an XT250 fulfilling that role right now but it’s not got the guts that the KLX300 has. If I were to get another KLX300, it would have to be green. I could get the R version and get it street legal as I’ve done with the CRF250RX but it wouldn’t have the solid subframe like the dual sport version I don’t believe. I’d like the option of making a light ADV bike out of it too.
My 250X is way more capable and fun offroad than the KLX. And your RX is way ahead of the X so I'm sure it's an absolute blast!

I'd put money on it that the issue you had with the rad fan was somehow related to the problems you had later. I'd have to guess that it was some type of wiring or electrical defect, possibly even within the ECU.

I've lightened my bike down to about 290 lbs wet.

IIRC correctly the R is about 282 lbs vs 302 for the non-R. It has more travel front and rear, more ground clearance and a bigger front brake. The R used to be $100 cheaper but now they are the same price.

I still think you'd love a CRF450RL

All of the durability, but truly next level performance
I’m still strongly considering making the switch for next year. :thumb

The only other option I’m considering at this point is keeping the KLX and adding a T7 to my garage.

I was on a ride with friends. We stopped for ice cream and when I came out that "accessory" had been installed on my bike. I don't know where it came from.
Great Idea, I have the DYMO already

I’m still strongly considering making the switch for next year. :thumb

The only other option I’m considering at this point is keeping the KLX and adding a T7 to my garage.
I would suggest getting a 450L now, as they can be had very reasonably priced used.

Wait for the hype to die down on the T7.

I believe that your riding will progress with a top shelf suspension and chassis, rather than persisting with pleasant klx300.

Truly like comparing a Porsche 911 to a Corolla

Can you ride jwaller's bike?

I would suggest getting a 450L now, as they can be had very reasonably priced used.

Wait for the hype to die down on the T7.

I believe that your riding will progress with a top shelf suspension and chassis, rather than persisting with pleasant klx300.

Truly like comparing a Porsche 911 to a Corolla

Can you ride jwaller's bike?
Sound advice.

I’m not positive I’m going to make a change yet but if I do I have decided it’ll be to the 450 not the T7.

DJ_MI, You're welcome to try my CRF450L if you're ever in Texas. Or if this summer I go up north..... We have family and friends in Wisconsin and that's a FAR better place to spend the summer than Hell's back doorstep (TX in the summer). I'm guessing the MI stands for Michigan?

A trip up north to do the TWAT and then the UP would be a great way to spend summer vacation. If, by this summer, you're still on the KLX300 but curious about the CRF450L, and I just happen to be in the general vicinity, we could meet up, swap bikes for a bit, and let you see if the CRF450L is for you.

Something tells me you're probably not going to be riding very much for a while pretty soon. Are y'all under snow yet?

Top Bottom Back Refresh