What's new

Kayaking

Bill_M

Member Number
Haven't seen a kayaking thread here anywhere... so I'll start one. We have four, two hard shelled and two inflatable kayaks.

The hard shelled are about 12-13 years old now, purchased from Costco, 10' recreational kayaks. They have been well used, and are holding up quite well in spite of not being very carefully stored over the years.

DSC02765.jpg

We recently picked up the inflatables to have something we could take along on trips in the campervan. These fold up and store in a backpack, and both of them fit under the bed in our van. Takes about 15 minutes total to get both of them unpacked and ready to launch. They are the Advanced Element AdvancedFrame Ultralite.

20220407_172447.jpg

We will still use the hard-shelled for local stuff, but these inflatables are awesome for carrying along on road trips.

I have an Acend D10 that I paddle around Kansas with. There is not much extreme stuff here in the heartland, but we still enjoy the water. Kansas does have many state fishing lakes and wildlife areas with water than can be publicly accessed as well as 3 big navigable rivers.
1660590521788.png

PXL_20220515_192224988.PANO.jpg

1660590923502.png

I'd love to add an inflatable yak to my fleet. The hard shell is just a bit much to take on vacation.

Last edited:
Haven't seen a kayaking thread here anywhere... so I'll start one. We have four, two hard shelled and two inflatable kayaks.

The hard shelled are about 12-13 years old now, purchased from Costco, 10' recreational kayaks. They have been well used, and are holding up quite well in spite of not being very carefully stored over the years.

DSC02765.jpg

We recently picked up the inflatables to have something we could take along on trips in the campervan. These fold up and store in a backpack, and both of them fit under the bed in our van. Takes about 15 minutes total to get both of them unpacked and ready to launch. They are the Advanced Element AdvancedFrame Ultralite.

20220407_172447.jpg

We will still use the hard-shelled for local stuff, but these inflatables are awesome for carrying along on road trips.
Greetings from a former Monroe-ite! I grew up there. My wife and I picked two 9.5' entry-level Field & Stream models four years ago. It's been fun, they fit in the back of the truck, no special racks required. We've got some decent use out of them. I haven't fell into the drink...yet!:lol3
20220521_123501.jpg

Greetings from a former Monroe-ite! I grew up there. My wife and I picked two 9.5' entry-level Field & Stream models four years ago. It's been fun, they fit in the back of the truck, no special racks required. We've got some decent use out of them. I haven't fell into the drink...yet!:lol3
20220521_123501.jpg

Nice! I'm a transplant to the area, but have lived here for about 25 years now.

Yeah, our 10'ers fit fine in the back of my F150 (6.5' bed). I leave the tailgate closed, and angle them in, that way they don't stick out very far at all behind the truck.

Nice! I'm a transplant to the area, but have lived here for about 25 years now.

Yeah, our 10'ers fit fine in the back of my F150 (6.5' bed). I leave the tailgate closed, and angle them in, that way they don't stick out very far at all behind the truck.
I'm pretty sure you've graduated from transplant status! Same-same hauling our Kayaks. It would be fun to float the Skykomish River from Sultan to the Snohomish River. We used to jump off of the train trestle into the river in Monroe (I think it's gone now), that and the Lewis Street Bridge!

I'm pretty sure you've graduated from transplant status! Same-same hauling our Kayaks. It would be fun to float the Skykomish River from Sultan to the Snohomish River. We used to jump off of the train trestle into the river in Monroe (I think it's gone now), that and the Lewis Street Bridge!
Is any of that section white water? I know it gets pretty crazy once you get east of Sultan.

I'm okay with eagles, deer, and even a bear. I don't want to play with true aquatic apex predators!

I didn't know we had a kayak thread. I have a decent Perception sit-on and recently found a like-new sit-in Wilderness Systems Pungo 120. The Pungo is like a race car compared to the Perception.

Last edited:
Impressive. You guys must have been enjoying kayaking. I have no experience of it.

It can be a lot of fun. Multi-day trips, fishing, or just a few hours paddling around. It's easy to see wildlife up close without spooking them - even dinosaurs, like Punkinhead.

I don't know how it is in your area, but many places near lakes & rivers in the U.S. will rent a canoe or kayak for a reasonable fee.

Back
Top Bottom