What's new

Key or Fob?

Do you like a key or a fob better?

• Key

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • Fob

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters
My newest bike, a Honda ADV150 came with a Key Fob. Actually it came with 2. It's nice having a spare. So far it has been very convenient. No more getting on the bike with my gloves on and realizing I forgot my key in my pocket. We'll see how I feel if I have a problem with the system. I still have to carry a key for the top box I added.

Doesn't matter because anymore even the keys have the exact type of RFID chips in them, and if you don't get them programmed (yes at the dealer) the key won't work anyway.....and there are failures that make the ECU loose the key encoding so you have to start over.

So the key is just an added step to starting the bike. That is if you want to ride bikes made after 2005 or so.
None of my Yamahas…….Super Tenere, Tenere 700, or Tracer 900 GT have a chipped key....just straight $6.00 keys from the local locksmith. Plus, all three use the same blank.

That said, I still prefer keys over fobs.

Fobs are fine until they're not. I go no problem having that system on a bike as long as I can operate the whole bike with a key if I decide a fob isn't worth repairing/replacing in the future.

Fun luxury, shouldn't be a requirement to operate the bike.

I've never had an issue turning a key while wearing gloves and I've certainly never snapped one off. Those situations feel like a bit of a stretch when justifying fobs imo.

Fobs are fine until they're not. I go no problem having that system on a bike as long as I can operate the whole bike with a key if I decide a fob isn't worth repairing/replacing in the future.

Fun luxury, shouldn't be a requirement to operate the bike.

I've never had an issue turning a key while wearing gloves and I've certainly never snapped one off. Those situations feel like a bit of a stretch when justifying fobs imo.

Fobs are fine as long as you don't lose them. That sucks and they are expensive.

It also varies by manufacturer. Ducati does it a LOT better than KTM for example.

Next step is already here. There are some vehicles (some BMWs for example) where your phone is your key. How will you start your bike then, if your phones battery is flat?
And how long until they also turn that in to a monthly subscription? 🙄

Seriously. I saw an article recently saying that a carmaker (I think BMW) was going to make the heated seats a subscription. Are you fucking kidding me? I'm a HARD NO on that shit.
Yea, I saw that too but, I think, they're going to try it out over on this side of the pond first to see if it floats. It may be easier to cram down the EU throat because of their historical view of politics* than in the USofA.

* The EU declared that carrots were fruit. Had people destroy $50,000 worth of Kiwis because they were too small (couldn't even donate them to food kitchens). And, at one time, cucumbers could only have so many degrees of curve before they couldn't be sold/eaten/given away, etc.

I voted key, but I'm biased against fobs because of my stupid-ass Grand Cherokee. It has a key, but it also has some sort of electronic fob-like reader. When the battery dies in the key you can still start the car, but it dies immediately because the car can't "see" the key. Worst of both worlds. And $250 at the dealer to fix. Goddammit I hate my Grand Cherokee. If anyone ever tries to give you one, even for free, punch them in the face and walk away. Even if it's your mom.

Everybody is looking at how well the recurring payments have worked out for software companies, and are trying to extend it to hardware.

Stupid IMHO... No way am I signing up for subscription based car options. I won't even do Sirius on my car stereos, much less make a monthly payment to have heated seats.

Unfortunately this is the new paradigm......
As "Boomers" we have been used to paying for a feature or option then "owning" it.
The younger generations have grown up with subscription services, Netflix - Hulu - video games - Sirrus- ect.
They are used to this and will not be as resistant to the change.
This will become more & more common.

I'm more worried about motorcycle manufactures embracing the John Deere model, where ONLY a factory
authorized technician has access to proprietary software/services. Making your own repairs or mods impossible or very difficult
:(:(:(

I'm not worried. Somebody somewhere will always end up hacking the things.

Disabled heated grips that are already on the bike? They surely underestimate people's ability to use some wires, a switch, and 12 volts.

I'm not worried. Somebody somewhere will always end up hacking the things.

Disabled heated grips that are already on the bike? They surely underestimate people's ability to use some wires, a switch, and 12 volts.
Yeah, same thing for heated seats in a car.

Ya, It's bullshit. I'm not paying a monthly fee to use a vehicle I already own.

I do understand the 'pay a fee to activate' a feature that wasn't included at sale. For example, I recently had traction control enabled. It was not sold with the bike but for a small fee the dealer activated it. It was a one time purchase, not a subscription. Now I own it. No big deal. But if I had to pay a monthly fee to continue to use it that would be another story.

I hear ya. And you're not wrong. For example, I had added TPMS myself. Plugged in the module and programed it. When I got it back from the dealer TPMS was gone. Had to program it again. I suspect the computer re-flashed the ECU and since TPMS wasn't officially on the bike it deactivated it. I suppose that ASC could get 'lost' somehow, but at least the dealer has record of me buying it.

I'm a key guy for sure......for all the simplicity reasons that others have listed. However, I wish I had a nickel for every time I've put my gloves on and then realized I left the key in my pants pocket..........

Keep yer fobs. I've already got more than enough shit that requires me to monitor state of charge or battery condition, thank you very much.

My 2020 Road Glide is the only bike I've owned that has the fob. It's a small puck type and fits in a jeans pocket without being too bulky. Harley uses the Kenmore Deep-Freezer barrel type key for the ignition lock and sadlebags so you still need that key too. I like the convenience the fob provides when I'm on a quick stop because I can just kill the ignition switch and when I walk away the bike is disabled. Plus, on my old Road King with the key, a lot of times I would lock the ignition to go inside the gas station to take a leak or whatever, and upon return I would get ready to ride off after putting my gloves on realize the ignition was locked. Damnnit!! Off with the gloves to fetch the key out of my pocket... Another feature I think Harley got right was to allow a user-defined PIN to crank the bike if you lose the fob or the fob battery dies. You can enter the code through a series of blinker button clicks.

IMG_8417.jpg

IMG_8416.jpg

Back
Top Bottom