What's new

Key or Fob?

Do you like a key or a fob better?

• Key

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • Fob

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters
I voted fob, because I've come to like the keyless ignition in my Goldwing, but I don't have strong feelings either way.

I voted key even though my bike has a fob. I like the key better for its reliability but the fob for its convenience.
I remember when I still had my 1150 GSA , the new 1200 GS's came with the infamous key ring antenna debacle built-in, courtesy of Ze Germans..... On my way to Prudhoe, I met a guy who was stuck in BFE Yukon as his bike refused to start. As a matter of fact when the owner of my BMW dealership rode to AK he brought a spare antenna with him.... So I know things have gotten better over time, but I wouldn't mind a key either

I own a Super Tenere that uses a key only. I just purchased a 2022 BMW R1250GS that has a fob to start the bike and open the gas cap. But, it also has a key to open the BMW Vario saddle bags and to unlock the seats. So, I feel the BMW has the worst setup with the need for the fob and key. I‘d rather just have a simple key and take a pass on the fob.

I use the fob to unlock/start my truck 99.9% of the time, but still prefer the simplicity of a key for the bikes. I use a single key ring for all my 2 wheel toys (and their security locks), so a fob would only be one more thing to carry. I guess I could adapt, but I'd still carry a key for that one time when the fob battery fails me.

Last edited:
Showing my ignorance, and I'm sure it varies between bikes, but how do you manage helmet locks, seat locks and steering locks with a fob bike?

Showing my ignorance, and I'm sure it varies between bikes, but how do you manage helmet locks, seat locks and steering locks with a fob bike?
Depends on the bike. My SH Honda had a button that unlocked the top box when I was standing next to it. Rotating switch (that unlocked when I was standing next to it) would act as ignition and steering lock. In certain position it would enable buttons to open the fuel cap and under seat storage (which also unlocked the helmet lock).

Depends on the bike. My SH Honda had a button that unlocked the top box when I was standing next to it. Rotating switch (that unlocked when I was standing next to it) would act as ignition and steering lock. In certain position it would enable buttons to open the fuel cap and under seat storage (which also unlocked the helmet lock).
True, the BMWR1200RT has key fob central locking.

I have a fob for my Super Cub and I simply hate it. It's unnecessary. I wonder if it would be possible to retrofit a key system from the Trail.

My GSA has a key while my K has a fob. The latter offers a bit more convenience but I'll be spending $300 if I ever lose it, so I can't say the benefit outweighs the cost.

Key please. Thank goodness the new Suzi gsxs has an entirely stupid key.. wonderful. Replacement keys need only a key code and a few $, as many as you want, delivered by mail, and they work right out of the envelope.

I've had fobs on rental cars... I suppose they work, in some cases at least, and as long has you don't mind lugging around the huge fob. The fobs with fold-out keys seem like the worst possible solution... at that point why bother since the fob is clearly not good enough to be really trusted or be an adequate substitute.

If a thief wants the bike, they'll get it, fob or not. A fancy fob system might decrease their profit margin, but your bike is still stolen- and if you lose/damage the fob then you're paying $$$ just to start a bike you already own.

Why not go full retard and just unlock the bike when the designated cellphone is in range, like a tesla. Yeah, also ridiculous and stupid but at least theres no fob absurdity.

Last edited:
I'm getting more and certain that even if your bike would be using eye scanning people would be saying.
"That is stupid, what if you lose the eye and then need to ride home? Eh. What would you do then? Don't say use the other eye. What if you lose both eyes? How will you ride then?"

None are stupid and all the methods have some merits. Losing a key or losing a fob will both leave you stranded. Having designated cell phone will also leave you stranded as soon as the battery runs out.
There are many different solutions, both for keys and fobs. Some are better than others.

"I don't need no stinking CDI. Points been working fine for years"

There's always a group of old school holdovers and a group that want all the newest things. Neither are wrong. Sometimes I think we get convenience features marketed to us that end up jumping the shark.

I saw a vehicle in traffic the other day with no keyholes anywhere. What? No backup plan at all? Also overhead a guy talking to another fella about how someone's truck got stolen by thieves scanning the fob hanging in the house and using that to simply unlock and drive the truck away with ease.

If that last bit is true, I think this is one convenience item that needs major rethinking.

The fob has a flip out key, and you can add a ring for other keys.
That seems reasonable.
That has me picturing solenoid, servos, linkages or whatever in multiple places. Doesn't appeal to the Weight Nazi in me

There's always a group of old school holdovers and a group that want all the newest things. Neither are wrong. Sometimes I think we get convenience features marketed to us that end up jumping the shark.

I saw a vehicle in traffic the other day with no keyholes anywhere. What? No backup plan at all? Also overhead a guy talking to another fella about how someone's truck got stolen by thieves scanning the fob hanging in the house and using that to simply unlock and drive the truck away with ease.

If that last bit is true, I think this is one convenience item that needs major rethinking.
Don't need EFI. It just adds weight and complications. Carburetors work great.
Don't need no ABS.It just adds weight and complications. I have magic fingers.
Don't need any TPMS. It just adds weight and complications.I kick the tires, the rebound of my foot tells me the pressure.
:D

Don't need any TPMS. It just adds weight and complications.I kick the tires, the rebound of my foot tells me the pressure.
Honestly, EFI and simple ABS on the front wheel are just enough. Everything else is just a gizmo.

I'm getting more and certain that even if your bike would be using eye scanning people would be saying.
"That is stupid, what if you lose the eye and then need to ride home? Eh. What would you do then? Don't say use the other eye. What if you lose both eyes? How will you ride then?"

None are stupid and all the methods have some merits. Losing a key or losing a fob will both leave you stranded. Having designated cell phone will also leave you stranded as soon as the battery runs out.
There are many different solutions, both for keys and fobs. Some are better than others.

Agreed losing a fob == losing a key in immediate inconvenience otoh its lots faster, easier and cheaper to get a new key than a replacement fob. I got duplicate keys made for an '82 XS400, a blank from ebay, locksmith to copy the original.. about $30 all told.

Totally concur a designated phone or set of phones is a spectacularly bad idea but no shortage of folks love it apparently... me, a system like that is sufficient reason to not buy such a vehicle.

I have legit never checked a tire pressure in my life, beyond initial install of a new tire. Probably irresponsible. I've worn out a fuck ton of tires, never fussed over any of them.

Carbs been good to me. Gravity and air pressure. When your operating system is the laws of physics...I mean, that's pretty dependable.

According to the police the scanning of fob is possible. On the other hand, that requires thieves to acquire a system that can do that. To be prepared. In other words, organized crime. As long as your vehicle is not overly expensive it's pretty safe from that.
Forcing keyed vehicle to run is simpler and more a crime of opportunity. A simple joyride, where the vehicle is left somewhere in bad condition. Often in a bottom of a lake.

Back
Top Bottom