What's new

KLR650 Only Thread......

I had a lot of fun on that big green pig.

klr.jpg

Alright KLR afficianados, can someone explain to me the purpose of the rear brake hose hanging off the side of the swingarm? Looking at the 22 models and for the life of me, that seems wrong.

Alright KLR afficianados, can someone explain to me the purpose of the rear brake hose hanging off the side of the swingarm? Looking at the 22 models and for the life of me, that seems wrong.
I believe that started with the 08 model its so you can catch all the low limbs and clean the trail as you go.

Has anyone figured out yet if, on the gen 3, if one was to add an aftermarket muffler, will it make the bike too lean? Normally changes to intake and exhaust require rejetting. Obviously not a simple task on EFI without a reflash of the ECU or an add on tuner. Ive seen videos and such of mods made like this, but no mention of what it does to the a/f ratio. Some do it for noise, some claim weight savings. But honestly who is going to notice 7 lbs on this bike. A change to a lithium battery would equal some of those lbs.

The gen 3 is great. The wonky brake hose is due to routing and using the passenger peg mount as one of the clamp positions. Exhaust has been reported to work fine with the ecm. The 2022 does ride nicer with a half a tank of gas. So weight wise an exhaust, lighter battery and half a tank of gas could get the weight closer to 420lbs. 34lb reduction with over half being gas. Still heavy but the bike is great on the road. And does gravel well. Also 2ups nice.

I owned nine different Gen 1 and 2 KLRs over a 25 year period of time. I have yet to see a Gen 3 on the street and every local dealer has them in stock …… some with discounts. It appears that time may have passed the Gen 3 by???
Almost everyone I ride with is 60+, has owned one or more older KLRs, and has no desire for the Gen 3.

So, who thinks the Gen 3 will be a big seller?

It will sell as well as the other ones did. It really helps that Kawi is the only one from Japan that seems to be able to get bikes here.

I think the gen 3 does well with the crowd that passed up gen 1 and 2. I never expected some huge leap in performance from the decades of reviews from previous gens. Instead it was a touring thumper that was sought-after. Not many options exist. At the same time the 2022 is a great all around package of a bike. And one of the best backroad chill rides Ive ever owned. I think the bike will do well over time.

Attachments

• 217256CB-583A-4DB5-8897-79224799DB77.jpeg
    217256CB-583A-4DB5-8897-79224799DB77.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 71693925-B677-4644-9566-1E211815BF51.jpeg
    71693925-B677-4644-9566-1E211815BF51.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: MVI
Back
Top Bottom