What's new

KLX250/300/351 Stories

Great thread, thanks BD!

For a time we we’re on an ‘05 650 Berg (me) and an ‘05 KLX300 kickstart model for her.

I suspect we've crossed paths in years gone by over on UHE at some stage too. I exchange the occasional email with Taffy who no doubt has his issues, and most weeks I have a quick look there to see if anything interesting is happening. I've still got me '98 FE501, with over 800 hrs on it. Its got a bit cranky and probably needs a fresh top end, when I get around to it :gerg

It seems that in many ways that the 2006/07 might be the KLX sweet spot, dunno :hmmmmm

I suspect we've crossed paths in years gone by over on UHE at some stage too. I exchange the occasional email with Taffy who no doubt has his issues, and most weeks I have a quick look there to see if anything interesting is happening. I've still got me '98 FE501, with over 800 hrs on it. Its got a bit cranky and probably needs a fresh top end, when I get around to it :gerg

It seems that in many ways that the 2006/07 might be the KLX sweet spot, dunno :hmmmmm

Yes, I seem to remember you from UHE. I get along with Taffy, but he sure can ruffle feathers over there! I hung out with him at one of the Moab trips which was great fun.
83158DB1-A654-499C-B9AF-8239E5C05E1D.jpeg

I mostly ride my KDX200 off road now, which I originally bought for her. Sold my 650 and 300 Bergs, but I’m hanging onto the ‘11 570 I traded my buddy a Guzzi for. It’s overkill for the dirt riding we do now, but just too fun as a hooligan bike.
FE4CF248-4A1A-4BFE-91D8-24F7C588B951.jpeg

We’re in our 50’s now, so the pace is much slower but still loads of fun.

I agree that the 06/07 model KLX’s were the best of the dual sports. I especially like the the kick start version off road though because of it’s light weight. I believe they changed the ACR in 00/01, which helps them kick start easier.

It’s interesting to see what you’re doing to your KLX as I’ve considered replacing my KDX possibly with hers as it’s just been sitting for a few years. I’d just swap the KX500 forks and fat guy shock spring from the KDX. Of course a 351 kit would be nice. And maybe a Lectron carb?

I got my dad a brand new ‘97 back in the day and used it as a loaner bike for years. It was pretty indestructible. Can’t believe it was 25 years ago.
E1D0A9C0-27F2-462B-B7CE-603EEBED8FAE.jpeg

Thanks again for the thread, I’m thoroughly enjoying it!:ricky

Yeah, the damn calendar catches up unfortunately, 70 is real close now for me, and its been a downhill slide since 40. Much of the last 30 years I could compensate with cunning, but those days are fading now too. I would have liked to get to a UHE Moab event, but ducks weren't in alignment. They were for the DR rally though, and the slick rock is something special for sure.

The last 2 times I've been in England I've had a beer with Taffy, he's a good guy, but as you say, he's been able piss a few off over the years too.

Question. Should I change the title of this thread to KLX250/300/351 and add a bit of preamble to the first post to make it clear this thread is for all for their KLX stuff, ie have it morph into the KLX mega thread, or leave as is?

Question. Should I change the title of this thread to KLX250/300/351 and add a bit of preamble to the first post to make it clear this thread is for all for their KLX stuff, ie have it morph into the KLX mega thread, or leave as is?
Up to you man. I can change it if you can't.

KLX has been on my search bar on FB and CL for a couple months now. Probably a next year purchase.

Its been a while....

I've had a few rides on the KLX since it became 'mine' and made one other update to it. I fitted a longer Barrett muffler. Its the same as the 'KLX' one supplied, except for the length. Not only is it a bit quieter, but it also seems to have a bit more torque. The one I fitted I had in the shed and is nominally a DR650 one.

yCKmOeIUDaaF_p-SDuRg=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

gg5492Vg-E-5cQOIL0cA=w1016-h666-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I also reversed the 'noise' bung for a further small improvement.

7COIwzNQcq4gz5HVxIMg=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I went back to one stock spring in the rhs fork leg and both sides now have the minimum possible preload, 8 mm on the 0.46 in the left leg and 18 mm on the 10 mm stock spring. We think the stock spring is 0.38, but TBC, so maybe 0.42 average, and for me the springs are now 'right'.

I'm spoilt with good suspension on all my bikes, and have high standards accordingly because I can. A good mate of mine is one of Oz's top suspension guys, and Rick @ Cogent has helped me along the way too. His shock is excellent, as are the fork bits that he made for me.

7WFJcIxvFidV3V-i09oQ=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

m7rd4u1CMNDMg1NsY_Gg=w1366-h478-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

WkQYxZY7Ke7sZRKp8svg=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

2NIUrrQbEOgdQEJTdIdw=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

5xMa2_iUNEvGSKmKE1FA=w1366-h551-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

FZJ1hM7yA6AYn3zt4Zzw=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

8zUrdTvkkvjbuj_ISWKg=w1366-h452-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

WYBND7msUR1chJu_uQOg=w1366-h603-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

An excellent motorcycle and lightweight adv bike.

Last edited:
Its been a while....

I've had a few rides on the KLX since it became 'mine' and made one other update to it. I fitted a longer Barrett muffler. Its the same as the 'KLX' one supplied, except for the length. Not only is it a bit quieter, but it also seems to have a bit more torque. The one I fitted I had in the shed and is nominally a DR650 one.

yCKmOeIUDaaF_p-SDuRg=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

gg5492Vg-E-5cQOIL0cA=w1016-h666-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I also reversed the 'noise' bung for a further small improvement.

7COIwzNQcq4gz5HVxIMg=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I went back to one stock spring in the rhs fork leg and both sides now have the minimum possible preload, 8 mm on the 0.46 in the left leg and 18 mm on the 10 mm stock spring. We think the stock spring is 0.38, but TBC, so maybe 0.42 average, and for me the springs are now 'right'.

I'm spoilt with good suspension on all my bikes, and have high standards accordingly because I can. A good mate of mine is one of Oz's top suspension guys, and Rick @ Cogent has helped me along the way too. His shock is excellent, as are the fork bits that he made for me.

7WFJcIxvFidV3V-i09oQ=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

m7rd4u1CMNDMg1NsY_Gg=w1366-h478-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

WkQYxZY7Ke7sZRKp8svg=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

2NIUrrQbEOgdQEJTdIdw=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

5xMa2_iUNEvGSKmKE1FA=w1366-h551-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

FZJ1hM7yA6AYn3zt4Zzw=w1024-h768-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

8zUrdTvkkvjbuj_ISWKg=w1366-h452-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

WYBND7msUR1chJu_uQOg=w1366-h603-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

An excellent motorcycle and lightweight adv bike.
Are you not a dr650 legend?.. Chilling here with klx stuff...way cool. East coast howdy...yes 2 drzsm and other bikes the klx lineup has messed with me since 2006!!

Are you not a dr650 legend?.. Chilling here with klx stuff...way cool. East coast howdy...yes 2 drzsm and other bikes the klx lineup has messed with me since 2006!!
Still got a few DRs, but not riding much ATM after a bout of cancer, which is now behind me, so for something different I got a new shoulder a couple of weeks ago, with wrist surgery pending in June. Hopefully I can get back to 'normal' riding once again by Sep. My current project is building a DR/DRZSM hybrid scrambler to keep me amused in the shed, and reduce my stock of DR parts.

Still got a few DRs, but not riding much ATM after a bout of cancer, which is now behind me, so for something different I got a new shoulder a couple of weeks ago, with wrist surgery pending in June. Hopefully I can get back to 'normal' riding once again by Sep. My current project is building a DR/DRZSM hybrid scrambler to keep me amused in the shed, and reduce my stock of DR parts.
Hey best wishes on healing. And to see you here was a a highlight of my day! I think it is cool that the common option dualsport bikes are used and pushed. Take care from the Atlantic Coast. And more klx stuff is awesome! There is a few klx riders here. More than drz

Hey there BergDonk! I don't know how I missed this thread before.

I'm new to the scene and riding in general so unfortunately I don't recognize you from the old site but if Madmx says you're a legend I'm going to believe it. I'm DJ and from MI (in case that wasn't obvious enough :D) and it's nice to meet you. 👍

I bought a 2021 KLX300 in June of '21 and I really got lucky to have wound up with such an awesome bike.

I'm going to get caught up with this thread before I ramble too much more...

I've been riding and improving my bikes for over 50 years :hmmmmm

I tend to acquire one, then spend time and $s to make it mine. I have limited movement of my right elbow as a result of a road racing crash back in 1976 which has meant that I need to put effort into making the ergonomics and suspension work for me. I've also a rider trainer coach for MX, enduro, road and track. I love nothing more these days than getting outback and/or in the mountains for a few weeks on 2 wheels. To this end especially, my DR has evolved. Along the way, somehow I helped the development of the Jebtech DR fairing kits and the Nova DR gearboxes, so almost a factory test rider :rofl

65c8JomNkS3WtXuBBcgQ=w1516-h993-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

BergDonk, I've really enjoyed your story and you've posted some great information. Thank you. 👍

It's neat looking through all of your pictures and seeing how many parts have carried over to the newer bikes. I have the complete parts list for the '21 KLX300 and the '20 KLX250. They share about 70% of the 1,000 or so part numbers. A lot of catalogs don't list parts for the newer bikes but I use that xRef of the OE parts to help find aftermarket parts that fit.

So what's next for your KLX, BergDonk?

Day trips mostly, and here for visitors. Pretty happy with it as is now. Suspension is great, ergos suit me, runs well and is economical. Only thing I might think about down the track is a bigger front brake and a braided rear brake line, we'll see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh