What's new

KTM 350 - Gods Chariot Mega Thread

You cleared up in one post about 4 questions that I've been wading through forums/YouTube videos to try to get a solid answer on. Thank you.

Things like tuning suspension or flashing ecu's don't concern me too much. Knowing the the early bikes weren't down on power and the chassis is more spread out is a good deal. It does sound like an earlier model will be the ticket for me. I appreciate the help.

I feel like a semi close gearbox on a woods bike would be a good thing for a bike that doesn't have huge torque to lug through wider gear spreads. Not accusing the 350 of being torqueless, but I know it's going to feel soft coming off a 520. I am doing more open, fast turn course stuff these days. Think I'll steer away from the SXF's, but the XCF might not be a bad fit if a good deal pops up. Hmm...

Now I just need to learn to ignore all these sub-50hr, squeaky clean SXF's all around me for $4-5k 😁

Last edited:
You cleared up in one post about 4 questions that I've been wading through forums/YouTube videos to try to get a solid answer on. Thank you.

Things like tuning suspension or flashing ecu's don't concern me too much. Knowing the the early bikes weren't down on power and the chassis is more spread out is a good deal. It does sound like an earlier model will be the ticket for me. I appreciate the help.

I feel like a semi close gearbox on a woods bike would be a good thing for a bike that doesn't have huge torque to lug through wider gear spreads. Not accusing the 350 of being torqueless, but I know it's going to feel soft coming off a 520. I am doing more open, fast turn course stuff these days. Think I'll steer away from the SXF's, but the XCF might not be a bad fit if a good deal pops up. Hmm...

Now I just need to learn to ignore all these sub-50hr, squeaky clean SXF's all around me for $4-5k 😁
If you go XCF, choose the new style frame & Aer forks. That's 2016+ on XCF bikes. The 4CS forks in the earlier bikes was shiite.

Btw, the 350EXC-F & 350XCF-W have excellent woods ratios, and the engines are grunty.

They aren't wide ratio like the your 520.

The XCF shares the same engine as the SXF, so no grunt, easy to stall, but a ripping top end and overrev.

It's a fun bike, but it's a frustrating experience for most people in the gnar. Also, being higher strung, it requires more frequent rebuilds.

The enduro version really is God's Chariot. Honestly think you'll like it best - 350xcf-w or 350exc-f

***there was a 350xcf-w six-days version from 2014-2016. Nice bike, but it had the awful 4CS forks

It seems odd to me that the XCF with a higher compression ratio then XC-W is has the reputation of having less bottom end. You'd think higher compression would equate to more power without revs, but that's just my intuition. I don't know what other engine difference there are.

I'm not giving up the woods, but I am changing up some of my trails to be more flowy and I'm spending a lot more time on our open turn courses. I don't want to give up any power for that. Lots of 4th and 5th gear corners out there.

Kinda been leaning towards a XCF and adding a flywheel weight. But I'm also aware that I'm in uncharted waters and need to listen to those that have gone before me :)

Found some videos of various bikes running on the same dyno. It's shocking how down on power the EXC / XCW bikes are in stock trim. It also convinced me that a 350 is a better choice for me than a YZ250FX.

I do enjoy the simplicity of PDS. But I can't say I'm good enough to feel the difference between pds and linkage, so that's a "whatever" in my case.

Had the opportunity to sit on a '15 SXF today. Used one popped up at a local shop. I swear the seat-peg distance felt roomier than my RFS. I was worried it'd be the opposite.

It seems odd to me that the XCF with a higher compression ratio then XC-W is has the reputation of having less bottom end. You'd think higher compression would equate to more power without revs, but that's just my intuition. I don't know what other engine difference there are.

I'm not giving up the woods, but I am changing up some of my trails to be more flowy and I'm spending a lot more time on our open turn courses. I don't want to give up any power for that. Lots of 4th and 5th gear corners out there.

Kinda been leaning towards a XCF and adding a flywheel weight. But I'm also aware that I'm in uncharted waters and need to listen to those that have gone before me :)

Found some videos of various bikes running on the same dyno. It's shocking how down on power the EXC / XCW bikes are in stock trim. It also convinced me that a 350 is a better choice for me than a YZ250FX.

I do enjoy the simplicity of PDS. But I can't say I'm good enough to feel the difference between pds and linkage, so that's a "whatever" in my case.

Had the opportunity to sit on a '15 SXF today. Used one popped up at a local shop. I swear the seat-peg distance felt roomier than my RFS. I was worried it'd be the opposite.
I think the SXF have more aggressive cams. But I don’t know for sure.

So what you're saying is I should get a XCF and install EXC cams for maximum torques? 😁
I’d probably just buy whatever bike in the line up was most suitable for my needs. But if you want to de tune a XCF it shouldn’t be hard to find out what parts to change.

I'm just goofing. Not really in to detuning a bike to make it enjoyable, just sorting through the differences. The only thing I know for certain is SXF/XCF engines have more compression and the exhaust and mapping are good to go stock. EXC has lower compression, heavier flywheel and '16+ models are seriously choked up to the tube of about 15hp at the tire.

Adding flywheel weight to a XCF seems a simpler cure vs new exhaust and mapping to un-EPA an EXC. But again, I'm a noob round these parts.

Could always say eff it, go XCF for all the power and rock a cheater clutch for the woods. I'm not super picky. If a good deal on either crosses my path I'm sure I could suffer through enjoying either one.

So recently I learned of there being some years that had oil pump gear failures. From what I've learned it seems it's the 17 and newer models. Mine is a 2014 and I can't seem to find anything about that particular year. Should I assume all is well with that year. I did order a dirt tricks cam chain tensioner because, well, it seemed like a better idea. Some things about these KTMs have me shaking my head. Lol. Otherwise great bikes.

So recently I learned of there being some years that had oil pump gear failures. From what I've learned it seems it's the 17 and newer models. Mine is a 2014 and I can't seem to find anything about that particular year. Should I assume all is well with that year. I did order a dirt tricks cam chain tensioner because, well, it seemed like a better idea. Some things about these KTMs have me shaking my head. Lol. Otherwise great bikes.
Your 2014 is fine for oil pump gears. Cam chain tensioner not so much

As I'm in the process of updating some of the older bikes, I may have to press the ole 350 into adventure duties for a 3 day, 700 mile ride coming up this fall. Mostly forest service roads, some highway, all highway on the 150 mile return trip. Anyone here try 14-45 gearing for such a run? Normally I wouldn't use this bike for such things, but with supply chain being what it is, it may be ride this or not go.

As I'm in the process of updating some of the older bikes, I may have to press the ole 350 into adventure duties for a 3 day, 700 mile ride coming up this fall. Mostly forest service roads, some highway, all highway on the 150 mile return trip. Anyone here try 14-45 gearing for such a run? Normally I wouldn't use this bike for such things, but with supply chain being what it is, it may be ride this or not go.
I am running 14-48 on my 2012 for dual sport duty, and it is fine. 14-45 might be pushing it a bit. Did you try it out?

I am running 14-48 on my 2012 for dual sport duty, and it is fine. 14-45 might be pushing it a bit. Did you try it out?
I haven't yet, other projects have kept me busy away from it. From what I understand, that year 350 excf had that gearing stock. Currently running 14-50, I've considered 14-48 but didn't think it would be enough different. Also considered 15 front, but I don't believe there is enough room. Bike seems torquey enough to pull 45 rear. It may not wheely very easy, but should make 60 mph slab runs more relaxed.

I haven't yet, other projects have kept me busy away from it. From what I understand, that year 350 excf had that gearing stock. Currently running 14-50, I've considered 14-48 but didn't think it would be enough different. Also considered 15 front, but I don't believe there is enough room. Bike seems torquey enough to pull 45 rear. It may not wheely very easy, but should make 60 mph slab runs more relaxed.
I just looked at my owner's manual, and you are right. 14-45 was stock. Should be fine.

A 15 tooth front sprocket fits the 2012-2016 era 350exc-f

Finally got around to putting the 45 tooth rear sprocket on coupled with a 14 front. Must say it calms the revs right down at 60 mph as expected. Honestly it's not a bad gearing for general light duty dual sporting. Still has the grunt for 3rd gear roll on wheel popping. Of course wouldn't be my choice if any single track was involved but I believe it could be done if needed. For general use as the machine is intended I'll go back to 14-50. But it's nice to know if any long distance slab and general gravel work is the intended use of the day, this works quite well.

Top Bottom Back Refresh