What's new

KTM 350 - Gods Chariot Mega Thread

AGMoto

"~~~"
Member Number
seinfeld-fancy-boy.gif

Last edited:
We have a 2012 (mine) and a 2017 (hers) at home. Love em.

I got the 2012 in 2016 from an acquaintance that had it nicely farkled, EURO map on the ECU, desmogged, steering stabilizer, 5 gallon tank and second fuel pump assembly. Score. I used to alternate between the stock and large fuel tanks as seasons changed. Summer = dual sport mode. Winter = dirk bike mode. Its been a couple of years now that the 350 has become my dedicated dual sport, as I now have a dirt bike. The bike is over ten years old, and running strong.

Hers was lowered about 2 inches by a suspension guru in my local area. I went the JD tuner route, took the screen out of the end cap, removed the reeds, etc. Runs great. Added the G2 thottle tamer too.

Maintenance is easy peasy.

Here they are taking a break after riding through Titus Canyon.

IMG_0333.JPG

And this is near Sedona.

IMG_0574.JPG

Ride bikes!

Let's get some opinions and advice. Here's the info below.

2nd owner of a 2014 350 xcf-w
P.O. states it has the euro map
Has factory muffler with PMB end cap w/ ultra quiet tip.
No other engine or exhaust mods

Situations I have encountered
Snatchy throttle off idle make it less than ideal for slow speed drills

Runs poorly in the 9000'-10000' elevation range, seems fine above or below. Bike pops and backfired some in that range. At first I thought it was bad fuel but it would repeat itself.

I live about 800' elevation so the high elevation running is only once a year

So some options I am pondering are an aftermarket ECU flash or an EJK tuner. An expensive aftermarket ECU is not a consideration due strictly to cost. Or if someone has another idea I'm all ears. Also I might add this is my first FI bike, so perhaps the snatchy throttle issue is just the nature of the system. Not anywhere near as smooth as a carb.

Let's get some opinions and advice. Here's the info below.

2nd owner of a 2014 350 xcf-w
P.O. states it has the euro map
Has factory muffler with PMB end cap w/ ultra quiet tip.
No other engine or exhaust mods

Situations I have encountered
Snatchy throttle off idle make it less than ideal for slow speed drills

Runs poorly in the 9000'-10000' elevation range, seems fine above or below. Bike pops and backfired some in that range. At first I thought it was bad fuel but it would repeat itself.

I live about 800' elevation so the high elevation running is only once a year

So some options I am pondering are an aftermarket ECU flash or an EJK tuner. An expensive aftermarket ECU is not a consideration due strictly to cost. Or if someone has another idea I'm all ears. Also I might add this is my first FI bike, so perhaps the snatchy throttle issue is just the nature of the system. Not anywhere near as smooth as a carb.
Even a stock 350xcfw from that era is well fueled and a sweet runner. I was riding the exact same bike yesterday, on some very gnarly technical terrain.

Something is wrong with your bike. Check the usual stuff: leakdown, valves, fuel filters, etc.

Your era 350 was solid off the showroom floor

That I had planned to do, in fact it went on the lift today just for those very things. As well as a full chassis check over. Bike has 160 hours on it, so I'm not expecting to find much. But you never know.

All good info, I'll look into the filters, I did put a larger tank on and replaced the in tank filter at that time, also added a Golan inline filter after the the tank fitting. Not flashing any codes. What would a partially clogged injector symptoms be? I havent had that out. The bike had sat quite a bit prior to me purchasing it.

I feel I should clarify a bit. The bike runs amazing once past that directly off idle situation, and I only notice it while in the yard trying to do slow speed drills. Having never had FI before, it may just be me needing to adjust to it. The elevation issue, I'm less certain of. There was just a range where it acted strange. Which is why I'm asking the question here. Trying to further my knowledge and appreciate the responses.

In my circle of close riding friends we have a euro mapped 2014 350exc-f, (it was a bit snatchy off-idle before the euro map reflash) a 2014 350xcf-w with the stock map, and my old bike, a 2015 fe350s with the euro map.

All run just as sweetly as a well adjusted carb. We ride McNutt and Vedder Mountain, where there's plenty of first gear clutch slipping ledges, roots, and near vertical rock faces to grunt up.

Like this...
IMG-20220201-WA0006.jpg
20210320_224802.jpg
20211012_222023.jpg

Ya know I haven't verified idle, but that sounds like a good place to start and makes sense. Also thought about the tps sensor possibly being out of whack. I plan on checking that out as well to see if it's been messed with. I'll need to get a service manual for the MAP sensor, but that is also a good idea. Not sure, but to my recollection, in that elevation range it would seem as though it was lean and had possibly confused the ECU. This is all speculation on my part of course.

A little update as I got to do some maintenance today. Idle was set with tach to factory spec, ( it was a little high but not bad) tps was at .58, spec is .60, so adjusted to factory spec. I had to order a few more maintenance items so I was unable to ride today, but hopefully will be able to in the coming week. We'll see.

Last update. I was able to get out this morning to see if any of the prior adjustments made any difference, and I have to say no. But, I think what I am experiencing is the throttle cut and is something I must get used to as I don't have this experience with my carb bikes. It's an easy enough work around just need to modulate the clutch a bit more for my low speed, low throttle applications. As I don't know if a remap or a tuner would ease this situation, I don't see the cash investment worth it. Simply said, I just need more time on the bike and and to finally get my mind into this century.

Right now it has 13/50. I use that for my off-road gearing, and switch to 14/50 when I'll be doing dual sport trips. I used that combo in Colorado last year and it worked well.

In for 350 knowledge. Pretty sure this will be my next bike. Still learning the subtleties of the different models.

They are amazing, but I'm partial to the 2012-2016 350xcf-w. Good forks, good mapping, pds suspension
I rented a 2018 with turn signals. Hated it, It ran lean as heck and the suspension was very crude feeling. But I think it has potential I’d like to try the off road only Husky with linkage and de Jiggle poofed forks. Bet it’s pretty sweet.

I was under the impression the '16+ models were physically slimmer and the engines made more bottom end compared to previous years. Is that incorrect?

Also, the exc models are the EPA legal ones with the lean maps? If it's something fixable I don't mind tuning ecu's if there's actually performance to be gained with a later model bike. Flashing ecu's is just becoming a part of the game in recent years.

Several cheapish sxf models nearby. Not sure it's smart to try to convert a sxf to woods duty, but like I said, I'm still learning the in's and out's of these bikes. I appreciate any advice. Im not opposed to the older models at all. I'm quite happy with my RFS dinosaur. I'm sure any of the 350's is gonna be a world of improvement.

I was under the impression the '16+ models were physically slimmer and the engines made more bottom end compared to previous years. Is that incorrect?

Also, the exc models are the EPA legal ones with the lean maps? If it's something fixable I don't mind tuning ecu's if there's actually performance to be gained with a later model bike. Flashing ecu's is just becoming a part of the game in recent years.

Several cheapish sxf models nearby. Not sure it's smart to try to convert a sxf to woods duty, but like I said, I'm still learning the in's and out's of these bikes. I appreciate any advice. Im not opposed to the older models at all. I'm quite happy with my RFS dinosaur. I'm sure any of the 350's is gonna be a world of improvement.
The mapping on the 2012-2016 is better. With proper mapping the newer generation are no faster, no slower. Just a bit smaller and lighter.

An SXF is a different animal. Higher compression, easy to stall, ferocious top end. The XCF combines the motocross engine with softer suspension (think cross country race as opposed to enduro) and an 18" rear wheel. Gearbox is semi-close ratio. Not a woods bike, but an awesome desert bike.

In 2017 the enduro models went to SFF Xplor "jiggle-poof" forks. Initial harshness followed by blowing through the stroke. Not hard to fix, AGMoto can tell you how much it costs to sort it properly (basically convert it to the 2012-2016 WP o/c fork)

Bigger guys (over 6' tall) tend to prefer the older style. But ride them both and see what suits you best. These are solid bikes

Top Bottom Back Refresh