What's new

KTM Automatic Transmission for the 1290.

Amos Malone

Member Number
KTM seems to be working on automatic transmission for their 1290 bikes. Judging by the article it's a manual transmission with gear actuator coupled with ignition control. Centrifugal clutch. Not like the DCT in select Honda bikes.

Was reading this article post last night. Sounds like KTM is planning to add a centrifugal clutch and a dedicated Park position. An in-house version of a Rekluse clutch coupled with their preexisting up/down quickshifter should pretty much function just like an auto without taking away the foot lever and replacing it with an electric motor.

One on hand it sounds like s cheap attempt compared to Honda's well respected DCT, but it sounds like KTM's approach might have the ability to weigh considerably less. Will be interesting to see what happens next..

Was reading this article post last night. Sounds like KTM is planning to add a centrifugal clutch and a dedicated Park position. An in-house version of a Rekluse clutch coupled with their preexisting up/down quickshifter should pretty much function just like an auto without taking away the foot lever and replacing it with an electric motor.

One on hand it sounds like s cheap attempt compared to Honda's well respected DCT, but it sounds like KTM's approach might have the ability to weigh considerably less. Will be interesting to see what happens next..
Next? Anything that makes bikes easier to ride for the masses, as that could(will?) lead to increased sales.
Give it 20 years and the major difference between a motorcycle and a car is the colour scheme. :lol3

Common in cars now. 911TS... I'll let it make up its own mind what gear it wants.
I don't know why people automatically think Rekluse when someone mentions an automatic clutch. I thought Rekluse awful on my 790 and the EXP component is a horribly expensive consumable. I fitted an auto conversion from HMC Engineering - it's an AU company. It is a system designed for amputees and paraplegics. Same for my K1600GTL and 890. No left foot or hand lever, full auto or push button manual. I just leave them in auto. Better than endless shifts in traffic.

Last edited:
Next? Anything that makes bikes easier to ride for the masses, as that could(will?) lead to increased sales.
Give it 20 years and the major difference between a motorcycle and a car is the colour scheme. :lol3
I meant next at far as what we hear about KTM's attempts specifically.

I know what you mean, though. Funny seeing guys on forums get absolutely offended by some of the "antiquated" bikes out there.

"No CC, DCT, TCS, ABS, LC, WC, SC or riding modes? Bah! I am not a pleb!"

How did ever ride these things without dying before the acronym arrived to protect us?

Boss Hoss ADV edition 😂
A boss hoss got a away from a rider when I lived in Daytona. The bike with a stuck throttle and no rider caused a alot of damage and tried to climb a building. I want gears and manual clutch. But the the racers like glides.

And brinn or bert 2 speeds. The backwards clutch is pushed to get the car rolling in 1st then slammed into direct drive. The most efficient setup! Easy enough to replicate. Takes up no space. 40lb trans can handle 800hp.. bike version should weigh a few lbs.

This why I got a klr with efi and no abs. The casio style lcd is fine. None of that crap for me. I would just get a maxi scooter if shifting and clutch feathering is a problem.

A boss hoss got a away from a rider when I lived in Daytona. The bike with a stuck throttle and no rider caused a alot of damage and tried to climb a building. I want gears and manual clutch. But the the racers like glides.

And brinn or bert 2 speeds. The backwards clutch is pushed to get the car rolling in 1st then slammed into direct drive. The most efficient setup! Easy enough to replicate. Takes up no space. 40lb trans can handle 800hp.. bike version should weigh a few lbs.

This why I got a klr with efi and no abs. The casio style lcd is fine. None of that crap for me. I would just get a maxi scooter if shifting and clutch feathering is a problem.
LCD still feels ultra fancy to me. Most of my jalopies had broken clocks, so just having a functional fuel level gauge makes me feel like a baller 😁

Went to demo a FTR1200 once. Turned the key and stood there waiting on a loading screen. Ugh. Just felt bad. Handed the key back and went home.

LCD still feels ultra fancy to me. Most of my jalopies had broken clocks, so just having a functional fuel level gauge makes me feel like a baller 😁

Went to demo a FTR1200 once. Turned the key and stood there waiting on a loading screen. Ugh. Just felt bad. Handed the key back and went home.
Looks like 1980 casio technology. I kinda prefer true analog and I have rode aroound for 2 yrs with a new speedo cable on the shelf. I cant stand tft screens on bikes and never plan to buy one.

I cant stand tft screens on bikes and never plan to buy one.
Same. I get annoyed waiting on my smartphone to launch the part of the phone you need to dial a phone number 🙄

I'm not the TFT demographic for sho

Back
Top Bottom