What's new

KTM/Husky/GasGas Carbureted 2 Strokes

Uncle Taco at his finest
Screenshot_20221128-002642_Adblock Browser.jpg
Screenshot_20221128-002850_Adblock Browser.jpg

Stay in touch, their jetting needs didn't change much from year to year.

That NECJ needle is goldilocks, suggest you get a 38 and 40 pilot, and mains from 165-172. We'll get it sorted.

I always figured you'd like a 300 two-stroke, because it's so torquey. Like a 525 RFS without the weight
I appreciate the advice. I'm not sure I'll be selling the 520 anytime soon. The power of that thing makes everyone giggle that rides it. But if I find myself riding the 300 more I don't think I'll be surprised. I was really impressed with it in the first few minutes. The biggest issue with the RFS is trying to keep it cool in the woods. I find myself having to cut trails short so I can make a cool down lap out in an open field. For whatever reason, the 300 just doesn't seem to make the same amount of heat.

IMG_20221129_134921959.jpg

Acquired a little bag of gold, but the needle had to be ordered in. Most likely will be getting rained out of work tomorrow and I've been researching everything about the powervalve. Probably wise to verify everything in regards to the powervalve is properly adjusted before I chase my tail on jetting.

IMG_20221129_134921959.jpg

Acquired a little bag of gold, but the needle had to be ordered in. Most likely will be getting rained out of work tomorrow and I've been researching everything about the powervalve. Probably wise to verify everything in regards to the powervalve is properly adjusted before I chase my tail on jetting.
Verify it, but without question that jetting you had was way too lean.

Verify the Z dimension on your powervalve, make sure it moves easily, and isn't fouled with carbon. Might as well visually inspect the reeds as well.

You won't chase your tail jetting. What I've given you will get the bike running decently at your altitude during this time of year. 300 isn't too fussy, I usually just adjust the air screw seasonally. I don't change the jetting itself

Yeah, I trust your advice on the jetting. That's not really what I meant about chasing my tail. I'm just thinking that with my luck I'd be playing with the carb when ultimately the problem lies elsewhere. 😁

I noticed the preload screw for the powervalve spring protrudes from the case while others I've seen are recessed. It's likely to be out of whack.

Yeah, I trust your advice on the jetting. That's not really what I meant about chasing my tail. I'm just thinking that with my luck I'd be playing with the carb when ultimately the problem lies elsewhere. 😁

I noticed the preload screw for the powervalve spring protrudes from the case while others I've seen are recessed. It's likely to be out of whack.
Provided it's in spec on the power valve itself, that's more of a tuning/personal preference thing. Mine was protruding about 1.5mm when brand new, but it's now flush. Verify Z dimension, operation. Then it's trial and error ride, adjust, ride, adjust. Just like suspension clickers.

I believe that each 360° rotation of the PV dolly screw changes the start of the powervalve operation by 250 rpm (or thereabouts) so it's not a night and day thing. Does that make sense?

Provided it's in spec on the power valve itself, that's more of a tuning/personal preference thing. Mine was protruding about 1.5mm when brand new, but it's now flush. Verify Z dimension, operation. Then it's trial and error ride, adjust, ride, adjust. Just like suspension clickers.

I believe that each 360° rotation of the PV dolly screw changes the start of the powervalve operation by 250 rpm (or thereabouts) so it's not a night and day thing. Does that make sense?
That does make sense.

Everything checked out ok. Z dimension, exhaust flap/power valve timing, float height.

Only thing is everything I've seen says to expect the dolly screw to have a lot of pressure on it when your turn it, and mine does not. Judging by the size of the spring we're compressing I don't see why it would require a lot of pressure.

That does make sense.

Everything checked out ok. Z dimension, exhaust flap/power valve timing, float height.

Only thing is everything I've seen says to expect the dolly screw to have a lot of pressure on it when your turn it, and mine does not. Judging by the size of the spring we're compressing I don't see why it would require a lot of pressure.
Should have some, but nothing crazy

Snuck out for a quick test between rain showers. 38 pilot, 168 main. Air screw seemed happy at only 1 turn out. Preexisting needle. Much better!

The midrange right before the power valve opens is still a little rough, but nothing as choppy and sputtery as before. Definitely on the right path 👍

Thanks again for the advice!
Should have some, but nothing crazy
Mine turns with less tension than the shock compression clicker, for a point of reference. I don't think there's nothing wrong there.

Snuck out for a quick test between rain showers. 38 pilot, 168 main. Air screw seemed happy at only 1 turn out. Preexisting needle. Much better!

The midrange right before the power valve opens is still a little rough, but nothing as choppy and sputtery as before. Definitely on the right path 👍

Thanks again for the advice!

Mine turns with less tension than the shock compression clicker, for a point of reference. I don't think there's nothing wrong there.
If you take off the power valve cover, you can see it affect the push rod and power valve actuator when you adjust the dolly screw. That way you'll know everything is good. One man's hard is another man's easy. If that makes sense.

Rumor has it that you're stronger than most 💪

By the way, where is Greg? He can't still be on honeymoon for goodness sakes!

If you take off the power valve cover, you can see it affect the push rod and power valve actuator when you adjust the dolly screw. That way you'll know everything is good. One man's hard is another man's easy. If that makes sense.

Rumor has it that you're stronger than most 💪

By the way, where is Greg? He can't still be on honeymoon for goodness sakes!
Don't believe rumors!

I haven't seen Greg in ages, but we'll swap texts every now and again. He's still the same busy guy he's always been, but he's doing alright.

Bitingdog , I wanted to thank you again for helping me with my 300. I've not owned a 2 stroke since I was a teenager and knew nothing about anything ( not much has improved there, really) and just rode the things. I've heard the phrase, "there's nothing like a properly jetted 2 stroke", and now I get it. Not only does the bike start immediately when cold now, the overall characteristic of the engine really does change in a very surprising way. Not getting rid of my four stroke any time soon, but this smoker is way more enjoyable now. The 2nd gear roll-on-the-throttle-at-idle-rpm instawheelies are impressively smooth 🥰

I owe you one. I really appreciate the advice and your time. I'm sure you saved me countless rounds of chasing my tail. Thank you!

Last edited:
The rear brake on my '05 300 is really too strong. You're rolling or skidding, no modulation. All the components are on fine shape, so it reckon it's just the nature of the brake system. I love the rear brake on my 520. Quick eyeball looks like the only difference between the two brake systems is the rear caliper. I could swap that out, but I'd rather not.

Is there any good way do deaden a brake to make it less grabby?

Thought about grooving out some pad material, but not sure what effect it will really have. Might lessen the amount of available friction, or might make it even grabbier due to the same pressure being applied to a smaller area?

Whaddya think?

Top Bottom Back Refresh