What's new

KTM SMR 450 - Fun Commuter Times.

How annoying is kick start only for a commuter?

Screenshot_20220214-213708_Facebook.jpg

Buddy had one, tank range was laughable. Do you enjoy wrenching? Willing to do maintenance yourself? KTMs of this era were largely bulletproof for major problems but susceptible to small issues.

I've had a handful of supermotos, mostly DRZs and 690/701s.

Have you ridden supermotos? You'll either love them or hate them. For me, it was like black tar heroin. Nothing is more fun below 60mph.

Taco had one of those sitting around for several years and couldn't sell it. I believe it was a track only model around here. Cool looking bike, would make a nice mantel piece for the well healed moto guy.

Buddy had one, tank range was laughable. Do you enjoy wrenching? Willing to do maintenance yourself? KTMs of this era were largely bulletproof for major problems but susceptible to small issues.

I've had a handful of supermotos, mostly DRZs and 690/701s.

Have you ridden supermotos? You'll either love them or hate them. For me, it was like black tar heroin. Nothing is more fun below 60mph.

I can wrench, but hearing parts are rare for these.

Only a few mins on a supermoto, was enjoyable.

Taco had one of those sitting around for several years and couldn't sell it. I believe it was a track only model around here. Cool looking bike, would make a nice mantel piece for the well healed moto guy.

This is the track model that's been plated here.

Most parts easy to get still. I hear someone is machining new countershafts for these (which was discontinued a few years ago)

DJH still rebuilds RFS engines, so that's not a worry. Navin's buddy Dave has one converted to dirt duty. I'd suggest reaching out to him.

Cool bike, no question

Most parts easy to get still. I hear someone is machining new countershafts for these (which was discontinued a few years ago)

DJH still rebuilds RFS engines, so that's not a worry. Navin's buddy Dave has one converted to dirt duty. I'd suggest reaching out to him.

Cool bike, no question
DJH is local to me. Good times!

Anyone have a link to a good manual for these? I am not seeing any of the earlier SMR anywhere.

Thoughts on fair market price on these? Plated?

Got the last repair shops work order.

Screenshot_20220221-194143_Messenger.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220221-194143_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20220221-194143_Messenger.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20220221-194141_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20220221-194141_Messenger.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 22
Labor rate and time charged looks fair. Really comes down to how much you love it, and price.

How long ago was the top end refresh?

Well it followed me home. Pretty clean, steering stabilizer started to puke oil on my test ride, starts right up, shifts gears. Kickstand needs some love, its a trail tech and kinda sucks.

51900168823_2140878de4_b.jpg
Congratulations!

Service the steering stabilizer, should be okay. If it's a Scott's, you can ship it to them for overhaul. Apparently it's quite reasonable.

Kickstands aren't expensive, but they are fragile.

That's going to be a lot of fun this summer

Congratulations!

Service the steering stabilizer, should be okay. If it's a Scott's, you can ship it to them for overhaul. Apparently it's quite reasonable.

Kickstands aren't expensive, but they are fragile.

That's going to be a lot of fun this summer
I think I can fix the stand and try to rebuild the Scott's! We will see....

I'm stoked

Tucked in the garage next to Bertha.
51901458418_d8275f67d2_b.jpg

First order of business, clean up wiring and make turn signals on the front useful.... Ordered some stick on LED types that I will try to add to the handgaurds.
51901697534_274b7d552a_b.jpg

Some scribbling on the head....
51902016320_aaf9982959_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom