What's new

Land of Enchantment New Mexico

Yeah it looked like everything south of 76 I believe it was is open, north of that is where I dont think I was supposed to be lol if you want to meet up in that area some time I'd be down :ricky I still need to ride elephant rock and I want to ride the second half of section 7 of the NM BDR
I'm in Northern New Mexico. I was going to try and ride 31 mile, 144 to 99 to 100 but I had to go into work. Not sure what all is open. I can see the smoke coming off the fire in the Jemez and I also see the Sangre's from my house. I suck in the dirt but I still do it.

Weekly(ish) ride time, planning on something a bit more local to Albuquerque this time. Hitting Cedro Peak Tuesday (5/3) morning. Wont be running any crazy mileage or 10 hr days this time, just exploring the trail system there maybe a little street jaunt up to Sandia afterwards. I plan on keeping it big bike friendly, but MY idea of friendly does always seem to end up with tight single track lol.

If anyone wants to join in I'm more than happy to tailor the ride to the skill level.:ricky

I have no idea! First summer here, but if it is anything like cali It won't be. At least out here there are trees!

Up north there may not be any riding off road here soon. With the fires and the dry situations the forest are already closing. A couple of years ago it was September before a lot go the gates were unlocked. Really smokey up north here.

I have no idea! First summer here, but if it is anything like cali It won't be. At least out here there are trees!
Up north there may not be any riding off road here soon. With the fires and the dry situations the forest are already closing. A couple of years ago it was September before a lot go the gates were unlocked. Really smokey up north here.

Yup. get your high elevation/tree riding in now because its all going to be closed very soon.
Gonna be suffering in the desert or heading out of state to cool off.

20220503_062015.jpg

Today's sunrise west of Socorro on US-60
Smoke courtesy Bear Trap Fire San Mateo Mountains

nmfireinfo.com

Last edited:
Well Im glad I got one little ride in before they shut it all down, On the plus side Ive found that cedro is a fun spot on a big bike, if a little difficult on the single tracks :lol3If I ever lose a kickstand though its a great place to ride
It felt like the rocks on trail 13 never ended and I've discovered that I am horrible at step ups on the Versys. Time to get practicing :ricky
278396947_680248276574307_1232204803779037771_n.jpg
279062414_348958260444168_7055049078545276331_n.jpg
279437718_390689142925623_5720723849613452046_n.jpg

And maybe slightly masochistic, want to tag along next time I could use some one to peer pressure me up a few tough spots! :lol3

Haha yeah idk how the GS would fit down a few of those trails, One day I'll get around to getting something a bit smaller. Leaning towards the KLX300 but thats for the future, I am missing my old Husky TE510 right now though lol

Just as a heads up
as of tomorrow (May 19) Sandia Crest road is getting shut down, get your riding in today. Also all the dirt riding in the Cedro area has been shutdown since last week.

Just as a heads up
as of tomorrow (May 19) Sandia Crest road is getting shut down, get your riding in today. Also all the dirt riding in the Cedro area has been shutdown since last week.
Lot more than that.
ALL of the Cibola national forest
All of the Santa Fe National Forest
ALL of Carson National Forest

All 3 closed the F down as of 05/19/2022

I heard rumors of Lincoln NF going stage 3 as well but there is nothing on the .fed site about it yet.

Stay hydrated out there in the desert. Go get your sand riding skills dialed in this summer. That's all that's open. :(

Last edited:
From just reading, Lincoln and Gila NF are still open. But I wouldn't count on this being for much longer.

All right peeps I'm getting the itch for an obnoxiously long day lost in the saddle again, who wants to tag along for a NM BDR ride

PLAN:
Section 5 in reverse (starting at Grants headed S-SW)
depending on weather, riders, and bikes will mostly likely extend to section 4 to RTE60 maybe down to Reserve

DATE:
June 7 Tuesday (I'm planning on leaving Albuquerque 7AM ish)

SKILL:
I'm a reasonably average rider on the big bike
A newer rider on a dirtbike-average skill on a big bike would probably be best fit but all are welcome

If both sections are completed it'll be about a 210 mile day on the trail looks like a mix of fireroads and mountains streets primarily realistically I think it'll be more like 120-150ish actually completed

ETA of around 10:30-11 AM to reach Fence Lake from Grants

Then guessing another 4-5 hrs for Fence Lake ->Reserve :ricky

Back
Top Bottom