What's new

Let's talk mousse...

Here in the South we see Tweels on a lot of the hard core riding mowers

1660654074961.png

Here at MVI MOTO, were an Authorized dealer for Motoz Tires and such...

the MOTOZ Super Mousse is specifically formulated Made for MX, Enduro cross, Extreme Enduro and Hare Scrambles.

It is Not suitable for desert or long distance events.

A couple of other items to consider is Ambient temperature for riding with mousse is maximum 30 degrees Celsius.

Mousse life expectancy varies with application and use, but is generally between 6 months for average weekend use and 12 months for infrequent weekend use.

Just got back home from the MABDR... More to come on how the mousse worked...

But initial impressions are positive, and I definitely didn't follow directions.

Lyndon Poskitt mentioned somewhere that he'd installed a grease fitting in a rim and pumped some fresh lube in occasionally to extend the life of his mousse. I believe it was in a blog post. Might be worth a search or contacting him though his company.

Anyone here given that a try?
A couple of zerks on opposite sides of the rim and just letting the grease work it's way around the mousse inside the tire, what could possibly go wrong?

Not much input for street use as I run mine on dirt bikes that only see road use to connect trails, but I've been using the Nitros for years and they are holding up great. I still use the original set I bought back in 2017. They have gotten softer over that time but they still do the job. I started with mousses that were on the bigger side to start with though (like a 90/100-21 in a 80/100-21 tire).

I don't do any maintenance at all. Clean and regrease them when I replace tires is it, which happens 3-4 times a year depending on how much racing/riding I do. They usually have a little bit of greasy slime left.

Sometimes the rear bead doesn't want set, but meh, rim lock holds it on.

I have been wanting to try a plushie in a gummy type rear tire for the hard days.

Not much input for street use as I run mine on dirt bikes that only see road use to connect trails, but I've been using the Nitros for years and they are holding up great. I still use the original set I bought back in 2017. They have gotten softer over that time but they still do the job. I started with mousses that were on the bigger side to start with though (like a 90/100-21 in a 80/100-21 tire).

I don't do any maintenance at all. Clean and regrease them when I replace tires is it, which happens 3-4 times a year depending on how much racing/riding I do. They usually have a little bit of greasy slime left.
what speed is the road use for connecting, and how many miles for the life of the mousse

what speed is the road use for connecting, and how many miles for the life of the mousse

Road use is 40-50 mph at the most, usually in the 30-40 range.

No idea on mileage. My original set has to have thousands of racing miles plus connecting mileage doing enduros plus trail riding/trail work on my previous bike and current bike (they share wheels)

I went to mousses after getting like 6 rear flats in one day while doing trail work. I had tubliss at the time so just kept jamming worms in the tire and pumped it back up but it got old quick. I then had 2 races in a row with further rear flats (different tire, uhd tubes) that made up my mind. I was doing a lot of driving to go to races and wanted the peace of mind.

That kind of road work, lower speeds at 30-40 most of the time , is what I'd expected....good to know.

I have no mousse experience, so what comes of the lube over time? Is it absorbed by the tire and eventually evaporates?

Being a mousse noob, the best I can come up with is that some of the lube dries out, parts get stuck in nooks and crannies of the rim and a bit is absorbed by the moose :dunno

So, I still haven't gotten around to pulling the tires to check the mousse after the MABDR last month... Getting things together for a move.

But, tire (Tusk DSport) wear looks great for~2000 miles... Had lome long mostly pavement to get to the start (~350), then was ready to get home so some long pavement returning (~450). Kept road speeds down to 50-55.

PXL_20220902_171920763.jpg PXL_20220902_171914987.jpg

They don't feel any softer than when I started... May just wait to inspect/lube when it's time for new tires.

Top Bottom Back Refresh