What's new

Let's talk mousse...

Pdsmith505

Member Number
After my last big ride, It's time for a new set of knobbies on my KTM 690. Picking up a nail and going through the motions to get back on the road left me thinking about options that don't involve having to worry about tubes anymore though.

There's the tubliss system... But that doesn't fit the KTMs rear with a 2.5" rim and 140/80-18 tire.

There's also mousse.

Neither is really for on-road use, but I read about folks running both on the road. Just keep the pavement speed and miles down.

I've got a set of SUMO wheels and tires for when I'm not on an adventure, and I don't like the feel of knobbies above 60 mph anyways.

So, anyone care to share experiences with mousse on an Enduro for long distance adventure riding? I'm about 75% convinced about going that route, but want to ask other folks what they think first.

I don't have any experience or knowledge but I'm also interested to hear from anyone who does.

So, almost two weeks out without reply, I went ahead and decided to test it out. I've got a set of Tusk D-Sports and matching NitroMousse inserts on the way.
Also planning on giving it a go on the setup for the MABDR from 12-20 August.

Fortune favors the bold, yeah?

I love a good mousse!
1658587472565.png

So, almost two weeks out without reply, I went ahead and decided to test it out. I've got a set of Tusk D-Sports and matching NitroMousse inserts on the way.

All the best wishes with your first hand research on this, i have not a single clue what will or might be the out come but look forward to reading your findings.

I have no first hand experience but I hear sustained road speeds will break them down. I know people who will use them for one or two dirtbike races and then throw them away. I also know people who will run a set for an entire year without an issue.

That’s an awesome trip you have planned. I’m interested to hear how it works out for you!

Air is so last years fashion i realize that much but its like everywhere and i have over the years grown fond of it and not sure the whole world would be the same without it.
Go with air its so liberating, heck even a puncture is a positive in that you are then sharing some of your hitherto penned air with others.:lol2

Last edited:
I have no first hand experience but I hear sustained road speeds will break them down. I know people who will use them for one or two dirtbike races and then throw them away. I also know people who will run a set for an entire year without an issue.
And that's the thing...

I've been able to scrounge up at least one online account of lubing the mousse every 3000 km (2000 miles-ish) or so and running them for a few sets of tires: https://therollinghobo.com/2019/11/mousses-on-expeditions.html . Biggest no-no is doing too much highway too fast.

But I've also seen the opposite like you described... only getting at set of tires out of them.

I suppose either way it'll at least last for a MABDR and I can ditch the tube and air pump.

Ok, if you came out of the rally world you'd know all about mousse's. Plenty of Dakar stories of racers cooking theirs from going too fast and the mousses not holding up.

My 525 was built for the '08 Dakar and since it was cancelled it was never raced. When I got it I got all of the Michelin Deserts and mousses came with the bike. I've been running them ever since. One thing about them is when they get old they go soft. The last set I put in many years later made the tires look like they only had about 5 lbs of air in them. Pretty funny and I can spin the back tire on the rim without much effort. They lasted fine with mixed usage but virtually no highway time. The next set of tires will be getting tubes.

As was stated most people say to stay off the highway but if you think about racing Dakar those boys are running over the ton for plenty of distance but then again they get new ones every day or maybe a couple of days for privateers.

Michelin were always the top choice for mousses but I have read more recently there are new players in the game making them to be more applicable for wider usage such as dual sports with significant road time. If I had plenty of cash I'd give it a go but right now it's not an option.

I too am interested to see how they work for you and interested to see how the Nitro's are.

Last edited:
Heat and friction will eventually kill the mousse but unless you ride crazy speeds you should get thousands of kilometers out of a set.

In the front, even a really really worn out mousse can get you home. The ride gets squirmy but you'll still be moving.

A worn out rear mousse can be a problem because at some stage the tire starts to spin on the rim. Adding another rim lock helps.

If you know you will be riding long distances on the road, it is worth balancing the wheels. They might not stay perfectly balanced because the mousse doesn't wear evenly but at least balancing the rim lock(s) will reduce some stress the mousse gets on the road.

For a "belt and suspenders" kinda solution for the front a Tubliss combined with a carved mousse is another option. But it's more suitable for slower stuff.

Lyndon Poskitt mentioned somewhere that he'd installed a grease fitting in a rim and pumped some fresh lube in occasionally to extend the life of his mousse. I believe it was in a blog post. Might be worth a search or contacting him though his company.

Some dude from Yinzerville has been asking for many years, why the mousse people don’t run grease fittings.

Another thing to be aware of is parking the bike. It is best to park it in a way that both wheels are off the ground or there will be flat spots that need to be worked out.

Flat spots won't be a problem... If I'm not on an adventure ride, she's wearing her fancy street shoes.

Got the front wheel done this morning. Wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

PXL_20220730_130511482.jpg

PXL_20220730_133704777.jpg

PXL_20220730_143309266.jpg

Got the rear one on as well... A bit more work cause it was harder to keep the tire dropped into the center, but I fuckin' got it.

As a side note, I switched to 130/90-18 (from 140/80-18) on the rear since that's what Neutech listed for Tusk DSport on a 2.5" rim

Last edited:
I gave up on the Tubliss system... It works pretty good on the rear tires, but the front rim is just too narrow. Once you get the tubliss system installed, there isn't enough room left to really get the tire bead down into the drop center, which makes it a real struggle to get the tire onto the rim without damaging the high pressure tube.

Kinda sad about it, because my wife is really fussy about tire pressure. I don't care so much myself... I'm fine with 15-18 PSI in my tires, but she really likes to run 12 PSI or less, which leads to pinch flats.

Especially if you come off a trail and forget to air back up before hitting slab on a 100 degree day. Don't ask how I know this... :rofl

Back
Top Bottom