What's new

Long Distance riders

I would rather spend all day to go 400 miles on back roads than all day to go 1000 miles on the interstate.
Back in my corporate world days when my time off was limited to 5-6 weeks a year, I did most of my long distance riding going to and returning from rallies. It was cathartic in so many ways and I loved the challenge, my longest day in the saddle was 830 miles with the ride day ending due to more to safety factors, not fatigue.

Like a few here have posted, I've dallied with the notion of applying for and riding a BB but never got around to it mostly because I left the corporate world when I bought a small construction company where it wasn't easy to get away for long trips. I used to attend 1 to 2 rallies a year but in the 8 years I've owned the business I managed to attend only 2. That's changing now that I've sold the business and only have to support the new owner in a part time way.

To the folks who've done the BB Gold or the Iron Butt Rally, I commend you. To me, you're the motorcycling equivalent of a marathon runner. You have to train and maintain a high level of mental and physical acuity far above that of what, 99.9999% of the motorcycling community? And then you have a lot of luck with your bike and hope Bambi or Bullwinkle doesn't attempt to detour your day.

At this point in my life I'll be the guy doing 400-500 mile days knowing a hot shower and a bourbon on the rocks is awaiting me when I arrive at day's end. I'll be smelling the roses, stopping and taking photos, and generally enjoying my passion.

Y'all ride safe now, ya hear!

The older I get the less interested in riding big miles in a day but I do understand the LD thing even if it's not for me. I have a goal of riding all 50 states. I have 8 to go. Both LD riding and wanting to ride all 50 states are about wanting to achieve a goal. There is a satisfaction that comes from doing something that is difficult.

If there was a device that counted curves I could see trying to ride 5,000 curves in a day or something like that :ricky :ricky :ricky

I use to ride big miles .
IMG_2672.jpeg
That’s just crazy! 👍🏻👍🏻

Rode an SS1000 based out of Denver in August of 2014. Had been riding two and a half years on the Concours 14 by then and long days were already a thing for me. The route was all within the state of Colorado and did include a stretch of I-70. Starting at 2am, it would be 20 degrees near the Gunnison area, I was anxious for sunrise as I didn't bring the electric jacket liner. Finally warmed up at a fuel stop in Durango at about 9:30am. Sun was out and I knew the roads. Good riding. After the finish, I still had 95 miles to get to the house. Glad I did it.

Traded the Concours for my AT and have only ridden a handful of days over 500 miles.

Top Bottom Back Refresh