What's new

Long Distance riders

Let’s kick this off with one of the most difficult cert’s to earn.

6FD9DF4C-D685-4212-9DA1-EE32AE49212D.jpeg

Let’s kick this off with one of the most difficult cert’s to earn.

6FD9DF4C-D685-4212-9DA1-EE32AE49212D.jpeg
There's got to be some stories here ... So, this is riding a sub-300cc scooter 1000 miles in 24hrs? (Yep, I'm pretty ignorant about these long distance challenges.)

There's got to be some stories here ... So, this is riding a sub-300cc scooter 1000 miles in 24hrs? (Yep, I'm pretty ignorant about these long distance challenges.)
You hit it on the head. I rode a Kymco Like 150i “just” over 1000mi in 23h and ~50min. The bike is gear limited to 62mph so it was a challenge. And before peep’s get in a bunch, the sticker is on my Vespa, not the Like. The Like has moved to a new home.

That's an awesome ride on a 150cc scooter! I've got a Buddy 150cc by the Genuine Scooter Co. Fun ride but never tried to go much more than maybe 25 miles from home with it.
I will ride full sized (?) motorcycles fairly long distances sometimes though.
I've got my SS1000 cert that I earned riding the LOE rally in New Mexico. And I've ridden a couple of other rallies over the years but nothing in several years now. LD Riding is a great sport and I have learned a lot about riding longer distances safely just by being a lurker around the IB Rally discussions.

Quite a number of years ago there was an older gentleman who travelled all over the US on a 50CC motorbike and he showed up at the TOR in Paonia CO one year..
Talk about epic :bow He was retired and had all the time in the world traveling the backroads of the USA...

It’s pretty obvious I have a defective gene for this LD riding thing. Now that the SS1k is out of the way. I’m working on an aux fuel system for the new to me Vespa GT200. This will double my fuel load and should easily make 350mi or more between stops.
I hope, just enough to bag a BBG!

3B07795F-9F54-4E7A-9E9B-BA581520DCCD.jpeg

Finally got most of the bugs out of the bike and fuel system.
Speedo drive gear seized in the never before serviced front hub. So that too awhile to get parts and rebuild. Then the aux tank was over flowing from either pressure in the lower tank or back pulse from the fuel pump. Both tanks T together at the pump inlet. So I added a check valve to the aux and it seems to be functioning with an empty main. Next to see if I can run both tanks on and empty the aux before the main empties. All while doing a mileage run to see want my actual range is at highway speed.

To each their own. While I have done enough 1000 mile days in the past, I never felt the urge to get a plaque to commemorate the events. That is me however, as I don't care about awards and such.... Yes I am weird... :lol3
I've done many of those. Never bothered to submit nothing.

I have no interest in doing long distance riding myself but I think I can understand why someone would. I can appreciate the effort it takes to do it safely. I especially appreciate it when someone does it on a really small bike like a 150. It shows how capable a small bike can be. I have given some thought to doing the scooter cannonball but the words of Dirty Harry remind me that: "A man's got to know his limitations"!

A few years ago I read an interesting ride report on ADVr by a guy who ride form the Florida Keys to Niagara Falls, 1500 miles in less than 36 hours on a 200cc scooter. In case anyone is interested: https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/1500-mile-bun-burner-on-a-burgman-200.1336142/

If anyone here does a ride report on a long distance ride I would be interested in reading it.

I’ve done thousand plus days over the years. These days, it usually no more than 500.

With the Road King, it’s easy and fun just roll on down the road while the world unfolds before me. That’s what tends to have me rack up some miles on a given day.

Long days of sunlight + pleasant weather = Long rides.

All my silly long days were usually because of poor weather and/or worse planning

......didn't really want to pull 1600 miles in one day, but had to work Monday and woke up 4 states away on Sunday:lol3

Of course one of the longest (mentally) days was a simple 360 mile run between Phoenix and Las Cruces......in a heatwave, it was 108 degrees at 7:30am and my ex couldn't be bothered with helmets, or protection from the heat. So every stop was an hour affair, gas, like a liter of gatorade...a couple heat stress events. Yeah that one sucked.

Back
Top Bottom