What's new

Los Mochis or Mazatlán?

random1781

ADV+
Member Number
Okay let's kick this off.

We're in Baja and will be ferrying over and eventually heading to Mexico City. Why spend 12 hours in a ferry when you could do 6 and use the other 6 to ride, right?

So, is there any interesting dirt or offbeat in between?

Reactions: MVI
Well, Ferry to Mazatlan. Go to Durango (mx) through Espinazo. Night there.

Mossy over the Central Plateau, San Luis de Potosi

Slide down Mexico City.

Got the Guia Rojis on paper?

That and google maps will give you the idea of what fun can you get on the smaller roads.

If you want dirt, weather permitting , it would be Topolobampo for me. Then up through the copper canyon.
We have a deadline in Mexico City mid-march that we need to hit...visiting a friend there, so not going to make Copper Canyon sadly.

Well, Ferry to Mazatlan. Go to Durango (mx) through Espinazo. Night there.

Mossy over the Central Plateau, San Luis de Potosi

Slide down Mexico City.

Got the Guia Rojis on paper?

That and google maps will give you the idea of what fun can you get on the smaller roads.
No paper maps of mainland yet, but I need to grab some. I appreciate the other suggestions, looking into those. We'll be making a stop in Aguascalienes and staying at Amigomoto for a bit too.

Mid March?
you have time to ride the canyons and be in Guatemala by then!
Kidding….
Depending on ferry schedules though you might not lose more then a day.
The night you get off the ferry spend in Topolobampo
The next night Batopilies.
The next night Parral

Mid March?
you have time to ride the canyons and be in Guatemala by then!
Kidding….
Depending on ferry schedules though you might not lose more then a day.
The night you get off the ferry spend in Topolobampo
The next night Batopilies.
The next night Parral
We might circle back up after Mexico City! After that the only other deadline we have is our visa expiring in June, and we plan to use it up here. We travel slow though, usually under 200 km a day.

Very nice pace, I wish I had your mind set. I enjoy my time in Mexico, but in much shorter more intense bursts.
I tend to separate motorcyclists who ride in Mexico into two camps.
Riders who like to travel
and
Travelers who like to ride motorcycles.
I feel like I am in the first group, but would like to be in the second.

Very nice pace, I wish I had your mind set. I enjoy my time in Mexico, but in much shorter more intense bursts.
I tend to separate motorcyclists who ride in Mexico into two camps.
Riders who like to travel
and
Travelers who like to ride motorcycles.
I feel like I am in the first group, but would like to be in the second.
Im in the second group.

Driving 1000mi RT to do 2 days of riding in Big Bend NP this weekend.

We made the mistake of doing a 3 month trip a few years ago while still shelling out for an unoccupied apartment. Even without a specific timeline it was still stressful knowing that we had to eventually get back.

We fixed that this time around! But even now it feels like we're still going too fast.

On that note we're in La Paz and boarding the ferry tomorrow. Wound up picking Mazatlan instead actually, partially because I want to reduce the miles on my bike until I get it sorted out and partially because we wanted to take it even slower on the road.

If you are heading towards Durango and have the time, and are interested in a little local history, stop in El Salto. As you go through the town, there is a restaurant with a large steam locomotive in front. When a couple of us were there in November, we were told by a family member that they have more then that one locomotive and are happy to show the others to folks.
Being type one riders we were in too much of a hurry to take them up on the offer, but since you are a type two rider, it might be something you would enjoy.

Real Del Bosque is what shows up on Google earth.
unless there is a second restaurant in town with a locomotive in the parking lot.
they also have a descent motel on site.

Back
Top Bottom