What's new

Material for mock up handlebars.

woods

Yawp.
Mod
ADV+
Member Number
Looking to switch up the bars on my C90T. The stock "beach" bars have this long, 14" pull back and inwards bend. Having a hard time transferring the dimensions I read to bars online to see how they fit onto the bike. Or just the opposite, bend up the material to what I want, and bring those dimensions online to see what will work.

I know I'm overlooking some material out there, but I need like 5' of 1" thick material that I can bend and manipulate with my hands to "mount" to the bike to see what fits. Like a really thin pool tube noodle with a few coiled up coat hangers in the center.

What do you think would work?

Looking to switch up the bars on my C90T. The stock "beach" bars have this long, 14" pull back and inwards bend. Having a hard time transferring the dimensions I read to bars online to see how they fit onto the bike. Or just the opposite, bend up the material to what I want, and bring those dimensions online to see what will work.

I know I'm overlooking some material out there, but I need like 5' of 1" thick material that I can bend and manipulate with my hands to "mount" to the bike to see what fits. Like a really thin pool tube noodle with a few coiled up coat hangers in the center.

What do you think would work?
Something strong enough to lever the front wheel side to side or make some shims for any 7/8 bar lying around to get an idea. I liked the dirt track bends or some of the stock harley bars from various models. The beach bar bend was good and bad. The mini ape with proper angle looks so wrong but allows for alot of arm strength. Basically chest height with a natural fist punching angle. I rode ever 2007 HD model at my old job. And the bars were a big part of my favorite model picks.

Something strong enough to lever the front wheel side to side or make some shims for any 7/8 bar lying around to get an idea.
I just need something to bend up and put in place of the bars. Complete mock up and non usable. I'd use PlayDo if that would work.

Ya that is tough. Conduit should work just enough for mock up. I would think something strong enough to move the bike around a little.

Thinkin' on your 'pool noodle' idea... what about starting with pipe insulation? Stuffing it with playdo is the next problem.

Something like this could be handy if you could find the right size. Should be pretty cheap if you can find some in a toy aisle.

Wonder if some coat hangers fished inside a garden hose would be flexible enough for mockup?
Screenshot_20240225-114930.png

Welp, I'm here with a roll of bailing wire. Made myself a jumble of a mess trying to mock up some bars.

Landed on these:
;lkgh;fgdhl;gfdhd.png

Along with a set of 2" Rox Risers.

No idea how well its going to work. I ran the numbers forty times and ran out of steam trying to figure out how these are going to line up. They don't work, guess I'll return them.

The stock bars are these big swoopy things. But they pull inward so much it bothers my wrists. Those Khrome Werks ones above say 28º and the stocks are almost 50.

See what happens I guess.

Hear you... the XS400 albatross I adopted has a set of annoyingly narrow and angled mini-apes to go with the supple forks. The fix for these bikes seems to be suzi Marauder forks which fit well and are certainly plenty bigger and stiffer but I don't have a candidate for bars or controls yet, plus I get the fun of adapting the brakes etc. OEM controls are just as annoying as the bar.

I spent good money on beater ebay bars looking for alternatives on my real bike, it ended up easier to move the controls inwards and get a better orientation in the bar clamps.

Building Street fighter / wheelie bikes out of sports bikes top tree clamp fiting and bar choice are a factor and you can have to look at the construction of the tree for if and where you can drill for clamps or type reach back of raised clamps and the bars themselves which e usually renthals.
To establish the above criteria, i use 22MM UPVC Pipe which bends well and keeps its shape with nothing more than packing with sand glue on caps and warm the pipe with an electric hear/ paint stripper gun, you can with care heat bend and re heat again and again.
The Turning steering head / body position relativity is important for tight u turns and this highlights any raised clamp or reach back clamp issues you might encounter, say leaning forward too much on lock a common problem on sports bike to fighter builds turn the wheel its self as obviously the upvc pipe is not stout enough.

Probably late to the game, but what about corrugated flexible gas line (the kind used to hook up your kitchen stove)? It seems to hold it's shape pretty well.....

Probably late to the game, but what about corrugated flexible gas line (the kind used to hook up your kitchen stove)? It seems to hold it's shape pretty well.....
Eh, I'm dialing it in right now. The 2" RoxRisers are too short, need more rise so I ordered a set of 4" last night. The bars are a bit more forward, but not sure how the risers will combat that. I ordering off Amazon, wrapping all contact points in plastic wrap to prevent any scratches in case I need to return. May just end up playing this game for a little bit.

Top Bottom Back Refresh