What's new

Maybe Driving 101?

They have those here in Vegas. Try one at night with a bunch of people who have never seen one. It’s a nightmare. I avoid them while on motorbikes.
Didn't think about the night aspect, and I can see how it could get crazy. I guess you just avoid going to those areas at night until the diverging diamond has been there 10 years or so, that way the locals will have (hopefully) learned how to use it at all hours. Maybe.

In Spring of 2012, I remember when a traffic pattern off I-5 & Mercer St in Seattle was changed. It was pure pandemonium for the regulars. As for myself, simply following the paint and reading the signs got me to where I needed to be. Signs and following the paint work wonders. It's some kind of super power or something.

This triple roundabout is in Napa, CA. While the design may improve traffic flow, I've found it to be visually confusing.

5e3315a71d52c.image.jpg

This triple roundabout is in Napa, CA. While the design may improve traffic flow, I've found it to be visually confusing.

5e3315a71d52c.image.jpg
There is one similar to that off I-81 in Wilkes-Barre/Pittston/Scranton, PA. An aerial view makes it seem like it'll be a PITA. It's actually much easier, even in a tractor-trailer, to navigate. It's somewhat slow going in morning rush hour but moves much better than dealing with a set of traffic lights.

Triple Roundabout.jpg

When I was a driving instructor, the most problematic ones were the adults who decided to go get their license but had to do a set amount of instruction beforehand. The adults who are the absolute worst are the ones from India, Nigeria, and China. The language barrier was the least of my concerns and having a right-hand side brake pedal was sometimes not enough ease my nerves.

With teenagers who supposedly have all these anxiety issues. It didn't take long to understand where they're getting their issues from. It was sometimes a mix of both parents. It was mostly the overbearing helicopter mother. Doing some talking with the kid during the lesson usually eased them up. Once they eased up, it opened them to listening to what I was trying to convey. Once it clicked in their mind, the lesson(s) became so much better.

There were times I wanted to tell certain students they aren't cut out for driving. Management told me I can't say that. I asked, "why?" Their answer had something to do with making money. Well, some people are better off relying on public transportation, rideshare, or friends and family! Most defensive driving companies' main priority is to make money. They genuinely don't care about what they're putting out there. The one I worked for is like a license mill so they can get a cut from State Farm Insurance for each student whose parents sign up. I left due to the obvious it was more like a license mill and they weren't interested in actually teaching people valuable REAL WORLD driving skills. With the immigrants who were having an extreme difficulty assimilating to the road customs in America, the company is only interested in pushing lessons on them in order to make more money.

Trucking schools have been facing immense pressure to pass through incompetent drivers who fit a certain demographic. I'd hate to be an idealistic instructor at any of these trucking schools. It has to be maddening. It's all fun and games until one of those fools kills somebody or some people and the school where they did their CDL "schooling" gets looked at. Schools like those get shut down all the time.

I can’t believe how many kids now a days don’t even want to get their driver’s license as soon as they can.

I’m sure like everyone else here I got mine immediately. And at that point it was just a formality since I’d been sneaking the cars out for a few years already. One time i snuck my sister’s car out right when she locked herself in the bathroom to get ready which would usually take her forever. I was gone too long and she called my mom at work and told her someone had stolen her car…. Oops! :lol2

I didn't get my license until I was 17 and almost done with senior year of high school. I was content with walking, jogging, sprinting, or riding my mountain bike all over the place. The peer pressure was heavy but I refused to cave in. I got mine because the air force recruiter was nagging me. I inquired about a simple ID card. He nixed that idea. The other recruiters also told me I would need a drivers license.

My grandson has had a license now for over a year and still has his grandmother take him to appointments because he's too nervous to drive himself or follow gps directions, could care less if he went anywhere, let alone drive himself. I received my license four weeks shy of my 16th birthday, motorcycle endorsement several months after that. Growing up in a very rural farming community it was a ticket to freedom. I don't see drivers being any worse now than years past, my heads on a swivel when out on the bike, I don't trust anyone to pay complete attention all the time.

I have never seen a DDI but it looks like a good idea. I like traffic circles and the ones I have seen work pretty well. The best thing they could do to improve traffic flow is to require people to actually know how to drive.
Sorry, but IMHO and with all due respect, your suggestion is the second best thing to improve driving. The best thing they could do would be to design cars to block cell phone signals in the car while it is in motion........

^ :nod But OMG!, then they can't check their "status"on their stupid anti-social media accounts....:lol3

I found that when I was running fishing charters, parents were either cool or helicopter types. Often enough the home schooled kids were the best, as they took instruction very well. The kids from heli-parents were much better when the parents weren't present. Often enough my mind dwelled on leaving a few of them stranded in the Everglades for a bit....:lol2

Top Bottom Back Refresh