What's new

Milling & Machining

Carrying a chainsaw makes sense for trail maintenance, farm & ranch chores, etc. I'd consider adding an open bottom, plastic sheath to that cool carrier.

Last edited:
So I jokingly mentioned that I had some titanium lying around and could just make our wedding rings, and she actually liked the idea so.......now I have one good ring cut :lol3

Running a 6flute Lakeshore Carbide cutter for the roughing and cleaning up with a noname 1/8 4flute ballnose. Other than it loading up a little during the helical ramp in it cut beautifully. Made a little plug out of aluminum to keep from crushing it in the vice and then just cut some easy softjaws for op 2. The worst part of the job ended up being a blessing in disguise, I ran the very cheap edgefinder into the top of the stock :baldy and trashed that. So ordered a Mitutoyo edgefinder and Tormach touch probe to replace it. That Mitutoyo is so much nicer! Touch probe I'll find out about in a few more days.

And the most important person really likes her ring, now off to see what colors I can turn that extra one I don't like. :super

nc_ohc=8iQf2hLE1IEAX8SgE5R&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.jpg
YVwoYsmBG3b2R_pScNS3OwvqbYQ&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=gz2arbucemAAX9r50QA&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.jpg
nc_ohc=zxxjk7pjgjQAX9EA95r&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.jpg
Nicely done.

Cutting off a titanium ring can be difficult.

Carrying a chainsaw makes sense for trail maintenance, farm & ranch chores, etc. I'd consider adding an open bottom, plastic sheath to that cool carrier.
I've though about it too, and it really couldn't hurt anything to add it. It'd be more to protect the saw than me, to be honest. Chains and bars are pretty easily damaged, but theyy also consumables and pretty cheap. As Mad Max as it looks, there's really not much chance in hurting yourself with it mounted. Even the hot saw muffler is in the mount in such a way that you couldn't fall on it if you crashed, the bar would most likely just get managed in an crash.

Last edited:
Just for the sake of conversation, just wondering why you're mounting a chainsaw to your motorcycle? Danny Trejo had a minigun on his one time.. so there is precedent.

But digging the fork clamps tho 👍

A boring head will help with the finish in the bore.. a thick piece like that is basically slab milling- in such a case the bigger the diameter the cutter the better.
We live on a 100 acre piece of property. I rarely ride my dirt bike anywhere else. I'm constantly cutting new trails and pre existing trails require constant maintenance. When all my current trails are open and in good condition you can ride a continuous loop that takes about 60 min depending on your skill level or weather. Our forests are mostly hardwoods which are famous for having brittle limbs and our clay soil prevents roots from reaching deep. Every time it rains or the wind blows, I'm out clearing trails. I have fun doing it, but carrying the saw on foot and hoofing it around the property...I'm too lazy for that 😁

Probably posted these somewhere in the thread before they were finished. Extra large bar end weights for my DesertX, slotted to allow Bark Busters to sit flush in them. My buddy finally got enough guns in the que to fire up his bluing tanks this week and ran these through for me, the salts he's using produce more black vs blue but I still dig the look.
IMG_8442.jpg

Some guys in the club use the fork mounted saw racks, I just couldn’t adjust my riding to the weight of the saw up there.
I switched to a backpack that works well, but does take two people to be efficient.
The bonus is that I can switch between the trials bike and trail bike depending on conditions.

So I need a little ring holder idea to mill for my desk at work. I do a lot of varied jobs and don't want to wear the wedding ring when I am doing more manual labor. Any ideas? Looking for something sleekish that I can show off my machining a little with.

So I need a little ring holder idea to mill for my desk at work. I do a lot of varied jobs and don't want to wear the wedding ring when I am doing more manual labor. Any ideas? Looking for something sleekish that I can show off my machining a little with.
If you really want to show off, machining a copy of your left hand comes to mind.

an Elephant ring will keep the mill busy for a while

1713486989963.png

Top Bottom Back Refresh