What's new

Milling & Machining

I assume it is adjustable for various diameters
Yessir. 16"-21" as it sits. Slot adjustments to account for different diameters and and widths.

IMG_20230604_003256935.jpg

Dangit son, that's fancy 😎
A little RTV to seal the mating surface should bring it back to an upper class redneck level :kumbayalol I did deliberately leavethe inlet hole un machined as I wasn't sure what the most practical size was at the time. That will get drilled and tapped by hand to 1/2NPT for the coolant pump

For now I'll probably just mix up the amazon coolant and call it a day. In the mister it doesn't smell too bad so hopefully it'll be bearable lol

In the next week or two I should have the pump and fittings coming in as well as the aircylinder for the power drawbar. Then I just need to figure out how to wire it up so I can control the pump with G code. Its coming together!

Get a small RO set up to filter your water. Without it your coolant will keep getting harder as you add to it. Eventually you will have rust issues even with a 10% mix.

Mist coolant will kill you. Flood is the only way. They sell Trim coolants on Amazon, they are pretty reasonable for good coolant. I think I'm running the 585xt.

I hadn't even thought of that, looks like I can get them for reasonably cheap. That's just used for the water added to the existing coolant right? not used in line to filter the coolant being run.

Yeah mist was a help versus dry and just not knowing anything, but I am ready to have flood coolant that just turns on and off as programmed. No more fiddling with the air and coolant knobs on the mister to try and get enough coolant without completely fogging out the garage lol

I hadn't even thought of that, looks like I can get them for reasonably cheap. That's just used for the water added to the existing coolant right? not used in line to filter the coolant being run.

Yeah mist was a help versus dry and just not knowing anything, but I am ready to have flood coolant that just turns on and off as programmed. No more fiddling with the air and coolant knobs on the mister to try and get enough coolant without completely fogging out the garage lol
Use it any time you mix coolant. First fill especially.

I actually just finished watching the NY CNC video on it. That should be a breeze to seTup for it! Its all starting to come together! Even got a request for some adjustable daytona 675 rearsets

I run cutting oil flood so no problems with mist or rust but it does fling a lot- OTOH if inside a cnc that'd be different. You haven't lived until the flood makes it to the spinning chuck and lays a racing stripe of coolant and chips right up your chest and even inside the safety glasses :clap

I run cutting oil flood so no problems with mist or rust but it does fling a lot- OTOH if inside a cnc that'd be different. You haven't lived until the flood makes it to the spinning chuck and lays a racing stripe of coolant and chips right up your chest and even inside the safety glasses :clap
Cutting oil just sounds messy for a home shop, I used some old way oil to tap some holes and it got on damn near everything in the garage :lol3

Tap magic is fine for milling and turning- works well, but is expensive in quantity.. I like how it smells 👍

Cutting oil does tend to be messy, its very helpful so one learns quickly how to manage it lol. Judicious application from an oil can is effective- just enough in the right place.

Anchor Lube is good too but very messy since it doesnt run off like oil. Its great if you have to apply it to the tool eg hand tapping.

I used flood, but it'd often create a mist as chips around the tool would froth it up. I kept some air moving in the bay to keep from gagging on coolant and Simple Green hanging in the air. I also used the controller's chip breaking cycles to avoid wadding chips up on the tool, but only when no one else was around. They "didn't trust the machine" to break chips, whatever that meant.

psykown - If you're only mixing a few gallons of coolant occasionally, you could use distilled water from the Piggly Wiggly until your filtration system is ready.
Wait, simple green? That has no place near the inside of a mill. I won't even let the guys at work use it on the outsides. Way to much risk of fucking up the coolant.

Gross.. cleaning the oil soaked chips from the lathe is annoying. I have the pan angled so the bulk of the oil drains off but the chips are always a tangled wet mess. Bronze and cast iron are pretty annoying even though cut dry. I'm still recovering from a job in 660. I don't like blowing the machines clear with compressed air but there wasn't much of a choice this time. At least the chips aren't abrasive dust like cast is.

That sounds like an awful setup- all the dirt and dust too... 🤮 Man I dislike stupid ideas which have the forcw of law.

Each of my machines drain the tables or pans into dedicated covered sumps with a pump on a timer that circulates all the.sumps thru a filter once a week. I lose some coolant with the wet chips but I only clean them.out after theyve drained overnight. Otoh its just a garage shop so no shifts coming in to F everything up.

Top Bottom Back Refresh