What's new

Milling & Machining

I went with a cheap Harbor Freight set but I've replaced the ones I break with higher quality pieces. I don't use them often but when needed I've got them.

I'm not a fan of arguments like, "I don't use them a lot so I want cheap ones." One broken tap in an expensive, fragile part or in a hard to reach spot will teach you how false that notion is. A lot of cheap taps are carbon steel. Those are brittle and pretty much guaranteed to snap. At the very least buy HSS taps. If you mostly work on metric then you'll be miles ahead to buy individual high quality taps & dies because a set will be full of sizes you'll never use. Metric has done a much better job at standardizing than imperial. The overwhelming majority of metric threads are coarse, unlike imperial where fine, extra fine, and coarse threads are used willy nilly. So if you're mostly working on metric bikes and cars buy good quality course individual taps and dies in M4, M5, M6, and M8. Maybe M10 too. That will cover 95% or more of what you'll encounter. You'll occasionally run into fine metric threads, but those are rare enough that you can buy an individual tap or die when the situation arises. McMaster Carr is a good source of quality taps & dies.

I helped design and manufacture the equipment for solar production, retired nearly 4 years now.
E581AACF-5319-47BA-AAF4-C966E2D5F536.jpeg

And I thought they were sparky for a pumpkin 🎃 :fpalm

Adding a Scott's damper to my 890 causes a problem with the gas cap in that you need to remove the key so the cap swings out of the way.
You then need to reinsert the key to close the cap.
AdvRonski on the other forum figured out you could remove some material from the latch pawl so you could push the cap closed without the key.
My son has a Sherline mini mill that was perfect for the job.

Gascap_3.jpg Gascap_2.jpg Gascap_1.jpg Gascap_5.jpg

Were gonna need a full report on that little Sherline please

In for knowledge. I recently bought a mill for a project bike I'm starting ( needs custom yokes) and lathe skills aren't transferring over at all 😁 I'm very comfortable on the lathe and making chips with the mill feels like I'm starting all over again.

But it's also dirt bike riding time, so I don't foresee much playing in the shop until winter rolls back around.

I need their Plasma table first....

I don't know how much I can tell you. It was my first time using it and it works just like any other manual mill, just smaller!
My son got 2 axis DRO's with it, but I didn't need it for this little project.
You can buy them with full CNC add-ons too.
One of my son's hobbies is 3d printing of movie props (ridiculous oversized firearms) and uses the mill for different cutting operations
It is a nice machine though. Sherline is geared towards serious miniature model makers and hobbyists.

Sheline is actually based about 5 miles from my home, right in the middle of what was once Carlsbad Raceway.
They have a very cool miniature craftsmanship museum next door, well worth a visit if anyone is interested in highly detailed models and engines.

Sherline

Craftsmanship Museum
thank you for the update and report.

Looking at their offerings I though it was geared for models, and light machining..

I need ( or I think I need ) something more substancial...

Top Bottom Back Refresh