What's new

Milling & Machining

MVI

MVI MOTO
Mod
Vendor
ADV+
Member Number
Lets talk Milling & Machining - Discuss Tips & Tricks and Showcase parts you made

ScreenHunter_3200 May. 13 09.42.jpg

If you don't have a decent base set of knowledge, TC9-524 (attached) is a great resource to begin from, it is more or less an abridged version of the machinery handbook in simple and easy to use terms. No G-code stuff, all manual which covers theory of operation for many shop tools, feeds and speeds, materials, cutters and types and all that jazz.

Attachments

• tc9_524.pdf
    6.7 MB · Views: 49
I approve of this thread.

Also, I popped the cherry on the mill tonight and took the first chips! :clap

ER32 collets in an MT2 mill.

It ain’t perfect as the stack likely allows for some runout, but it ain’t bad. I’ll measure it tomorrow.

It also eats out a chunk of the already limited height I have. I may build a new baseplate to increase that in the future.

But it works! And it will do 99% of the work I need a mill for, without taking up much valuable floor space!

I’m thrilled to finally have it running! :clap

Now what to make!!:hmmmmm

5F3E037B-CDB9-487D-A3A2-33F7D5EC1DBB.jpeg

Last edited:
Make more tooling!

I've got an early green HF 7x10 and their TINY 47158 micro-mill/drill. I'm between shop spaces right now so at least they're convenient to store. These have been useful for bushings, sleeves and bearing cups that I've used for some wheel and fork swaps, but capacity is very limited.
I'd love to get larger machines and make some good stuff someday soon.

That is a lot of vice jaws!!
I some how volunteered to make all the parts so some guys could build their own. Thinking it would be like 5-10 no big deal. 30 some odd later they are still looking for more lol. They are patient, so it all works out. Only get the weekends to work on it. Real life is always so busy.

Pile o chips from the first batch. Not bad on a manual machine.
9674CB24-9C02-4846-B723-A7842ABF3B12.jpeg

One guy wanted three :beer

6610FF2A-E6FC-464B-A585-8864DAF14A6C.jpeg

Last edited:
I some how volunteered to make all the parts so some guys could build their own. Thinking it would be like 5-10 no big deal. 30 some odd later they are still looking for more lol. They are patient, so it all works out. Only get the weekends to work on it. Real life is always so busy.

Pile o chips from the first batch. Not bad on a manual machine.
9674CB24-9C02-4846-B723-A7842ABF3B12.jpeg

One guy wanted three :beer

6610FF2A-E6FC-464B-A585-8864DAF14A6C.jpeg
Oh wow! I thought you were just making jaws! You're making an entire "weld it yourself" vice!! :clap
Very impressive! :beer

Thin film solar production, my job sucked :ilmostro
Long ago I had to reinforce the ovens at Aerotec so that they could put pressure to them to aid in the bagging suck down. They ended up looking like those only steel.

Long ago I had to reinforce the ovens at Aerotec so that they could put pressure to them to aid in the bagging suck down. They ended up looking like those only steel.
The majority of ours were aluminum, we had two large chambers that were all stainless steel, easier clean up and quicker to pump down. When ethanol plants started multiplying the cost of stainless doubled so we transitioned to aluminum.

Back
Top Bottom