What's new

Most fuel efficient commuter bike?

It pains me to say it but motorcycles/scooters are not a money saving device.

I have to talk averages and your uses might not be average. Adapt the numbers to your use.

The average person drives 12,000mi/yr. Let’s say they drive a mid size car that gets 30mpg. That works out to 400 gallons of fuel per year. At $3/gal, that is $1200/yr. Adjust as needed for the per gallon price. A dollar increase/decrease per gal is $400.

If the person already has a bike and wants an additional bike that gets better milage. It would take a huge amount of riding to make up the difference in purchasing the bike.

Buy a bike because you want it and want to have fun on it.

I have to talk averages and your uses might not be average. Adapt the numbers to your use.

The average person drives 12,000mi/yr. Let’s say they drive a mid size car that gets 30mpg. That works out to 400 gallons of fuel per year. At $3/gal, that is $1200/yr. Adjust as needed for the per gallon price. A dollar increase/decrease per gal is $400.

If the person already has a bike and wants an additional bike that gets better milage. It would take a huge amount of riding to make up the difference in purchasing the bike.

If a person lives in a year round riding area like I used to. And they only have a cheap bike/ scooter no car. I think the savings on fuel, purchase cost, maintenance and insurance are significant.

I have a garage full of bikes, none of which average more than 50mpg. I'd like to change that at some point and a Honda NC700/750 will be high on my list. At 6'-5" and around 250 pounds, most small bikes just aren't an option for me although the Honda CRF300L Rally could be an option.

Have to agree with this. We make all sorts of wild leaps of logic to rationalize another moto but the numbers don't add up if it's savings we're after.

If a person lives in a year round riding area like I used to. And they only have a cheap bike/ scooter no car. I think the savings on fuel, purchase cost, maintenance and insurance are significant.
Insurance is definitely a cost here but there are also practical considerations that a car brings which will be hard to duplicate on any moto.

Groceries, buying stuff that doesn't fit in a backpack, bad weather days, taking your doggo to the vet, picking up or driving a friend/family somewhere.

FWIW, I choose to commute on a good ole push bike like you do. Sometimes I'll just run or skate to work also. ~6 miles.

A moto can save a loooot of time on a commute. A boat too, depends where you live :ricky
1647271617263.png

I have a garage full of bikes, none of which average more than 50mpg. I'd like to change that at some point and a Honda NC700/750 will be high on my list. At 6'-5" and around 250 pounds, most small bikes just aren't an option for me although the Honda CRF300L Rally could be an option.
sucks, doesn't it. WR250R was the closest contender for me.

Yup. Even better if the area has good public transportation.

Yeah. It would be for me too if I hadn't just had my 60th birthday. At this point in my life I prefer low end grunt over high end hp.
On that note, I just bought a Dyna Fat Bob. There's your low end and a bike that fits you (us). :D

Some smaller bikes get high mpg and the number of people transported per mile (or kilometer) per gallon of gas is huge.

Attachments

• 0C696A19-696F-4CCF-AE0F-A62AB1DE6D6C.jpeg
    0C696A19-696F-4CCF-AE0F-A62AB1DE6D6C.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Was definitely (and kind of am still) considering a Grom because it's small enough that it won't injure me if I screw up again, but still barely fast enough to do 55mph all the way to work. As listed above though, that ~$2500 buys a lot of gas. Other idea is fixing and riding the '75 CB200 sitting in my dad's connex. That oughtta get me some decent miles and smiles per gallon.

(this one isn't mine but i figured a picture had better go with it)
Capture.JPG

Scooters are probably as close as it gets for ease and efficiency if your environment supports that. Things get complicated when you factor in maintenance, tires, insurance, gear, etc. When purchasing a bike, getting 40 mpg+ was a requirement for me just for the principle of the matter regardless of facts! I wanted something to fool myself that it was more economical to operate! I like bikes, they're fun, I don't save money that way though.:photog

Weather is another factor. Here in the PNW it sucks when it's 37*F, raining, road mist, dark, and the usual distracted cage drivers. I think I'd rather deal with the freezing dry cold than that. I will say that when the season allowed for better commuting conditions (3000 miles for that period in my case) it actually kept those miles off of my 20-year-old Toyota truck. Twenty years X 3000 miles is 60,000 miles that didn't get put on the truck, so there's that. I love that old Tacoma! Have you priced a new one lately?!:freaky

Back
Top Bottom