What's new

Most fuel efficient commuter bike?

klaviator

Scooter Trash
Member Number
With the rise in gas prices fuel efficiency is becoming more important to most of us. My main source of around town transportation is my Kymco Like 150i. I normally get around 70 MPG although I have found that when ridden slow enough I can get around 100MPG. I can't safely ride that slow around here so I get 70 MPG and occasionally 80. That's riding mostly at speed of 45 to 55 MPH. Sometimes I think about getting a more fuel efficient small bike. There are some small scooters like the Honda PCX that are known to be able to get 100+MPG. The small mini motos like the Grom and Super Cub get even better mileage but they are not nearly as practical as a commuter bike for me due to lack of storage. I like to be able to stash my helmet and riding gear under the seat & in the tail box and walk away. I can also pick up quite a bit of groceries and haul them home. Still, the idea of getting 130 or so MPG is tempting.

So, for those of you who commute on your bikes, what kind of bike, how many MPG's and at what speeds?

Are any of you considering getting a more fuel efficient commuter bike?

That would be a terrible commuter bike for me. I want something small and lightweight. The NC700 would be good for someone who has a long distance commute.
Well, that leaves a unicorn search then. None of the little shifter bikes have any semblance of storage, stock. So, your back to a scooter, time for a GTS

Last edited:
My winter commuter. It will go pretty far on a cheeseburger :imaposer
DC6076D5-4005-4927-A4E7-44D02B94BF60.jpeg

Does the math really work to spend $4k on a scooter to save money on gas when you're already getting 70 MPG?
The Like, while a great scoot, really is limited on 55mph roads. It’ll poke along in the slow lane well enough to get by. But the whole time your running WOT with no overhead. Let’s not even talk about adding hills and head winds.

PS, in The south, 55 generally means “keep it under 70”

For me my Super Tenere is the most fuel efficient vehicle in the house. I wish I lived close enough to work to commute on foot but that's not the case.

That would be a terrible commuter bike for me. I want something small and lightweight. The NC700 would be good for someone who has a long distance commute.
Funny thing about those bikes is trying to get a good grasp of what they're really like. Yeah, it's certainly a full sized bike. Some guys claim they can eek 90mpg from them, others says they struggle to maintain 45mph uphill carrying anything.

It's probably the most fuel efficient full size bike you can find, but if you dont want full size I guess scooters are the only option?

Funny thing about those bikes is trying to get a good grasp of what they're really like. Yeah, it's certainly a full sized bike. Some guys claim they can eek 90mpg from them, others says they struggle to maintain 45mph uphill carrying anything.

It's probably the most fuel efficient full size bike you can find, but if you dont want full size I guess scooters are the only option?
There are other options. Some of the mini motos like the Grom and Super Cub can get well over 100MPG. My KLX250 gets about the same mileage as my Like 150i but it isn't nearly as good of a commuter and I rarely ever use it for that.

I didn't think that about a KLX. Then again, my old XR 400 used to 65mpg on soft knobs and it was screaming it's head off at anything over 50mph. It's pretty amazing the fuel mileage a normal dirt bike can be capable of.

Next bike on the list is a 250. Its the only thing I don't have in the garage.

That's a good question. No the math doesn't really work but it is an excuse to buy another bike!
As a guy who was up to 9 at one point and has a KLX300 on order, I'm in no position to tell you not to buy another bike. But the math almost NEVER works to buy another vehicle to save gas.

As a guy who was up to 9 at one point and has a KLX300 on order, I'm in no position to tell you not to buy another bike. But the math almost NEVER works to buy another vehicle to save gas.
I have owned as many as 7 bikes but that was back when I had more garage space. Right now I have 4 bikes which is about ideal but I could squeeze one more into the garage. Al of my current bikes are reasonably fuel efficient but I just like the idea if having something that can get 100+ MPG. However it would also need to be fun and practical or I wouldn't ride it much.

Same for trucks. Gas prices spiking and people try to dump their giant trucks for a fuel efficient car, but the math never works.

Retired Late last year after 40+ years of commuting daily most days on a motorcycle.
My Commute was 30/ 33 miles each way and a mixture of C & B roads and fast A roads depending on my chosen route.
It was possible to use any size bike, as quiet and rural there is no need to keep up with highway speeds or anything like that.
There is much more to a commuter bike than the pure MPG aspect and maintenance plays a part , and four strokes though economical on fuel have valve adjustments and oil changes to take into account as well as the chain and sprocket adjustments and replacement . And of the many bikes i have used if i were to pick one for MPG and Low maintenance i think it has to be between two bikes both Yamahas and both 80CC and there is really not much in it.
These bikes are the yamaha YG1F 80cc Two stroke and The yamaha T80 townmate.
Both are capable of 100mpg and both are low maintenance, The YG1F being a disk valve two stroke and having a full drive chain guard this helped with chain life and being a two stroke no engine adjustments, the townmate being a four stroke had oil changes and routine engine maintenance, but the strong reliable Japanese Shaft drive was virtually maintenance free.
I think i would chose the Yg1f , its reliable autolube system eliminated the pre mix routine of some two strokes and i prefered the ride of the small motorcycle rather than the step through townmate, but in truth there is not a lot of difference in these two bikes.

Back
Top Bottom