What's new

Moto campground south east US

GMK999

Member Number
I would like to spend a week in April with my son 15 at a Moto campground somewhere that the weather will be warm enough to tent and the riding will be enjoyable for c-b woods riders.Some challenging, some easy cuz the old guy (me) gets tired
Thinking the Carolinas or maybe Tennessee?
Hopefully 12-14 hours drive from Ct ( don't wast to leave the bikes in the truck overnight at a hotel)
Never having been out of New England for these trips, any and all info is welcome
Tips , tricks , favorites, things to stay clear of, registrations , insurances...
Thanks IA, G.

I checked Busco Beach NC is 600 miles to Connecticut state line. It can still get cold here. We have had 80° lately but no telling for April.

I checked Busco Beach NC is 600 miles to Connecticut state line. It can still get cold here. We have had 80° lately but no telling for April.
That is an Ideal distance Anything above 30* at night is fine with us.. Just looking for no frozen ground and decent trails

I think that would be rare for April. This year has been odd though. We are at 50° now and feels cold. Ha I lived in Ohio before here. If you want video footage of Busco Beach check out mini mayhem videos on youtube. Plus I bet there is a bunch of sxs or atv videos. And the Busco website. Maybe check Goldsboro NC weather averages to get an idea. I have never been to Busco but locals go there. Its about 2 1/2 hrs away.

We used to ride from this place
Also twowheelsof suches, see klaviator above. We were plated but would have gone out to gravel stuff without. Easy stuff but we never got around to a full inventory.

WX in spring is and always has been a crapshoot

WV Hatfield Mccoy is the closest. And just like the south...who knows about weather. But the riding is epic from all accounts.. I know after a hard winter I rode around at 37° and it felt like 70°

What about 2 possible destinations and let the weather decide. If its nice hit up WV and enjoy the saved travel time.

Last edited:
I should mention that I've stayed in 2 campgrounds near Ashland, 1 in Gilbert, 1 halfway between Gilbert and Matewan, and cabins near all of the various trails in the HMT system. These aren't beautiful State/National/COE type campgrounds - they're places to stay to access the trail system. Bring food with you because groceries and restaurants can be few and far between (Gilbert and Man, WV are your best bets for restaurants and groceries).

I should mention that I've stayed in 2 campgrounds near Ashland, 1 in Gilbert, 1 halfway between Gilbert and Matewan, and cabins near all of the various trails in the HMT system. These aren't beautiful State/National/COE type campgrounds - they're places to stay to access the trail system. Bring food with you because groceries and restaurants can be few and far between (Gilbert and Man, WV are your best bets for restaurants and groceries).
I have never ridden there. But construction distracted me and to get back to I77 I found myself in someplace I wanted to stay.

Another option is the Allegheny on the way to WV on the way south.

Heck this actually sounds fun. A driver and a navigator on an epic adventure for nice weather.

You might check into Loretta Lynn's down in Tennessee

They have a lot of motorcycle events and trail rides. Camping and lodging are very nice. They used to have open days where you could just come a ride on your own. Not sure about the drive down.
Other areas in Tennesse:
Windrock - https://windrockpark.com/trails
Ride Royal Blue - https://rideroyalblue.com/
Lots of SxS here and some of it can be pretty rough

In eastern Kentucky there are a lot of ORV parks created from reclaimed strip mines. Some of them are nice but again, lots of SxS
Black Mountain is one of the nicer ones: https://www.blackmountainoffroad.com/

I ride a lot in the Daniel Boone National Forest here in Kentucky. Mostly primitive camping and small towns. I ride mostly the London district around Mckee KY. Also some in the Red Bird district.

If your interested in coming here send me a PM and I can give you more detailed info

Back
Top Bottom