What's new

Moto vans and campers

Yinzer Moto

Member Number
How do you transport your bike? What unique things did you do in your build, that you rarely see others doing?

We did an awning on the side, that covers the sliding door. Many awnings do not fully cover the side door on these big vans.

557F4F0F-1035-4F69-A560-FAEF0864EF1D.jpeg

How do you transport your bike? What unique things did you do in your build, that you rarely see others doing?

We did an awning on the side, that covers the sliding door. Many awnings do not fully cover the side door on these big vans.

557F4F0F-1035-4F69-A560-FAEF0864EF1D.jpeg
What brand awning was that again? An awning could be on the list for me this year, we did a trip up the coast last fall and a week of rain is shitty with only the 10X10 easy up.

What brand awning was that again? An awning could be on the list for me this year, we did a trip up the coast last fall and a week of rain is shitty with only the 10X10 easy up.

It is a Dometic, it seemed to be the best bet for bolting through the side of the van. If you are mounting to a roof rack, there are other awnings you can check out.

It is a Dometic, it seemed to be the best bet for bolting through the side of the van. If you are mounting to a roof rack, there are other awnings you can check out.
I'll be bolting to a roof rack for sure, trying to decide if its worth me building a platform on top as well. No need for solar set up yet as we don't spend that much time in it but it might be fun to have the top platform...

I'll be bolting to a roof rack for sure, trying to decide if its worth me building a platform on top as well. No need for solar set up yet as we don't spend that much time in it but it might be fun to have the top platform...

Thule and many others make awnings that can bolt to a rack. I chose the Dometic because it did not need legs. I see a lot of people who build root top decks on their vans, I don’t have a lot of interest in hanging out on top of the van.

Thule and many others make awnings that can bolt to a rack. I chose the Dometic because it did not need legs. I see a lot of people who build root top decks on their vans, I don’t have a lot of interest in hanging out on top of the van.
I wouldn’t expect to hang out on the roof much either but often enough if you are a bit higher you’ll be able to enjoy the sun morning sun a bit earlier with your cup of Java….same principle for sunset with a beer….:beer I was thinking the platform might be handy for throwing bicycles up there as well since the are a pain to put inside the van.

I wouldn’t expect to hang out on the roof much either but often enough if you are a bit higher you’ll be able to enjoy the sun morning sun a bit earlier with your cup of Java….same principle for sunset with a beer….:beer I was thinking the platform might be handy for throwing bicycles up there as well since the are a pain to put inside the van.
Might not have to worry about it at all in BC but if I put a bicycle on top of my nine foot tall van I'd be sure to hit something. :D

Even with just the roof racks up on top of my seven foot high van I’m always looking up….

I drove into a drive through yesterday, in my work van. I know it is 6’8”. The drive through had the PVC pipe hanging on chains, marked at 6’10”, that thing hit the roof, hard. Then I was through, second guessing the maintenance guys ability to measure the height of the concrete structure ahead of me. So I had to back out, with that pipe banging down my roof again.

I drove into a drive through yesterday, in my work van. I know it is 6’8”. The drive through had the PVC pipe hanging on chains, marked at 6’10”, that thing hit the roof, hard. Then I was through, second guessing the maintenance guys ability to measure the height of the concrete structure ahead of me. So I had to back out, with that pipe banging down my roof again.
I’ve driven into an underground parking lot and broken the forks clean off the bike on the roof of my car because I wasn’t paying attention….now I ALWAYS pay attention. :hair

I’ve driven into an underground parking lot and broken the forks clean off the bike on the roof of my car because I wasn’t paying attention….now I ALWAYS pay attention. :hair

Back in the day, there was a magnet you could place on the hood, it had a flap that was held down by wind, as you slowed, a sign would pop up saying “Bikes!”, the thought was it would pop up as you were pulling in a garage or drive through. I measured my vans and printed a label with the height, stuck to the dashboard.

Back in the day, there was a magnet you could place on the hood, it had a flap that was held down by wind, as you slowed, a sign would pop up saying “Bikes!”, the thought was it would pop up as you were pulling in a garage or drive through. I measured my vans and printed a label with the height, stuck to the dashboard.
I’m still emotionally scarred from the bike incident no signs necessary…. So there I was driving around Quebec city for the first time on a vacation and I realized I had just passed the garage for where I was staying the night. Not wanting to drive around the block, I actually backed up through traffic, right beside a full city bus, and then thinking I’m so smart turned nto the garage and then the big expensive sound of my bike braking and the headset bearings all landing on the roof of the car! I’m sure everyone on that bus was thinking ‘stupid english’…. :(

The rules look to be “unique , rarely seen”

A few here. Some with photos. Some simply described.

My T1n ten passenger sprinter had about 70k on the clock when we got it. About 8 hours interstate going home on a very windy day induced buyer’s remorse, to put it mildly. Koni adjustables all round, monster rear aftermarket rear axle roll bar, aftermarket front strut camber shims, Timbren elastomer rear axle bits. Seriously considered for sick grins going to a local autocross event.

The vortex generators are good for about 5% mpg. And They make a vast improvement in cross wind and fast passing big truck buffeting. Over 100k mi they have been on and off. Zero doubt. Google Air Tab for excellent info. Canadian outfit selling mostly to otr freight companies. Base level research done
45961009-F8A9-47D0-B4A5-3CE725FB758B.jpeg
by NACA in 1930s. I actually did my own because I do shit like that. You WILL hear “snake oil” from the cocktail party congenital intuitive aero engineers. Coast down testing. Log books.

Build out requirements. Must be able to function as steel tent. Must be able to go back to ten passenger airport shuttle, tour bus when the young folks arrive from UK and or NZ.

All furniture is J bolted to seat mounts. With a helper and two hours a complete change out is possible.

Pillion bed across in back rests on window sills. Set up 4 minutes.

The ARB refer/freezer is brilliant.

989C4706-AF19-4751-9974-80C4EA50336B.jpeg
79DA81E0-3399-4CDA-8E46-683743501B31.jpeg

Attachments

• C987BC02-0D7E-49E3-BD8D-E349DE0CAD95.jpeg
    C987BC02-0D7E-49E3-BD8D-E349DE0CAD95.jpeg
    905.5 KB · Views: 28
  • F7EFCF7E-4304-4F6F-B446-1568AA78F037.jpeg
    F7EFCF7E-4304-4F6F-B446-1568AA78F037.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 1346F3DF-CA12-41CD-ACF6-E9CB91E7AE59.jpeg
    1346F3DF-CA12-41CD-ACF6-E9CB91E7AE59.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 3439B836-8265-4DDA-8000-62CD112AC24B.jpeg
    3439B836-8265-4DDA-8000-62CD112AC24B.jpeg
    903.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The rules look to be “unique , rarely seen”

A few here. Some with photos. Some simply described.

My T1n ten passenger sprinter had about 70k on the clock when we got it. About 8 hours interstate going home on a very windy day induced buyer’s remorse, to put it mildly. Koni adjustables all round, monster rear aftermarket rear axle roll bar, aftermarket front strut camber shims, Timbren elastomer rear axle bits. Seriously considered for sick grins going to a local autocross event.

The vortex generators are good for about 5% mpg. And They make a vast improvement in cross wind and fast passing big truck buffeting. Over 100k mi they have been on and off. Zero doubt. Google Air Tab for excellent info. Canadian outfit selling mostly to otr freight companies. Base level research done
45961009-F8A9-47D0-B4A5-3CE725FB758B.jpeg
by NACA in 1930s. I actually did my own because I do shit like that. You WILL hear “snake oil” from the cocktail party congenital intuitive aero engineers. Coast down testing. Log books.

Build out requirements. Must be able to function as steel tent. Must be able to go back to ten passenger airport shuttle, tour bus when the young folks arrive from UK and or NZ.

All furniture is J bolted to seat mounts. With a helper and two hours a complete change out is possible.

Pillion bed across in back rests on window sills. Set up 4 minutes.

The ARB refer/freezer is brilliant.

989C4706-AF19-4751-9974-80C4EA50336B.jpeg
79DA81E0-3399-4CDA-8E46-683743501B31.jpeg
You sir , appear to be a lunatic . In the best way possible . Is the air intake on the front of the van for engine cooling or aero benefit ? and could you share more pictures of the trailer modifications ? Thanks

You sir , appear to be a lunatic . In the best way possible . Is the air intake on the front of the van for engine cooling or aero benefit ? and could you share more pictures of the trailer modifications ? Thanks
Flattery is always welcome. 😎

Scoop to force feed an auxiliary trans fluid cooler. Trailers put constant increased load on a trans and cooked fluid is very bad for a transmission. Mountains make the problem much worse and that rig goes only to up and down places.

There are some trailer pics in the trailer thread. Maybe I’ll do some exterior photos of genuinely looney exterior bits tomorrow. Loading and heading out.

Flattery is always welcome. 😎

Scoop to force feed an auxiliary trans fluid cooler. Trailers put constant increased load on a trans and cooked fluid is very bad for a transmission. Mountains make the problem much worse and that rig goes only to up and down places.

There are some trailer pics in the trailer thread. Maybe I’ll do some exterior photos of genuinely looney exterior bits tomorrow. Loading and heading out.
Very interesting , especially the lower fender wings/steps on the trailer . Have you tried a full below bumper air dam on the van to close in the front ?

Very interesting , especially the lower fender wings/steps on the trailer . Have you tried a full below bumper air dam on the van to close in the front ?
No. MB has wind tunnels, has had for a very long time. If fuel prices in NA were remotely like ROW there would have been wind tunnels and university engineering aero programs here also. I’m not going to improve that front in my dreams…

Back
Top Bottom