What's new

Motocross or dual sport boots?

Yinzer Moto

Member Number
What do you prefer? I have used many dual sport boots, trials boots and motocross boots. I am hung up on the protection that motocross boots offer but they are bulky. I have smashed my feet pretty bad in dual sport and trials boots but they sure are comfortable. I run some older Gaerne SG10 boots, they are very porous these days, my feet will get wet on the first drop of rain, but they also dry out almost instantly.

Logger boots. Not kidding. They've been my boot of choice for years now. I've dumped the bike many times, got into a 65mph slide, mud, water, rocks, 30º temps, have been great.

MX boots.... I've worn trials boots and DS boots (prefer trials for a light boot), but stick with a MX boot on heavier bikes. I was a long time Gaerne SG10 user, but they are very heavy. You do get spoiled with how light trials boots are! I just got a pair of Forma Pilot MX boots. I think they will offer good protection, and they are way lighter than the SG10's!

Old Stand by Boots are the Alpine Stars 7 ENDURO's

Got me some Gaerne Fastbacks, my new Favorites for Trail riding

1644113014203.png

Last edited:
Forma's - they run big or small?

hard to find a good boot in size 14

I’m a noob, but like my Forma mx Terra’s. Motocross boots with a higher traction sole. All I know is they’re a million times more comfortable than my Alpinestar tech 3’s were, and offer far better protection, in my mind. The very bizarre inch thick shin guard portion is clunky as hell, though. I’m wearing heavy protection because I suck, not because I’m doing triples or whatever.

I wear a size 15 and finding boots is a total PITA. I have been wearing the same pair of High Points, metal shin plate and all for 22 years. Brian at Atomic Moto convinced me to try the Sidi Crossfire 2 TAs. These have a wide toe box, run true to size and have the excellent protection of a modern boot. They are comfortable enough to walk around it.
I do have a pair of Aerostich Combat boots that I wear when I am road riding my 1090. I have worn the Combat boots offroad a bit but now that I have the Sidi boots and am aware of the difference in protection the Sidis are my go to boot.

I was impressed with the Garene Fastbacks, did not feel like they needed much to break in at all

I’m a noob, but like my Forma mx Terra’s. Motocross boots with a higher traction sole. All I know is they’re a million times more comfortable than my Alpinestar tech 3’s were, and offer far better protection, in my mind. The very bizarre inch thick shin guard portion is clunky as hell, though. I’m wearing heavy protection because I suck, not because I’m doing triples or whatever.

When you are hauling ass down a trail and see the guy in front hold his foot out in front and you wonder WTF he is doing just before the sapling he is bending out of the way springs back as he passes it and the fucking thing almost tears your leg off, then you understand the shin padding.

I was damned glad to be in my Crossfires instead of my Sidi Adventures that day.

Depends, I ride in both ( not at the same time of course). But it depends on the ride. Road and light dual sport get the Forms Terra Evo and more gnarly dual sport and strictly off road get the Gaerne Fastbacks. Both great boots for different purposes.

When you are hauling ass down a trail and see the guy in front hold his foot out in front and you wonder WTF he is doing just before the sapling he is bending out of the way springs back as he passes it and the fucking thing almost tears your leg off, then you understand the shin padding.

I was damned glad to be in my Crossfires instead of my Sidi Adventures that day.

I bought a pair of Sidi Adventure boots. I think the second day I had them, I kicked a stump that was hiding in some grass. Bent my toes backward. It did not tickle. I think it was a combination of the sole that had tread and refused to slide back on the peg, and the flexibility of the soles.

Thanks. He's around here, but I don't know how often he's logged in. I've talked with him online and over the phone, and I was happy to see him register.
I have the feet of a mere mortal, so I was asking about larger sizes out of curiosity more than anything else.

If he didn't register as "Boot Whisperer", I am disappoint.

I'm I the camp of using the right boot for the riding that I will be doing which, down here, means a good dual sport boot like the BMW Gravel boot. Most of the off-road we were able to do is slowly disappearing....

Back
Top Bottom