What's new

My New (To Me) Tent. ORC Industries ICS

DJ_MI

Voted Class Clown 1937
Member Number
It seems durable, easy to pitch, and the tent stakes are short enough to be more manageable to strap on my bike.

It's only my second season riding and I've never camped off a bike before so this will be a whole new challenge.

What kind of tents are you guys using?

142708-2T.jpg

I've been using a North Face Rock for years. For me, being waterproof is perhaps the most important. Your tent with the open fly by the door will have a challenge staying dry.

I was gonna ask....no vestibule or rain fly on that side?

I use a Mountainsmith Morrison 3. I know it's a 3 person, but I need the extra room.

9e2de92134fe5032466691029b0b53cd.jpg

Mountainsmith makes great tents for the money!

I've been using a North Face Rock for years. For me, being waterproof is perhaps the most important. Your tent with the open fly by the door will have a challenge staying dry.

It looks like it can be configured in different ways. This shows the vestebule on the main door side:
441816_01_acu_army_new_combat_tent_640.jpg

I didn't want to spend a ton of money until I know more specifically what my needs will be. I got this one used for $90. Other than some pine needles inside, it looks brand new.

I was gonna ask....no vestibule or rain fly on that side?

I use a Mountainsmith Morrison 3. I know it's a 3 person, but I need the extra room.

9e2de92134fe5032466691029b0b53cd.jpg

Mountainsmith makes great tents for the money!
That's nice!

I have a few tents already, but nothing with size/weight/portability in mind.

It seems durable, easy to pitch, and the tent stakes are short enough to be more manageable to strap on my bike.

It's only my second season riding and I've never camped off a bike before so this will be a whole new challenge.

What kind of tents are you guys using?

142708-2T.jpg
That picture is the "right"way to pitch that. The door is military-grade waterproof so you might stay dry. I've spent a few nights in one of those. Really really durable but heavy. My current is an MSR Hubba hubba

That picture is the "right"way to pitch that. The door is military-grade waterproof so you might stay dry. I've spent a few nights in one of those. Really really durable but heavy. My current is an MSR Hubba hubba

Good to know. Yeah, it definitely seems durable. It's much thicker material than conventional tents.

That MSR is a great looking tent! How do you like it?

Good to know. Yeah, it definitely seems durable. It's much thicker material than conventional tents.

That MSR is a great looking tent! How do you like it?
I would really really have to like the person I am sharing it with to consider it a 2-person tent. I got it second hand so I am not sure it is worth full MSRP. The hub pole setup makes it more complicated to repair/maintain than an independent pole setup. I like the two doors and two vestibules. Gear can go on one side and I can access it from within the tent and the other side can be used for ingress/egress and I can put my boots or shoes there. For car camping I have picked up a Kamp-Rite tent cot and wish they made an Ultra light version. That thing is pure luxury.

I love my MSR Hubba Hubba. 2 side doors and 2 big vestibules is what makes it for me plus it's a bit lighter than my last one.
IMG_3312_heic-XL.jpg

My Mtn Hardware Night View was an excellent tent but the small vestibule and single door at the bottom weren't working for me on the bike. Plus being a 3+ season tent it was a bit heavy. 15 years later I sold it for good $$.
photo%204-XL.jpg

I love my MSR Hubba Hubba. 2 side doors and 2 big vestibules is what makes it for me plus it's a bit lighter than my last one.
IMG_3312_heic-XL.jpg

My Big Agnes Rattlesnake SL2 looks just like this. Great tents. I like being able to keep my riding gear inside to ward off ticks, which are a big problem where I live.

I like the Exped brand tents and currently have an Orion III that is free standing as well.. It is fairly light but it has stood up to some wicked storms as did my previous Andromeda model that, sadly, isn't made anymore. That was a bombproof tunnel tent with a huge vestibule but not free standing. I'd rather have a few extra pounds in tent than give up weather resistance or comfort but YMMV..

I got to use my ORC tent a few times this season. I'd never camped off a bike before so I didn't know what to expect but it worked out pretty good. I'm excited to do it a lot more next year.

The tent is pretty rugged for its size so it's pretty heavy. The tent itself is 2lbs 9.9oz and the fly is 2lbs 9.1oz. That's 6.1lbs total. I considered using a lightweight tarp instead of the fly which would have saved about a pound but decided not to.

It was pretty cramped but not too bad. I didn't get rained on but it sure seems like it should hold up a lot better than my family style dome tent I use for truck camping.

2022-09-13 22.06.56.jpg
2022-10-04 21.03.28.jpg

Well I added a Hilleberg Nammatj 3 GT tent to my inventory and used it this summer and now understand why they are pricey and popular.They are the best quality I have ever seen and I have had my share of tents in the past 50 years of camping. This Hilleberg is similar to the Exped Andromeda I used for years, and although not free standing like the Orion 3, the large vestibule is simply something I missed the most. Being able to sit in a chair and boil water for coffee inside in crap weather is priceless IMHO.

B92B2683-8CD3-4C6D-9B77-64269F119508.jpeg

Now just be sure to stay out of the hammock rabbit hole.
No way! Rabbit holes are my grand distraction to life’s stressors. Motorcycle adventuring has proven to be my grandest distraction yet :D

My tent setup on the MABDR in September.

IMG_20220925_185936-X2.jpg

I like this tent so much that I bought another one! They are just about all gone.

The floor in my old one is pretty torn up from using a cot in it for several years.

I've switched to a Nemo air mattress. I needed a new tent for my TAT trip this coming spring.

Back
Top Bottom